Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

IPTV is on it's way

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,054 posts

Posted February 07 2006 - 02:33 AM

On the heels of the "Could the iPod kill TV on DVD" thread in which we discussed the idea that in the near future, TV shows and other programing media would be downloaded to the home, here comes IPTV. Internet Protocol Televison.

I've only read a portion of an article in the San Francisco Chronicle, but it looks like Microsoft and AT&T are working to provide content via the internet to your TV and within this year if all goes well. The article can be found here.

I knew they were doing some kind of set top box at Microsoft, they're right down the street from my office. Here's the next step, from cable and satalite to now using the phone line to bring content to your home. The option of programing includes new programing to older materials not seen in years. I remember Gene Roddenberry once suggested this would come in an interview from the early 1970's.