What's new

How about an anamorphic SE of Cabaret? (1 Viewer)

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I know Warners are doing an amazing job with their back-catalog issues and SE reissues, so I hope this doesn't come across as a gripe. But I've been puzzled that they have never upgraded their original DVD of Cabaret to an anamorphic Special Edition. I hope it won't be too much longer before this is rectified. Would anyone else welcome a Cabaret SE?

DennisPCJr

Agent
Im wondering why nobody has said anything at these Warner chats about the horrible copy of Cabaret that Warner has out. It looks as bad as Return of the Pink Panther....Ill use that as an example. Its not 16.9 its not 5.1 and looks like it was run over several times. It won so many Oscars too which is why im so puzzled it hasn't gotten better treatment

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Excellent questions, Warner needs to address this shortcoming. Next year is it's 35th anniversary.

Crawdaddy

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
The 2nd "release" was the exact same disc, just repackaged.

I absolutely agree that a proper Hi-Definition 16x9 transfer is in order, and I would think this must be in WB's plans, unless there's a problem....

This film has dual ownership.

In the U.S., it's owned by WB because Lorimar purchased Allied Artists, who held domestic rights.

Overseas, it's owned by Disney, because ABC Pictures was purchased by Disney, and ABC had overseas rights.

So, the question is, is there a good anamorphic DVD elsewhere in the international market?

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
One of my favorites. Wish it would be given an acceptable transfer. At least ... perhaps... a reason to look forward to high definition?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
If I recall, Allied Artists junked the original negative for some reason. I don't know if it's true or not, but it could explain why it wasn't remastered for DVD.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The other thing yet to be mentioned in this thread is the TERRIBLE audio on the current DVD and laser. The 2-channel stereo LP and CD soundtrack sound INCREDIBLE...yet the songs and the entire film sound so muddy, so lacking in HF detail that it sounds like a bad cassette tape not recorded for noise reduction played back with Dolby C.

If they could at *least* re-mix the musical numbers so they could be incorporated in hi-fi stereo back into the movie ala Rocky Horror, that would be better than leaving everything sounding bad all the time. I can handle some flat mono-sounding dialogue from a 70s movie...but when Liza starts to crank-out Mein Heir...I want to hear the speakers explode with life like they do with the CD soundtrack.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I bought FremantleMedia's region 0 PAL version in the UK, which claimed it was 16x9 anamorphic (I could always convert it to 24p), but it was not.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I understand that the audio that Warners used is the best that they have.
Using audio from the cd/lp version could be tough. It has a lot of added album reverb on the vocals and that doesn't go well with a vid mix. It doesn't look as if the singing is coming out of the actors mouths.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I've spent a lot of time with that soundtrack album and I'm convinced that 99% of the "reverb" is actually real acoustic information in the mix. In fact, the Japanese import CD (which was available well before it was on CD in the US) is a boni-fide "audiophile" recording...one of the most analog sounding CDs I own.

In any case, the audio of Rocky Horror is very similar in that the character of the sound changes dramatically from the regular movie dialogue to the musical numbers. But it works well and the music sounds great.

Certainly, using the CD elements as a source couldn't sound any *worse* than the DVD currently does!

dave :)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
David Boulet - listen to the actual film of cabaret - listen to Wilkomen. Listen to liza sing Maybe This Time, Mein Herr and Cabaret.
There aint no reverb there. The tracks that made the movie are also that tracks that made the soundtrack album, and as in most soundtracks in those days, reverb was added.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Joe Caps - listen to the actual film of Cabaret. The audio is so muffled and filtered and noise-gated that any acoustic decay that might have been there in the session tapes has been filtered away leaving a very dead, lifeless result that sounds much less "accurate" than the CD recordings...reverb or no reverb. The sound of the audio on the laser and DVD does not indicate whether the "decay" in the CD recording is added reverb or is real acoustic information present in the original source tapes. I've heard that WB had to get rid of an electronic buz/humm in one of the channels so they filtered all the HF out of both channels to get a buzz-free balanced result. I'd imagine that such serious filtering could have removed a great degree of real musical information making the audio we hear on our home-video media bear little resemblance to the session takes.

In any event, the CD sounds BETTER to my ears...and I've even synced it with the DVD during key scenes a few times to "watch" some of the songs and it looked/sounded GREAT. (did the same thing with Willy Wonka...what fun)

;)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
If they still have the session recordings sans reverb, they can just loop the songs in. Do they still exist?

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
No the sessions minus the reverb no longer exist.
I also have the old CBS/Fox laserdisc which is NOT muffled, etc and it does not have the reverb either.
These songs were recorded in a tiny studio in Rome that had no decay at all.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
There's an older laserdisc with decent sound? Then there's our answer...WB can use the PCM of that master for a new DVD. I don't know why this obvious solution is so rarely used with DVD releases where 2.0 audio just pulled off the laser would easily beat the poor DVD-prepared audio!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Hate to have to revive a long-dead thread, but...

It's the 35th anniversary. No remaster/restoration is on the horizon. Is there any more news?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks