What's new

Difference Between "Phono" and "Aux" input? (1 Viewer)

Firat Cingi

Auditioning
Hi, what are the differences of Phono and Aux inputs? I have two AV Receiver options to choose and one of the differences of these receivers is these inputs. I'm planing to use a turntable on this so which one must be preferred?

Regards,

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Do you have any specific turntable in mind? Own it already?

Turntables need a special preamp in order to work. The PHONO input has this built in. You can only plug a record player into a PHONO input. Some record players have this preamp built in, therefore you can plug them into an AUX, and plugging them into PHONO will not work. AUX is a line level input which you can plug any audio gear into. If you don't have a PHONO input on your receiver you can get an outboard "phono preamp" to plug between the record player and the receiver.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
PHONO inputs also generally have the RIAA-Re-EQ curve built into them to compensate for a pre-eq done before the disc is cut.

Leo

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

It helps to call these things by their correct name. Of course, I had this conversation with the owner of a high end audio shop in an unnamed major Texas city recently and he was ignorant of the distinction.

TURNTABLE: Has a motor, platter, tone arm and stylus.
RECORD PLAYER: Has all of the above plus a phono pre-amp, a power amp and a speaker, or speakers.

So, you can only plug a turntable into a phono imput.

Firat Cingi

Auditioning
Thank you for your help.

I'm still searching (and this search will continue at least 3 months because of financial problems :) ), but I have Pro-ject 1 Xpression on my mind. I bought Denon AVR2106 yesterday and it has phono input. Hope this player works with it.

Regards,

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Phillip,
I know you meant "semantic".

Why object to two different things having two different names?
A motorcycle and a moped are quite similar in function, but I'll bet you know the advantages of one over the other and would not intermingle the nomenclature.
I could try for other analogies that a bright young lad like yourself could relate to, but I’m sure you get my point.
A turntable and a record player are not interchangeable, why would you think their labels would be?

Users who are viewing this thread