Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Woofer replacement in old speaker

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Justin Ward

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor

• 673 posts

Posted February 09 2006 - 09:35 AM

A friend of mine has some speakers that got damaged while in storage. The foam on the woofers has completely rotted away.

Here's the details I could extract about the speakers:

Janus Series 3 - Made By Mittom Industries
Woofer is 8 1/4" total diameter
Speaker is a ported 3-way design
Port is 2" diameter and 2 1/2" length.

I haven't done it yet, but I can approximate the volume of the woofer section.

Anyway, I was wondering how I could go about determining a suitable replacement? These aren't hi-fi speakers and a perfect match is not required, just something that will sound acceptable. I have a multi-meter available as well.

I also found these replacement foam surrounds on ebay. Are these worth looking into?

Thanks in advance,
Justin

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted February 09 2006 - 12:45 PM

You have to pay attention when you buy those kits. This kit is for speakers with a sloped edge. Some speakers have flat edges.

I suggest just ordering them from Parts Express. They sell kits for about $20 that come with both types of surrounds. They also include everything you need, including instructions (which this guy doesn’t) and the adhesive (he’s selling that for an additional $5.00).

Keep in mind that these are generic replacements. If your friend’s speakers had a proprietary surround, you’re probably out of luck. Fortunately, most speakers will use one of the surrounds in the kits.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Justin Ward

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor

• 673 posts

Posted April 15 2006 - 01:10 PM

Hi,
I was away from this project for a while. Just wanted to verify that this surround replacement will work ok before I order. I measured the diameter of the cone itself to be 5,7/8" and the outer is just shy of 8,1/4".

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Justin Ward

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor

• 673 posts

Posted May 11 2006 - 09:51 AM

Anyone?

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted June 15 2006 - 12:08 PM

I'm not sure anyone wants to be responsible for giving you the go ahead on refoaming your woofers in case it doesn't work. Posted Image

I've never done it personally.. so I can't say. But, if you're unsure on the measurements... NEW FOAM has assorted sizes and explains how the measurements are laid out. You can even send your drivers in to them to have them do 'em. Also, check locally, there might be some local audio places left over from the 70's in your area that'll recone/refoam a driver for you. I know my brother has had to have his Bo$e refoamed several times. Posted Image But it was expensive.

It doesn't look too complicated from the Partsexpress instructions... I'd say, if you're pretty good with following written instructions and have decent hand-eye coordination.... go for it. Posted Image

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Todd Stout

Todd Stout

Screenwriter

• 1,034 posts

Posted June 15 2006 - 12:25 PM

You could always send the woofers to a place the repairs speakers. I found a place locally that does it and the guy charges $35 per woofer to refoam them. I am guessing that other places charge about the same for that sort of service.

Here are a couple I have found online:
http://www.speakerrepair.com/
http://www.circlestereo.com/

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   DorianBryant

DorianBryant

Screenwriter

• 1,552 posts

Posted June 15 2006 - 11:53 PM

I love it when people throw away or sell speakers without or rotted surrounds. This is a very easy fix. The kits at PE work fine and it takes no time at all. Yes, order the kit and fix the speakers. It is as simple as it seems. Just take your time.