Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Possible Blu Ray hd via component

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Greg T

Greg T

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted February 12 2006 - 04:31 AM

If the Japanese Blu Ray players are going to be the same region as the U.S. this time around, and the Japanese players will not use ICT in there players, couldn't you just import a Japanese Blu Ray player if you have no hdcp/ hdmi, and use component?

Would this be legal?
I already have a 720p pj that accepts a 1080p input, and will upgrade to 1080p when street prices hit 5-6k, but was thinking that others could possibly go this route.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Aaron_Brez

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor

• 792 posts

Posted February 13 2006 - 03:01 AM

Since there is no law making ICT (or respect for ICT) mandatory in the United States, importing such a device should be legal as long as it didn't violate any other trade restrictions.

The DMCA does make it illegal to sell or import devices which defeat a "content protection" mechanism, so there is some small chance that this could be considered illegal; however, I don't think Hollywood wants to see the "content protection" aspects of ICT debated in a court of law, because I think they know they would lose.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   FrancisP

FrancisP

Screenwriter

• 1,115 posts

Posted February 13 2006 - 04:45 AM

You can apparently buy and sell region-free dvd players. The american version of Amazon.com sells them. Hardly think they could do it if it were illegal. I don't see where buying a same region HD player would be different.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted February 13 2006 - 10:58 AM

HD-DVD has dropped region registration. BD, at this time, has not. Will just have to wait & see, like everything else in these fake fact's HD days.
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!