What's new

Sony announces Blu Ray pricing (1 Viewer)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Should be enough room for retailers to sell them near cost, or at a loss to get people in and buy players. Similar to DVD's early days. My first DVD was US Marshals in 1998 and I paid a whopping $6 at CompUSA. It snowballed from there with online stores selling new releases for $12-13 for the first week. Doubt we'll hit those marks anytime soon but I could see new releases breaking the $20 barrier for the first week by the holidays.

Of course, the only titles I'll be picking up are the ones that tell ICT to go to hell. :)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I like how the Sony president of home entertainment says "this is going to be a hot product". I think he might be in for a rude awakening.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I don't know, who would have guess that UMD's would have sold at the rate they are, and at the extremely high price? I sure didn't, and I still can't believe people actually buy them, but apparently there is a customer base out there.

While people keep saying that HDTV's are only in ~10% of homes, that's still 10-15 million potential customers out there. That's nothing to sneeze at and it is only growing. Now if only they don't screw up with the ICT stuff, or we make sure that those titles with it enabled sell poorly.

FrancisP

Screenwriter

UMD's success is more akin to the ipods and other portable media devices. The video ipods seem to be doing as well
and the available downloads seem to be doing well. Portable media is hot. The success of UMD might not be good news
for HD. I would think that people who buy portable media
do it because they don't spend much time at home. If you don't spend much time at home then you're not likely to buy
HD dvd players or discs.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Call me "old fashioned" but I will only buy individual titles of HD. I will not be interested in the UMD or DVD version, nor "bundle packages" of other movies for which I have no interest.

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
You don't have a dvd player in your car or laptop? No kids eh? I don't either, but definately will once the little bugger is old enough. I will be glad to have the rights to a dvd resolution copy of my HD films when that day arrives. (especially a dvd version mastered from a pristine 1080p source with HD colors and no filtering or wasted space on extras :P)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Wow that would be great!

I have an 8 year old and a 1 year old that love DVDs. From Toy Story to Smallville (believe it or not the 1 year old LOVES that theme music!)

being able to have the ability to make a copy for them to watch in their play room on their own player without worrying about fingerprints, drool, scratches or any other damage.

Wish I could do that with DVDs!

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

Honestly, I understand you're trying to sell the idea of the death of HD any way you can, but there's no correlation. HD's potential success is equivalent to that of DVD, which hasn't suffered at all from UMD.

Plus, you disregard the market consuming UMD. UMD is predominately children with PSP's, not adults, and the sales are generally so that parents don't have to listen to the age old "Are we there yet?"

Portable media is one part fad, one part electronic babysitter. The public at large isn't buying it.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Ryan,

Are you kidding? Portable media is the hottest thing in electronics right now and the public at large most certainly IS buying it. Ipods, mp3 players, PSP, UMD, portable DVD players, etc. are all much bigger sellers than HD-DVD/Blu-Ray can even dream about being at this point. Personally, I don't see the HD formats being anywhere near as successful as current DVD until either the format war is won by one camp or a universal player is brought to the market(and I don't think that will happen for at least a couple of years).

Greg_M

Screenwriter
I for one will be waiting until the format war is over and one format has been established as the universal format/player.

I never got into the Beta/VHS war, and stayed clear of RCA's video disk (I went the Laserdisc route until DVD arrived)

FOr now there is too much uncertainty.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member

I tend to agree. I was an early adopter of Beta. :frowning: And bought a LD player, which I still own for those titles not yet on DVD. (I still own a Beta player for some films taped off the air that are not out in any format yet) I'm going to sit back & watch my 1300+ library of DVDs & see who wins the HD war.

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
but you can make back up copies of dvd i riped all my anime to my comp the olny thing is you will need alot more hd space for the ned hd format i have 2 tera bites of storage and it is 2/3 full with anime

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
How much did that cost you and about how many DVDs worth of material would you say that contained? How much more physical space does that much storage take up? Do you need more power for that much? I've been thinking of doing this in case something were to happen and I had to go in a flash, I could just take my computer with me.

About UMD, I don't get it either but more than just the little kids are getting PSP. What I don't understand is why they don't just get those portable DVD players, you get a wider library than UMD with better stuff and you can watch it on your TV had home if you so choose.

Nick

Second Unit
I think I'll hold out for the Player/recorder before making any purchases on either format. Why buy a player when the recorder is just around the corner.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I saw this on IGN:

40 bucks?!? Are they out of their f'ing minds? That's what laserdiscs (well, low end LDs) used to cost!

Sorry, but after tasting the sweet life of 10-15 bucks for a new release movie, I'm not going back to that price tier ever again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks