Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What do you think is the best/ultimate...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Paul-D

Paul-D

Stunt Coordinator

• 130 posts

Posted February 08 2006 - 10:30 AM

receiver/pre-amp on the market right now. Throw price out the window, I want to know your thoughts on the absolute best one out there and why. Thank you.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Steve_Blazer

Steve_Blazer

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted February 08 2006 - 10:52 AM

Classe or Halcro.

Some people swear by Krell but having never heard one I cant comment.

I think Mark Levinson stuff is a little overpriced for what it does .. though it is spectacularly good Posted Image

Aparrently theyve had some reliabilty issues lately though.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,556 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted February 08 2006 - 11:48 AM

Receiver - Denon 5805 Posted Image
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted February 08 2006 - 12:10 PM

For what? Music, Movies or Both?

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   LarryQW

LarryQW

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted February 08 2006 - 06:33 PM

for the denon anyway both i'd say, but never heard the 5805 Posted Image since its so expensive i havent seen it, but as for best/ultimate receiver/pre-amp when you spend that kind of money, its just a matter of personal opinion anyway.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Jongyoon Lee

Jongyoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted February 09 2006 - 04:21 AM

Denon 5805 is like a Chevy Corvette, the best Denon can do, and it's probably pretty good. Then there are exotics like Levinson, Lexicon, Classe, and Krell. They are like Ferraris and Porsche.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,945 posts

Posted February 09 2006 - 11:20 PM

imho, the "best" is a relative term to everyone. in this "post-THX" world we live in, almost all components have surpassed THX specs (thus, rendering THX somewhat useless in the a/v world). of course, it was them that brought the standard so high that nowadays, you can spend $300 and get a REALLY nice a/v receiver for most average sized homes. i think the question now becomes, where's that thresh-hold of quality where the $ you throw at it gives you back the same amount of quality it used to.

personally, i like onkyo's NR 10000:
Posted Image
i loved the fact that it's upgradeable. for all intents&purposes the NR1000 is already compatible with Dolby Digital HD, True HD, DTS-HD. why? if you have an empty slot, you can buy an upgrade, plug it into the receiver and voila, it's like getting a new receiver. the problem is that modular design costs a lot up front =). i love the future-capable thinking, it's awesome.

the 2nd one i like is Denon's recent new lines from 3806 through 4806. the reason is features. because the quality is pretty relatively good across the spectrum, the big selling point of a good a/v receiver AND separate becomes "what features do i want/need?". i think modern shoppers should be asking that question more than anything else. i like 4806 cause i have a HTPC and prefer to use the analog outputs, so i can definitely utilize the 7.1 external input on 4806 IN ADDITION to DVD-Audio/SACD player's 5.1 analog input. i like the video up and DOWN conversion, somehthing you don't see often. i believe only 4806 has the down part, the lower ones only upconvert analog to HDMI/Component. i also like their SACD/DVD-AUdio digital hookup, if you can afford their universal players =).

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Levesque

Levesque

Supporting Actor

• 587 posts

Posted February 10 2006 - 02:17 AM

New Anthem Statement D2 with a Gennum scaler and HDMI switching. There is no other pre/pro with that kind of video processing at any price. Paired with the Anthem P2 and P5, it's really something.