Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Paul Weller (of The Jam) attacks rock legends in silly diatribe

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted February 09 2006 - 07:15 AM

Quote:
PAUL WELLER ATTACKS BOWIE, MERCURY, STING, GELDOF AND BONO

As reported by www.virgin.net and others:

Fresh from his excrement-eating broadside at James Blunt, Paul Weller has launched a vitriolic attack on several massive names from the music world. The former Jam frontman tore into David Bowie, Freddie Mercury, Sting, U2 and Bob Geldof in a vicious tirade.

Weller, who is to receive a Lifetime Achievement Award at this years Brits, launched a scathing attack on past winners of the award [in an interview with Uncut Magazine].

The 'Modfather' stated: "Bob Geldof. What'd he win it for? Can't be for his music, man. I mean, if it's for his charity work in Africa then you can't knock it, but Boomtown Rats, f*** off." The 'Town Called Malice' singer did not stop there however, with some harsh words indeed for former 'Police' frontman Sting: "F****** horrible man. Not my cup of tea at all. F****** rubbish. No edge, no attitude, no nothing." Next in the firing line was U2 star Bono: "The whole thing of Bono becoming the Pope - what the f***'s all that about? Pseudo-American rubbish."

Weller, also had no qualms about speaking ill of the dead, remarking on Queen singer Freddie Mercury: "He said he wanted to bring ballet to the working classes. What a c***.

And last but by no means least, Weller remarked that David Bowie should have never received the Lifetime Achievement Award: "Wrong! I like about three records of his. The rest of it's pish."

Aside from the fact that Weller is a never was (not quite accomplished enough to be a has been), Mercury never said what Weller quoted. That line came from Sid Vicious in his famous run-in with Mercury at a recording studio.

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted February 09 2006 - 07:36 AM

Weller has always been a rather dissident person. It sounds like drunken talk, but might not be...? Paul's headmaster of the Style Council, so it all must be true?Posted Image
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted February 09 2006 - 08:22 AM

Well, he's right about Geldof.
No longer here.

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   ChrisCAB

ChrisCAB

Stunt Coordinator

• 115 posts

Posted February 09 2006 - 08:32 AM

While dissing Bowie is always a bad idea, I agree with Paul's comments on Bono (whom I hate), Geldof and Sting.

By the way, the Jam were f'in great. Much better than anyone mentioned in the rant. Don't take me at my word - go listen to Compact Snap.

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted February 09 2006 - 10:24 AM

Quote:
Aside from the fact that Weller is a never was

That's the funniest thing in this thread. The Jam were f'ing brilliant.
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,259 posts

Posted February 09 2006 - 12:19 PM

I like the Jam, but those are pretty asinine comments from a guy who built his fame on a desire to be Pete Townshend. Dude sounds bitter to me...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted February 09 2006 - 01:56 PM

Can anyone say "sour grapes"?

Not quite accurate, since he's getting the same Lifetime Achievement Award too, but I suppose more to do with the fact that the others (save Geldof) were far more successful and made lots more dosh than he did. Whilst Geldof became Sir Bob and nowadays is often seen as Saint Bob too.

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted February 09 2006 - 02:30 PM

Sort of shocked he said that considering on the whole he hasn't said anything like that in the 25 he's been in the public.
Quote:
who built his fame on a desire to be Pete Townshend

Actually the press did that more than anything.I think NME set up the meeting. Since they were the 'new mods' it was a given.

He's always been one to say what he thinks, he just normally bit his tongue.

The Jam couldn't get a parking ticket in the US but they obtained fame in England that only was exceeded by the Beatles.

I just watched him on the Tom Snyder Show DVD and he came off so decent......something pissed him off.

I don't disagree with him just surprised
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" G. Marx

Sony TAE/TAP/TAN(2)9000ES;DVP-CX860 DVP-CX777ES
Sony CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355 CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355
Sony S-TS 700ES XPR32450Pioneer Elite CLD 79 KEFs (5) Q75s & 20B Subwoofer

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted February 09 2006 - 04:25 PM

Quote:
The Jam couldn't get a parking ticket in the US but they obtained fame in England that only was exceeded by the Beatles.

