What's new

Warner 2nd Chat for Animation & TV Product scheduled for June 6th. See Post#42! (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
This is the place to ask questions concerning the theatrically releases classic Looney Tunes, MGM titles owned by Warner and various short subjects not addressed in the first WB Chat scheduled, Please refrain from discussing TV animation in this thread please,

WB please take the time to remaster all of the M-G-M shorts, and put out a gold collection as you have with the looney tunes, i am uncertain completely how the ultra resolution system works, and understand that not all of the original negatives exist anymore. but the original unedited cartoons are available. the total of M-G-M shorts come to 315 , so if released in the same format at the LT GC, then that would amount to 5 or 6 collections. If possible, with some of the same wonderful extras. release them cronoligicy, so that the cinemascope ones can all be anamorphicly enhanced.

This is not the stepchild in animation that you own, this is a treasure trove, Tom & Jerry, Barney Bear, Screwy Squirrel, a wealth of Tex Avery, and the occasional one-shot, like the house of tomorrow.

I love the animation, be it the classic WB or M-G-M, and understand that the T&J spotlight collection on the first set had some problems, but this is the only way any of the other treasures will ever be seen on disc.

please give this some consideration,
and hope others feel this way as well

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
It could be simpler than that.

* A complete MGM HANNA-BARBERA (1940-1958) Tom & Jerry Collection.

UNCUT, UNCENSORED, UNEDITED.

ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIOS & SOUNDTRACKS.

(5-disc set)

* A Complete MGM (1942-1955) Tex Avery Collection

- Include the six Michael Law directed Droopy shorts & 1 Dick Lundy cartoon as bonus.

(4-disc set)

* A Complete (1934-1938) MGM Happy Harmonies & (1939-1954) Barney Bear Collection.

A total of 62 cartoons.

(4-disc set)

--> NO DVNR on ANY Films!!

That will be the END of complaints / requests towards the WHV animation department forever.

Warner Home Video will officially be the greatest DVD production studio in the entire world and this will carry through to all categories. The end.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Marco, brother i knew you would respond to this one, i agree the way you have it set up would work out great.
only change is i would add a couple of separate sets to the Tom and Jerry,The HB collection, followed By the Dietch/Jones ones.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Well I'm not a fan of those cartoons, but I would have no complaints whatsoever if they were added.

The more content, the better!

As long as ALL the original pre-58's were to be included in their original format (running time, audio, a.r.).

These films are just as significant as any of the classics WHV holds in their vaults. If the studio would only put in a fraction of the effort devoted to the likes of their 'Film Noir' Collections, etc. these would be among the best DVD offerings Warner Bros. ever produced and I'm positive would sell in high numbers. :emoji_thumbsup:

I also promise to remove my signature and never make mention of WHV animation on these forums again. You can hold me to a legally binding contract.

I'll devote my energy and frustrations over to Paramount and Sony who probably don't even realize that they own all the TERRYTOONS & COLUMBIA SCREEN GEMS. :angry:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Something of a different nature, is short subjects, while some of these are used a extras, the Academy Award short subjects, 1 Reel and 2 Reel are over looked, the only short subjects that are given any thought is Stooges, and Columbia/Sony has never gotten that right i would like to see some of these included into some kind of collection as well, Live action, or News Reels

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Since, the second chat hasn't even been scheduled yet, I think this thread is a bit premature.

Crawdaddy

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

yes i know, but that way no more of the animation and short subjects should be brought up in the other thread, i know that this is a big topic for some, and was just trying to give them some place for the questions that will come about.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I really think WB should issue LTGC-style 4-disc sets of the MGM cartoons. Combined, it would take 5-6 4-disc sets of around 60 cartoons each.

This way, we can get a variety of T&J's, Tex Avery's, Happy Harmonies, and the rest. Include more commentaries, music/effects tracks, etc. All Ultra-Resolution transfers (like the color LT's) for Tech cartoons.

One format could be... One disc of T&J, another of Tex, one with a theme combining all the series, and another with another theme.

John Pannozzi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Francis Pannozzi
Please, please, please make sure the Animaniacs and Pinky & The Brain DVDs are uncut.

