I was a happy and loyal player of STAR WARS GALAXIES for a little over a year, but I quit when most of my in-game friends left the game.
I tried the 14 day trial of WORLD OF WARCRAFT, but I must be the only person on the planet who does not like the game. The main activies seem to be limited to killing creatures and leveling up.
What I liked about Galaxies was the huge variety of activities available (which I sometimes see referred to as "sandbox-style play"). In addition to killing creatures and leveling up, a character could:
- Pursue a career in the Rebellion or the Empire
- Learn the ways of the Force
- Explore the Galaxy (for its own sake, or a celebrity sighting tour, or to collect Exploration badges)
- Collect rare items
- Experiment with interior design
- Start a town and enter local politics
- Pursue a secondary career as a pilot
- Crafters can cultivate a business
- Entertainers can put together an act and take it on the road
- Any character with specialized skills can sell those skills (as a Ranger, I made millions tracking NPCs and beasts for various clients)
- Clever players can develop and pursue, in meaningful ways, professions that were not even built into the game
To my knowledge, WOW and most other MMORPGs do not support this type of gameplay.
Are there any MMORPGs out there that come close to satisfying what I am looking for? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Many thanks.