Ah, I didn't know they weren't as well regarded on this side of the pond.
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Marc_E

Marc_E

Supporting Actor

• 771 posts

Posted February 09 2006 - 10:51 PM

Weller sells out 100K+ shows over in europe, but here he is just not well known. I saw him just a few months ago here in Boston at a medium sized club. He was amazing. The place was packed but I would say 2K max.
Marc

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted February 09 2006 - 11:55 PM

Quote:
the others (save Geldof) were far more successful and made lots more dosh than he did

Geldof is in fact a very rich man (but through business ventures rather than music).

Quote:

Not so, I'm afraid. The Jam certainly had a lot of hit singles over here in the UK and they were the critics' darlings because they had the 'correct' left of centre political attitudes. However, there wasn't 'Jam mania'. The group was popular at a time when pop was beginning to fragment into the sub-genres we see today. The band was popular amongst teen and twenties males into 'new wave' as opposed to new romanticism. They were a band whose singles followers of that style of music would buy unheard because you knew they would be good, pretty much as you would for Elvis Costello at that time. But nobody was particularly gutted when they split up (largely because the last few singles showed a tailing-off of form into anaemic soul rather than the andrenaline-fuelled angst of the earlier singles).

Another near-contemporary band Madness had as many (or more?) hits and have lasted better in the general public's imagination but at the time were seen as a lightweight novelty act (which is drivel - they were musically far more interesting than the Jam and capable of far greater insight: as proof, listen to The Rise and Fall Of ... album).

As regards Weller's comments, I believe it's not the first time he's said something to outrage readers. If memory serves me correctly, when The Jam first started, he got a lot of trendy left-wingers annoyed when he said he would vote Conservative (i.e. our mainstream right-wing party - the equivalent would be your Republican party). He later changed his views.

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted February 10 2006 - 05:46 AM

Quote:
But nobody was particularly gutted when they split up

Well you are wrong on that one because I was and I am sure there was a few others

I remember buying a MM or a NME and The Jam sweeping every award except female singer but like you said they were critics darlings which doesn't translate into sales.I didn't live there at the time and that's what I was going on.

Quote:
I believe it's not the first time he's said something to outrage readers.

True, I think he was always honest and said what he believed but never slams like that.
Must of been a bad day
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" G. Marx

Sony TAE/TAP/TAN(2)9000ES;DVP-CX860 DVP-CX777ES
Sony CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355 CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355
Sony S-TS 700ES XPR32450Pioneer Elite CLD 79 KEFs (5) Q75s & 20B Subwoofer

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,227 posts

Posted February 10 2006 - 08:43 AM

Quote:
That line came from Sid Vicious in his famous run-in with Mercury at a recording studio

What happened there?
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted February 10 2006 - 08:41 PM

Quote:
What happened there?

To quote from this site (I knew the story already, but it saved me some typing):

Quote:
Queen and The Sex Pistols were recording albums in London's West End when Sid Vicious wandered into the wrong studio to find Mercury alone at the piano." "Ah, Freddie Mercury, still bringing ballet to the massses are you?" hissed Vicious. "Oh yes, Mr Ferocious, dear," Mercury bit back. 'We are doing our best."

I think it's also worth remembering that at the time of that exchange Queen were not critically popular. They were seen as part of the rock dinosaurs meant to be swept away by punk rock et al and when they played Sun City in apartheid-era South Africa they lost a vast amount of credibility (at least in Europe). It wasn't until Live Aid that their reputation was restored, and from there of course it has continued to rise ever since.

Quote:
Well you are wrong on that one because I was and I am sure there was a few others

Okay, I'll revise the statement from 'nobody was particularly gutted' to 'not everybody was particularly gutted' (which is what I meant to write in the first place, honest).Posted Image

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   FeisalK

FeisalK

Screenwriter

• 1,245 posts

Posted February 10 2006 - 09:50 PM

Down in the Tube Station remains one of my favourite songs
>
DVD-A registry for hirez/surround audio
Bluray, DVD-Audio, DAD/HDAD, DualDisc, MVI

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Manus

Manus

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted February 11 2006 - 12:01 AM

but those are pretty asinine comments from a guy who built his fame on a desire to be Pete Townshend.

Absolutely , on the button. And my 2 nephews ( pre-teens) both love listening to the Beatles but have no idea who or what PW is and when I played some from a collection they thought it was sh**e.Its almost blasphomous to compare one to the other

~M~
I have just two words to say to you..... Shut the f*** up !

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow