Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

From Pixar in 2007: Ratatouille

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
138 replies to this topic

#121 of 139 Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted July 04 2007 - 09:11 PM

Quote:
Did anyone notice that thing in the end credits about how "no motion capture" was used in the making of this film?
Yes. Caused some light applause from the few people left watching the credits during my preview showing. I wonder if that's pointed at any specific competition, or just a general thing.

#122 of 139 Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted July 05 2007 - 05:01 AM

Quote:
I wonder if that's pointed at any specific competition, or just a general thing.
I don't know, but the scene where Remy is going down through the sewer had an incredible simulation of the water. More impressive than anything I've seen from them so far.

My 6 year old enjoyed it, but was restless during the middle section of the film. He had several belly laughs though and certainly was able to follow the plot.

I thought I heard that initial numbers for opening weekend were along the lines of $33 million which was framed as "somewhat disappointing". I don't usually care that much about the box office numbers, but I'd hate to have any of those whiners at Disney get any satisfaction...Assuming of course that the "insider" quotes are accurate about the complaints.

#123 of 139 Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted July 05 2007 - 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRS
Chuck,

There's no other animation studio I would want Brad Bird to collaborate with right now (And with Pixar controlling all of Disney, I'm sure Bird will get back to hand drawn animation pretty soon. Posted Image ).

I'm just pointing out that as much as I admire Pixar (Toy Story 2 and Finding Nemo being my favorites of their non-Brad Bird features), Brad Bird is a very unique talent. I have a very personal connection with his work - the same way I would have with any great live action filmmaker I admire.
I agree, this film had Bird moments and style running throughout, from character reactions and behaviors that you saw in Iron Giant to how the romantic interest here looked just like mom Incredible.

Bird is amazing, he really has a unique talent for the subtleties that take a scene from rote to brilliant.

This is simply some of the best animation I've ever seen, and I don't mean the redering/tech side of it, though that too is a good as it gets. I mean the characters' movements and look. Just as strong as you saw in the 2D of Iron Giant. To me that's all Bird.

And the pairing of the 2 - like chocolate and peanut butter.

Personally I found Cars to be "blah" by Pixar standards, so this is a huge leap back to the level of Incredibles. I think I still might have both Toy Story films ahead of it as well as the Incredibles, but it's in that ballpark. Pixar's average level of quality is honestly just insane right now.

This has to be what it was like seeing Walt first getting going himself, it's that same kinda of era I think.

#124 of 139 Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted July 05 2007 - 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Turnbull

I thought I heard that initial numbers for opening weekend were along the lines of $33 million which was framed as "somewhat disappointing". I don't usually care that much about the box office numbers, but I'd hate to have any of those whiners at Disney get any satisfaction...Assuming of course that the "insider" quotes are accurate about the complaints.

The Wall St Journal reported $47M for the opening weekend; maybe disappointing by Pixar standards (where I guess a home run for its opening weekend would be $50-60M), but pretty strong otherwise.

I think word of mouth on this should really give it some serious box-office legs. It's definitely in Toy Story/Incredibles territory as to quality of story and overall animation.
My DVD Collection
My CD Collection

#125 of 139 DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted July 05 2007 - 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Hirsch
I think word of mouth on this should really give it some serious box-office legs. It's definitely in Toy Story/Incredibles territory as to quality of story and overall animation.

It's already starting to show. Its weekdays so far have been pretty incredible along with Transformers.

#126 of 139 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,198 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 05 2007 - 01:11 PM

I got to Ratatouille last night and found it thoroughly enjoyable. Score-wise I'd give it a B or B+, comparing to other Pixar movies. It was a solid story, great animation, and fantastic last third. But it lacked the through-and-through magic of Nemo or Toy Story 2, for me.

Technically, it felt that lighting was the goal for this film. There were many scenes using softer lighting, mist, fog, or such that had the "new" feeling to it. Similar to how Monsters was about hair, Nemo about water, and Incredibles about people.

The best scenes to me were the en masse rat events: The colony escaping the old lady's house and then the rats running the kitchen -- particular, as noted, the steam cleaning of the rats. Great fun!

The weaknesses, seemed a slightly unfocused telling of the story. The head-thumping explanations in particular: why Remy walks on two legs; the Fantasia-like display of taste; repeatedly reminding us that Gusteau is just Remy's imagination; "that was strangely involuntary" wink to the audience when Remy begins to control Linguine. Also, the romance came from nowhere. Two days in the kitchen, and Linguine loves the female chef? It felt awkward.

Regardless, it was a good movie. And I look forward to a second viewing on DVD.

#127 of 139 Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,096 posts

Posted July 05 2007 - 02:18 PM

Quote:
the Fantasia-like display of taste

I loved that part.

#128 of 139 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,561 posts

Posted July 05 2007 - 04:20 PM

I consider the tasting scenes a strength, not a weakness. It was a simple, direct way to visually represent a sense of taste. They were really well done. For me, the film is right up there along side The Incredibles.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#129 of 139 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,198 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 05 2007 - 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_S
I loved that part.
I was ambivalent. I liked the style; it was a neat idea. And yet it felt somewhat discordant with the rest of the movie.