Some possible extras on the Animaniacs DVDs from http://forums.toonzone.net/showpost....2&postcount=10 :

Also, I want Warner to release Tiny Toon Adventures (ALL EPISODES IN PRISTINE QULAITY AND FULLY UNCUT and with "The Return of Batduck" in its uncut form as it aired on the Plucky Duck Show and NOT the edited version that airs in Tiny Toon reruns), Freakazoid, Road Rovers, Histeria!, Taz-Mania, the Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries, Dexter's Lab, the PowerPuff Girls, Cow & Chicken, the Duck Dodgers series on deluxe, extras-loaded DVD-BOX Sets. Also release Ralph Bakshi's "Hey Good Lookin'" on DVD. Also release an OAR DVD of the PowerPuff Girls Movie. And work things out with Sony so we can have "The Man Named Flintstone" on DVD in the states. Also get Sony to get "Hey There, It's Yogi Bear" (which I assume is also owned by Sony like the Flinstone movie) on DVD. And finally, I'd like John Kricfalusi's Yogi Bear cartoons ("A Day in the life of Ranger Smith", "Boo Boo Runs Wild", "Boo Boo and the Man", and as extras, an animatic of a Ranger Smith cartoon that was never finished) and Jetsons cartoons ("Father and Son Day" and "The Best Son") on DVD.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

It would be harder to market and I don't like that idea too much.

These films were produced independantly of each other and during different decades under differing direction and vastly different styles and deserve to be presented as such.

I'd much rather have individual sets as I'd suggested above. 3 boxes is not a lot and I'm almost certain that at the very least, Tex Avery can eventually be an expected release.

So a seperate Tom & Jerry and Happy Harmonies set is not too much to ask.

And if you wanted to mix and match your playlist, you could easily create something like that on your own.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Count me in for any sets that are properly done. I love the MGM cartoons far more than the Looney Tunes or any other animated shorts, yet these seem to be getting the treatment of being lesser films.

I will buy any and all sets that are properly done, but until then I will stay with my LDs.

Step up to the plate WB

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
The Hanna/Barbera Tom and Jerry shorts certainly deserve their own box set. Having these fully restored and properly presented on DVD would be a great thing. I haven't bought any of the DVD sets yet because of the shoddy treatment they have been given. I do own all of the Wrner Bros. Gold Collections though, because they demonstrate that Warners can do animation right. If Tom and Jerry were to get the same treatment, I'd be all over that.

I'd also be very interested in a complete Tex Avery DVD set, provided the cartoons are handled properly.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Another question concerning both the Looney Tunes, and a remote possibility of having the MGM's released restored and unedited is would they be using Woopie Goldberg again as sort of a disclaimer????

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

Man i haven't laughed that hard in a long time. but while the subject at complete restorations of these is part of the topic. i wonder if the original titles are available, was checking over atwww.cartoonresearch.com/titles.html

And bouncing that between some of my Looney Tunes sets, just trying to see if they had replace the blue ribbon with the original art, but then got to looking at the screen shots for the original T&J and wondered if we would ever see those that way. Condoleeza Rice.... still funny, really some of the older ones were.... well not the most politically correct in this day and age, for extras this is just screaming for a documentary on the changes from "Mammy Two Shoes" and interviews with June Foray, and how the landscape of film has changed,

Thinking about this a little more some possible ideas for extras on the LT sets could be a doc on Leon Schlesinger, and for an MGM set one on Fred Quimbly

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
great time at the chat last night, now we also have an answer that the second chat will cover animation and tv, for those who did not attend one caveat, warner stated that they do not own the RKO shorts,also mentioned was the Columbia Superman Serials, that WB owns , it was stated that it would not be included in the 14 Disc Box set but handled by the TV department, apparently it sounds as if it will be included in the Adventures of Superman Season sets, Question for any one here, do the know if WB owns the Filmation Batman's from the 70's

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
Warners has already said that in June we'll get one box with the third and fourth seasons of THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN; that's 26 episodes, so I doubt we'll get a 15-chapter serial tacked on as well. I expect that we'll see the serials issued separately, or perhaps a SUPERMAN SERIAL COLLECTION that includes both SUPERMAN (1948) and ATOM MAN VS. SUPERMAN (1950). 30 serial chapters would be about the same length as the 26 TV episodes currently in the box sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks