Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Criterion May titles

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Andrew_K

Andrew_K

Stunt Coordinator

• 112 posts

Posted February 06 2006 - 02:17 PM

Viridiana (Luis Bunuel, 1961)
Late Spring (Yasujiro Ozu, 1949)
A nos amours (Maurice Pialat, 1983)
Harlan County USA (Barbara Kopple, 1976)
Grey Gardens 2-disc (Albert Maysles, 1975)

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted February 06 2006 - 04:20 PM

[flame suit on]I've only heard of the first 2.[/flame suit]

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   David Jay

David Jay

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted February 06 2006 - 04:43 PM

No need for the suit, Zachary Posted Image

I'd recommend Harlan County. It's a very good documentary on a coal miners' strike in the early 70's, in Kentucky. The highlight of the film is the great soundtrack, which is made up of songs that the miners wrote while they were on strike, like protest songs. Certainly not masterpieces of Lennon/McCartney quality or anything, but they add a lot of power to the film itself.

I'm glad to see Viridiana with the Pinal interview, which I hope leads to Criterion releasing some of her other Bunuel films (Exterminating Angel, please!) Likewise about the Wim Wenders doc on the Late Spring DVD.

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Brian PB

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

• 671 posts

Posted February 06 2006 - 08:07 PM

I don't believe any of those five films has been 'officially' announced by Criterion for May just yet (unless there's a press release out there I haven't seen).

Late Spring is a near-certainty, since the disc details and artwork are posted on Criterion's site (though it does not yet appear in the "Coming Soon" section---in fact, none of the five listed films do). Viridiana, Harlan County, U.S.A., and the new two-disc update of Grey Gardens all appear on Image's website with May release dates (Image is the official distributor for The Criterion Collection).

The wild card is Pialat's À nos amours, which briefly appeared on Criterion's website designated as Spine #0 (it has now been taken down), but with no further details.

AFAIK, the list above is still speculative (though an official announcement is expected at any time).

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted February 06 2006 - 11:20 PM

It may not be in the "coming soon" section... but at least Viridiana has begun pre-ordering. I've already ordered it. Posted Image

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Bradley Newton

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted February 07 2006 - 01:21 AM

I would love to have a two-disc Grey Gardens. I would definitely double-dip for that.

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted February 07 2006 - 03:22 AM

Posted Image ....wake me in June..

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Claude North

Claude North

Second Unit

• 325 posts

Posted February 07 2006 - 04:35 AM

Anyone else find Grey Gardens distasteful, exploitative, and impossible to watch? I felt that the filmmakers were having a big laugh at the expense of two women who were clearly not in their right minds. Perhaps if I tried watching it a second time, I might respond differently.

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted February 07 2006 - 05:24 AM

Claude, it's received that criticism before, though personally it doesn't strike me as exploitative. The subjects of the film certainly don't see themselves as being exploited, though of course that's no assurance that they aren't. The camera does shy away in moments best left private, and I get the sincere feeling that the filmmakers love these women. There's an element of pity, as well, but not condescenscion. I admit, however, that it's not an easy call whenever private lives are exposed, willingly or not, and I respect your sensitivity to the question given that it seems more and more a concern very few acknowledge anymore. I say give it another shot, though you may not change your mind.

On a much brighter note... VIRIDIANA!!!! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image (that's right, five thumbs way up)
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Brian PB

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

• 671 posts

Posted February 07 2006 - 05:56 AM

Anyone else find Grey Gardens distasteful, exploitative, and impossible to watch? I felt that the filmmakers were having a big laugh at the expense of two women who were clearly not in their right minds. Perhaps if I tried watching it a second time, I might respond differently.

I think the Maysles brothers were walking a very fine line between pure documentary and exploitation in this film. I also think Little Edie (the daughter) had a diagnosable psychiatric condition.

That said, I think the miracle of Grey Gardens is that it humanizes these eccentric women who had been caricatured and exploited by the contemporary press. By letting the Beales tell their own stories, the viewer can begin to fathom the strange, fascinating symbiotic relationship that resulted. The Beales were active, willing (and proud) participants--Little Edie even enjoyed a little notoriety because of the film.

I recognize that "most" people would never let themselves be photographed in such unflattering circumstances, but Big and Little Edie made few objections. While they clearly enjoyed the attention, I believe they were very relaxed around the Maysles et al because the filmmakers were both non-judgemental and empathetic. Al Maysles kept in touch with Little Edie periodically up until her death.

Ultimately, I find this film to be funny, touching, and wise--certainly one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted February 07 2006 - 07:47 AM

M. Hulot needs to visit Criterion to remind him who he is. Posted Image
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted February 07 2006 - 09:16 AM

Claude North, wrote:
Quote:
Anyone else find Grey Gardens distasteful, exploitative, and impossible to watch?

Possibly, but not I. Which aspects of the film did you find distasteful, Claude? Edith speaks plainly about her life, while Little Edie exaggerates or conflabulates her memories, but punctuates them with wonderful aphorisms: If you can't get a man to propose to you, you might as well be dead. So who's doing the exploiting? It certainly isn't Albert and David Maysles. The women are both grade-A genuine American eccentrics and that is an ultra-rare species. But they maintain their dignity in a strange way, as all great eccentrics do.

Give it another go, Claude. I personally feel that it is one of the most fascinating documentary-portraits ever made.

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted February 07 2006 - 10:41 AM

Grey Gardens could certainly feel very uncomfortable at times. I was pretty uncomfortable for almost the entire running length. The characters were so sad and pathetic that I almost wanted to scream... but I finished the movie, because the perspective on them was gentle, understanding, and totally free of judgment. I sympathized with these girls.

The way the film was made was 100% free of exploitation - so long as you believe that the documentary form itself is not exploitation. Is Winged Migration exploiting those birds so that the filmmakers might have an interesting subject to photograph?

If you want another sign, remember the interactions between the quieter Maysles brother (Albert, the cameraman?) and Little Edie. He handed the situation with great delicacy and care. I was very impressed with him - not so with Michael Moore. If you are looking for an example of expoitive documentary filmmaking...

I liked Grey Gardens very much, although I did like Salesman better.

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted February 07 2006 - 10:57 AM

Grey Gardens could certainly feel very uncomfortable at times. I was pretty uncomfortable for almost the entire running length.
Me too. And though I didn't feel it was exploitative and would find it hard to argue against the flattering comments about the film and filmmakers...I just couldn't stand it. I see all the value described here, but as something to watch I could barely make it through. The 2 ladies are indeed an interesting pair, but they were driving me batty. I can't imagine a whole extra disc devoted to the two of them. Might be interesting if the focus is directed more towards the Maysles.

Looking forward to seeing Harlan County USA though. It's been on my list for awhile.

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted February 07 2006 - 01:04 PM

Rich_d at Criterion's Headquarters in Manhattan:

Knock Knock!

Who's There?

Monsieur Hulot.

Monsieur Hulot who?

Ah, George Kaplan was right.

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted February 08 2006 - 02:49 AM

I thought the scuttlebut was that Criterion is working on a Tati boxset (presumably to include the original three releases with an upgraded "Playtime", plus perhaps "Jour de fete"?).
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted February 08 2006 - 04:14 AM

Yes, that's the rumor. And every month that passes without it showing up just gets me antsy.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...