What's new

JohnnyG?, Beuhler? Panny CT36HX41 help! (1 Viewer)

DougP

Agent
Hiya folks! I have a serious problem with my brand spanking new CT36HX41. I have read tons of threads on Red Push - I do believe that is the problem I am having (and perhaps a contrast issue). I've ordered the service manual and Avia and I also called the store and they have scheduled a tech to come out and look (I figured give them a chance before giving it back). I'd like to be "armed" when the tech comes though, I don't want him saying it's my cables or my DVD player...
Also - I'd love to be able to watch my TV sooner than 2 weeks from now!
My questions for you guys are kinda twofold. I found Link Removed a baseline for fixing Panny red-push problems in service mode, at least for a 47WX49. My problem is I have a CT36HX41 and there are differences in the service mode. His tweak says to set R-Y_A to 00. My set doesn't have R-Y_A, it has B-Y_G and a set of other adjustments that are not listed on his tweak page: CUT G, CUT R, CUT B, R DR, B DR. Anyone want to translate what "R-Y_A set to 00" would be equivelent to? (Actually I have referenced http://www.calanan.com/panasonic/ which does mention those settings but I don't know what to set them to)
Also my contrast seems extremely dark on DVD and I can't seem to set any picture settings while in DVD (component 1) mode. I've got a Toshiba SD2300 (non progressive scan) and when I go into service mode on the TV and am watching the component 1 it disables access to all of the video settings in service mode! (plus MTS and SUB). I can adjust my pincushin? stuff but not color/contrast. I don't have any way to trigger the 480p and 1080i modes so I guess I don't need to worry about adjusting them either (that'd require progressive scan or HDTV input, right?).
I sure feel that a layman, even a techie guy willing to play around should not have to go through all this crap in order to watch a great picture on what I heard to be a very nice TV. I mean I don't mind learning and tweaking but when you've got 30 days and a girlfriend breathing down your neck to return the damned thing!...
Any other resources/comments might be helpful. Has ANYONE tweaked a CTxxHX4x? Can someone tell me all will be well someday? :) I see Costco has the 36XBR450 for nearly the same price, perhaps I should junk this?!
thanks all, you've always been so helpful...
-Doug

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Doug, the CUT and DRV controls have nothing to do with the color decoder. They are for balancing the grey scale, which can't be done properly without a color analyser. In short, don't touch them!
Your B-Y_G is for the color decoder though. This control should affect the amount of blue in the picture. Set up all the regular user parameters with Avia first (contrast/brightness/color/tint). Now enter the service mode and put the Avia Color Decoder Check pattern on the screen. Using the red filter, find out how much red push you have. Now, using the blue filter, modify the value of B-Y_G to raise the blue level to about 5% less than the red was (if red was 15% push, then adjust blue to about 10% push).
Now go back and re-do the color and tint setting and then re-measure the color decoder. Red push should be less, but watch out for green pull! You want to find a good balance and it may take some back and forth. Ultimately, you'll still end up with some red push, but try to keep it below 10%
As for the rest of your questions, I have no experience with this particular set, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Mike Mallory

Agent
I don't agree. Why not set the red push to 0% and then try to match it with the blue. When using this method with my older HX40, the green fell into line within 5%. A beautiful picture.
- Mike

DougP

Agent
Thanks SO much guys.
Mike - as near as I can tell I don't have a red-push adjustment. I only have B-Y_G which Johnny points out is for adjusting the blue.
I just got the service manual tonight. It really is over my head for the most part (although I do find the section on the service MODE useful). I was hoping it would actually describe each setting but it does not.
Also Mike you said you have the HX40. Does it have R-Y_A adjustment? Also - are you able to adjust the component input colors? (I mentioned that mode turns off when I select component 1).
thanks again,
-Doug

DougP

Agent
Thanks JohnnyG - I finally got my Avia DVD and was able to make some significant improvements last night. I _think_ I have red push at or below 10%. Avia's pretty complex so I'm going to have to get used to it and explore more.
One thing - the color decoder seems to be always off when I'm on the DVD (component 1) - so all adjustments are being made with it off. That's fine for my DVDs but when in TV/cable mode the decoder goes back on - I can turn it off but this just seems kinda crazy to not be able to adjust the picture via Avia.
I guess I'll just keep monitoring the boards for more info on tweaking this TV. Sucks that so much has to be done with it - I'm not sure if I can recommend the TV or not. And I'm still contemplating returning it and getting back on the market for another model (RCA's new one looks good!).
Anyone think I should trash the Panny and go to something else? I'm just afraid I'll end up with some other or similar problem...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks