Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

After M*A*S*H and W*A*L*T*E*R

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Charlie Kaus

Charlie Kaus

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted February 08 2006 - 08:16 AM

Since M*A*S*H will be finishing up its run later this year I was wondering if there were any plans to release either of these 2 spinoffs? W*A*L*T*E*R was only one episode so maybe they could piggy-back it onto something.

Charlie

#2 of 9 David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,086 posts

Posted February 08 2006 - 09:47 AM

I know lots of M*A*S*H fans are wondering about this since supposedly the main series will finish up on DVD this year. I remember watching After M*A*S*H and being VERY disappointed. It just wasn't the same when the focus was around 3 formerly supporting players. The show didn't last long and for good reason. M*A*S*H had long since run out of steam so I'm guessing there was just nothing left to give to the spinoff. I think Hot Lips would have made a much better spinoff. If Klinger ain't wearing a dress then I ain't interested.

I've heard about the Gary Burghoff pilot for years but I don't recall if it ever got an airing. If it did I probably saw it and just don't remember.
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#3 of 9 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,886 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted February 09 2006 - 01:38 AM

Quote:
I've heard about the Gary Burghoff pilot for years but I don't recall if it ever got an airing. If it did I probably saw it and just don't remember.

I was thinking it was an episode of AfterMASH that was being used as an "in-show" pilot to test the waters, but maybe I'm misremembering it. I gave up on AfterMASH shortly after the second season started.

#4 of 9 Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,271 posts

Posted February 09 2006 - 02:34 AM

The Way they are dumping TV Series to DVD now I would say the chances are a lot better than I thought they were a few years ago. I passed on the Series when CBS ran it , as alot have, so I doubt I'd buy it on DVD. Mash Concluded it's long run perfectly, it did not need to continue
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#5 of 9 Brad P

Brad P

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted February 09 2006 - 02:15 PM

As a huge M*A*S*H fan who isn't old enough to remember After M*A*S*H, I'd probably Netflix a release of the spinoff out of morbid curiosity. But I don't expect it to be very good.

#6 of 9 Charlie Kaus

Charlie Kaus

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted February 09 2006 - 02:16 PM

I found some info on the W*A*L*T*E*R pilot at bestcareanywhere dot net. I don't have enough posts to put a link on here but if you go to the site and look under spinoffs you'll find it. Also does anyone know if Trapper John M.D. might make it onto DVD?

#7 of 9 Rob Dwyer

Rob Dwyer

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted February 10 2006 - 02:55 AM

TV Obsurities has a very detailed article on W*A*L*T*E*R

http://www.tvobscuri...ages/walter.php

Apparently CBS aired it as a special at some point... although I'd love to get this, AfterMASH and hopefully some of the MASH specials in another set after Season 11 comes out...

#8 of 9 Charlie Kaus

Charlie Kaus

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted February 10 2006 - 05:43 AM

Thanks for the info. I'ts great to actually see clips from the show.

charlie

#9 of 9 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 15,991 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted February 10 2006 - 12:28 PM

bill bixby directed, Walter

facebook.com/whotony