I definitely left the movie hungry Posted Image

#130 of 139 DougWright

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted July 06 2007 - 01:58 PM

I love the movie overall

the scene mentioned earlier
where Ego has his flashback, moved me unlike any other movie has in a long while. It may have something to do with the recent passing of my own mother

These guys know how to tell a story and don't rely on the fact they present it better than anyone else in the business. They do both unlike any other.
Doug "Thread Killer" Wright

#131 of 139 Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted July 07 2007 - 11:39 AM

10/10

Brad Bird is amazing. Both his features for Pixar (The Incredibles and Ratatouille) are at the top of my list for favorite Pixar movies, and that's saying a lot since they haven't made a film I do not enjoy.

What I wasn't expecting from this film was an emotional payoff, and boy do we get it in the last reel. The scene where the critic tries the ratatouille dish and is transported back to his childhood is inspired. And to finally see Remy get his gig as a chef, just after we think his dream was sunk by the authorities, well it almost brought a tear to my eye.

In a summer where the major blockbusters have disappointed me in one way or another, Ratatouille never let me down. Ironic that a 100 percent animated film can have more heart and more craft than other films that are a mix of live action and animation.

Brad Bird is simply one of the most talented directors alive right now, and Pixar one of the best studios in the business. What a remarkable achievement for an animation studio.

#132 of 139 Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted July 07 2007 - 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Mayer
I have heard that Bird will be directing a live action film about the 1906 earthquake. Whatever he does, I'll be there.

I told my wife on the way home that I would love to see him direct a live action feature. This is good news.

He's one of the best directors working right now.

#133 of 139 DaveB

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted July 07 2007 - 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF
I got to Ratatouille last night and found it thoroughly enjoyable. Score-wise I'd give it a B or B+, comparing to other Pixar movies. It was a solid story, great animation, and fantastic last third. But it lacked the through-and-through magic of Nemo or Toy Story 2, for me.

Technically, it felt that lighting was the goal for this film. There were many scenes using softer lighting, mist, fog, or such that had the "new" feeling to it. Similar to how Monsters was about hair, Nemo about water, and Incredibles about people.

The best scenes to me were the en masse rat events: The colony escaping the old lady's house and then the rats running the kitchen -- particular, as noted, the steam cleaning of the rats. Great fun!

The weaknesses, seemed a slightly unfocused telling of the story. The head-thumping explanations in particular: why Remy walks on two legs; the Fantasia-like display of taste; repeatedly reminding us that Gusteau is just Remy's imagination; "that was strangely involuntary" wink to the audience when Remy begins to control Linguine. Also, the romance came from nowhere. Two days in the kitchen, and Linguine loves the female chef? It felt awkward.

Regardless, it was a good movie. And I look forward to a second viewing on DVD.

I'll wager that "B" score gets pushed up to "A" territory upon your second viewing. Posted Image

#134 of 139 JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,913 posts

Posted July 07 2007 - 04:04 PM

just came back from. definitely the best summer movie of 2007. i hadn't seen much of the spring movies, but i've seen most of the major 2007 releases and this one ranks waaay up there =P. imho, they did it again with ratatouille! brad bird is just one masterful guy. iron giant, incredibles, whatever he worked on as writer, now this. this rocks!

#135 of 139 Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted July 07 2007 - 08:22 PM

Best movie I have seen this year. I absolutely loved it!
NO SHIRT

NO SHOES

NO SHELDON

#136 of 139 Fred Bang

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted July 08 2007 - 03:06 AM

I also saw the movie yesterday. It is my third best Pixar movie after The Incredibles and Toy Story II. I give 4/5 for now, but get the feeling this could go up.

One thing certain, it is the best movie of the year so far. The images were spectacular, well-written and really entertaining.

4/5

#137 of 139 JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,913 posts

Posted July 09 2007 - 11:52 AM

imho, it's the best pixar effort yet. toy story, ts2, incredibles, bugs life, finding nemo, cars were all fairly tamed and OK efforts. but ratatouille is just whole another level =).

#138 of 139 Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton

Screenwriter

• 1,434 posts

Posted July 09 2007 - 01:55 PM

1. When I saw it, people were in a hurry to rush out at the end. Big mistake; that way, they missed out on all the stylized art like

Rats skating on "ice"; rats near "flames"; rats lounging around in Western / Mexican style; a rat displacing a "bridegroom" on a wedding cake and kissing the "bride"

2. Did anyone else notice that the human victim in "Lifted"

looks an awful lot like Linguini?

#139 of 139 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,750 posts

Posted July 14 2007 - 05:25 AM

Finally saw this last night. Great film - one of the most original animated movies in a long time, and much more subtle than Cars or the Incredibles.

Pixar has been on a roll for quite a while. I feel like we are in Pixar's golden age, and it must be similar to what audiences experienced from Walt Disney's films in the late 30s and early 40s.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow