-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A new look ....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Michael Hartwig

Michael Hartwig

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted February 08 2006 - 11:26 AM

For all you diy'ers out there. To me, the beauty of the diy route is you have a lot of control. So let the ideas flow. I made these for my brother-in-law. He wants to finish them. I usually like to do that process myself, it can make or break the final look. He's pretty competent guy so I feel confident the end result will suit the look I invision.
So without further ado; here is my concept. For the speakers I'm using Peerless drivers with the cross-overs designed by Ed Frias. Thx Ed for the great sound.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 of 6 PaulT

PaulT

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts

Posted February 08 2006 - 11:32 AM

Michael - very nice lines, I'm very impressed by the stands and how they integrate into the speakers. You have an excellent eye for detail !
"One of the problems of taking things apart and seeing how they work--supposing you're trying to find out how a cat works--you take that cat apart to see how it works, what you've got in your hands is a non-working cat." -- Douglas Adams

#3 of 6 Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted February 09 2006 - 03:18 AM

Very Nice! What species of wood are they? hard to tell from the picture.

-EJ
 Visit my blog coregeek.net

#4 of 6 Michael Hartwig

Michael Hartwig

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted February 09 2006 - 04:01 AM

The woods used are Red Oak on the body cabinets (3/4 MDF with 1/4" oak veneered plywood) and the stands and trim (for the 45 deg. chamfer) are from solid mahogany.

I like working with mahogany. Shapes very well. I use it quite a bit in my furniture builds.

#5 of 6 Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter

• 1,869 posts

Posted February 09 2006 - 07:43 AM

Very nice. Has a "high end" audio feel to it and the wood craftsmanship looks like the work of a hired professional.

I do like the look of solid wood edges. My friend and I built a pair of Jordan JX92s bookshelfs that were made of aluminum laminated MDF and our client wanted 1/4" solid maple edges that turned out awsome. I wish I had more pics of our stuff...

For some reason I like metal and acrylic along with maple.

The Mahogany is nice. Are you going to put a stain or finish on it? Or just a sanding sealer and clear coat?

#6 of 6 dave alan

dave alan

Second Unit

• 256 posts

Posted February 10 2006 - 04:55 AM

Outstanding work! Great design, great execution. Congrats on a job well done and a huge tip 'o the hat.Posted Image

Bosso