What's new

Several Fox Classics dvd releases on May 23rd! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's not a bad list, but of course, somebody's favorites are not among them. For me it's "The Gunfighter", but at least "Yellow Sky" is coming out.
  • 100 Rifles
  • Back Door to Hell
  • Compulsion
  • The Culpepper Cattle Company
  • Decision Before Dawn
  • Guns at Batasi
  • The Immortal Sergeant
  • The Last Wagon
  • The Longest Day 2-disc SE
  • Murder, Inc.
  • Patton 2-disc SE
  • The Proud Ones
  • The Seven-Ups
  • These Thousand Hills
  • Tora!Tora!Tora! 2-disc SE
  • Yellow Sky
  • You're in the Navy NOw

Crawdaddy

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Robert!

Some nice titles there! Especially happy about The Seven-Ups, Yellow Sky and Compulsion.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
All good films, all good westerns.

Decision Before Dawn is not the best of the Boetticher - Scott collaborations, but it's still an excellent backlot western with Scott really stretching his emotional range.

I hope there will be some decent extras in the series this time. Why are westerns always shortchanged in the supplement department?

I also wish Fox would issue The Gunfighter, Garden of Evil, and The Hanging Tree on DVD. If they can be released in region 2, why not region 1?

MichaelScott

Stunt Coordinator
Awesome!!...The Seven-ups , Yellow Sky , and The Last Wagon are must buys for me..Sweet!!..caught the last one on TCM a ways back..really enjoyed it.

Charles H

Screenwriter
YOU'RE IN THE NAVY NOW (1951) is also being released, and DECISION BEFORE DAWN has nothing to do with Randolph Scott (DECISION AT SUNSET?). It's a terrific war film with Oscar Wener, Richard Basehart, and Gary Merrill.
Fox rules at being the best studio at bringing out dvds of films making their homevideo debuts. Only COMPULSION, THE IMMORTAL SERGEANT, and THE SEVEN-UPS were on VHS.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Oops, I was thinking of Decision At Sundown (1957), which is Columbia. My mistake.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I was unfamiliar with most of these films so I just ran each name through IMDB and these are the films I am definitely going to purchase :

Compulsion
Decision Before Dawn
The Immortal Sergeant
The Last Wagon
The Proud Ones
Yellow Sky

I am particulary excited about Decision Before Dawn, which sounds really interesting.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Fox Movie Channel has shown several of these films the last year or so, therefore releasing them to dvd isn't any great surprise.

Crawdaddy

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I highly recommend Decision Before Dawn, which has some surreal bombed-out-city scenes. That film has made the rounds of the Cinemax channels for some time. Murder Inc. is a must-have for gangster-movie fans, not to mention Peter Falk fans.

Yellow Sky's release is great news. I just taped "The Silver Whip" off of MoreMax today and heard that ubiquitous Fox western theme that's also used over the titles of "Rawhide" (the '51 movie), "Yellow Sky" and no telling what else. It must give that "Street Scene" melody from the noir films a run for its money as the most-used Fox theme.

The car chase in "The Seven-Ups" is amazing and probably deserves at least some of the attention lavished on the chases in a couple of other movies I could name from that era.

I've noticed the FMC-to-DVD trend in the couple of years I've had the channel. They've also debuted (or at least aired for the first time in more than two years) letterboxed versions of 99 44/100 % Dead, Sons and Lovers, Garden of Evil and The Bottom of the Bottle within the past year, so maybe those are on their way to DVD. Daddy Long Legs (1955) is another title in that group, but it's on its way to DVD. FMC pulled "Back Door to Hell" recently but has several letterboxed showings set in coming weeks.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

But unfortunately, many of the fine films the Fox Movie Channel has run for the past few years remain DOA on DVD:

The Other
The Mephisto Waltz
Jane Eyre (1940)
etc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

The same can be said about some Warner titles with TCM. At least Fox is still releasing some classic films unlike some other studios that have cutback on such releases.

walter o

Supporting Actor
FXM also ran widescreen versions of NICKLE RIDE, KREMLIN LETTER, so hopefully they will finally release those on dVD (as they never released them on VHS)

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator
Lets hope they get "A Hatful of Rain" on to DVD one of these days. Though I'm looking forward to 'Compulsion"

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For those that don't know anything about "Compulsion", it's a film based on the Leopold and Loeb murder case with Orson Welles playing a character definitely based on attorney Clarence Darrow.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
There are several more examples in both the FMC-to-DVD and FMC-or-forget-it categories. Films FMC airs that aren't on DVD include a slew of non-Shirley '30s titles plus The Guru, B.S. I Love You, Kid Blue, Shock Treatment, Curse of the Fly and Desire in the Dust, with these last four being 2.35:1 films that FMC always shows full-screen.

Then there's a third category, to follow what someone mentioned above, in which Fox brings to DVD films that have never had a home-video release. Some of these--such as Nightmare Alley, Where the Sidewalk Ends, Forty Guns and Somewhere in the Night--have had few if any TV showings in the last decade, on FMC or anywhere else. Since I've had FMC, I'm pretty sure Immortal Sergeant, The Last Wagon and These Thousand Hills have never aired. "I.S." is on an old Key VHS, but the other two are 'Scope films that are making their home-video debuts, IIRC.

So maybe there's hope for One Foot in Hell (nice Alan Ladd western, airs on Max channels sometimes), From Hell to Texas (never on TV?), Cry of the City (Siodmak noir, now on obscure Max channels), etc.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I'm interested that you mention Curse of the Fly, because it is scheduled for release in Australia (which almost certainly means UK as well) on March 15th. See for example: http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/785695

I note that 2 of the coming Fox titles were directed by Richard Fleischer. I was reliably informed late last year that Fox will most likely release Fleischer's Violent Saturday (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048790/) sometime this year. I hope he contributes to the extras. His interview for the 20,000 Leagues disc was very informative.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for sharing this information, Mr. Crawford. I'll definitely be adding YELLOW SKY (1948), DECISION BEFORE DAWN (1951; which I've never watched myself) and COMPULSION (1959) to my DVD collection...although, I also wouldn't mind catching THE IMMORTAL SERGEANT (1943) and MURDER, INC. (1960) for the first time, as well as rewatching THE LAST WAGON (1956), 100 RIFLES (1969) and THE SEVEN-UPS (1973):)!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks