-

Photo
- - - - -

Help me identify a movie...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,607 posts

Posted February 08 2006 - 07:30 AM

A local guy phoned me recently, asking about a movie, though he didn't know the title, nor the actors/filmmakers involved, just the basic plot (and that it was probably made in the 1970s-1980s):

Quote:
A horse-trainer leaves his ranch to enlist in WWII, and is captured while fighting in Asia (the guy who saw this thinks the capture takes place in Mongolia). While prisoner, the trainer finds a mare, trains it, and uses it to escape.

The individual looking for this film said he had already been through IMDB's search engine functions, with no luck. I tried my hand with IMDB's complex search a few minutes ago, with various combinations of plot words, to no avail.

Of all the films I've seen over the years, the closest matches I could think of would be either GALLANT BESS (1946) or DESTINATION GOBI (1953), and neither is a perfect fit, and are 20-30 years older than his impression of the film's age (though I'm sure he's talking about a color film). It also could well be that the region the horse-trainer was captured in was somewhere in Asia (or the Pacific) other than Mongolia, and it could also take place during a different war or conflict.

Anybody here have any ideas what the film (or TV series episode) could be?

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)