What's new

From Pixar in 2007: Ratatouille (1 Viewer)

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I'm with you, Zachary. Every single Pixar movie I've seen has hit it out of the ballpark. I hope the Pixar crew doesn't get too much heat from the "Story by committee" crappola that some Disney flicks have suffered from...

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
While it doesn't bother me, I do hope we get a pronunciation guide for the title. or just call it Rata, Ratat, or Ratille. A title that's a little less frightening for the average Joe-Six-pack out there is probably needed.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

I don't know. If they can say "Madagascar" then there shouldn't be too much trouble with this title. Pixar is entertaining... AND educational!

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Toys, Bugs, Monsters, Fish, Superheroes, Cars and now Rats. I wonder what the next film after this will be about. I always sort of hoped they go semi-horror with Skeletons or Ghosts. Bring in Tim Burton.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Actually a Pixar film about skeletons or ghosts sounds like it'd be kinda cool. Even if they let Burton direct it, still sounds cool.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Amen to that. The Incredibles towers above their other films, IMO. I'm hoping for more output in that vein.

As for an Incredibles sequel, my girlfriend tells me that Sarah Vowell in an interview said that there was nothing cooking for the moment.:frowning:

I'm interested in seeing what Jim Reardon (another Simpsons alum along with Brad Bird) has planned with Pixar. He's got something cooking for 2008, I believe.

--Jefferson Morris

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
There's no way kids will be able to pronounce this title, hell, i'm a grown man and i'm having difficulty keeping it straight, I bet they'll change it at some point.

Didn't they change the title for the first Harry Potter movie because kids would have a hard time pronouncing it? I thought I heard something along those lines before it was released, or maybe it was the book?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Everywhere in the world except the United States, the first book/movie was called "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone".

They changed it for the U.S. since someone, I assume the U.S. publisher and their market research team, deemed American children too stupid to understand the word "philosopher" ...but perhaps pronounciation was a factor as well.

So, yes, I'm sure they'll eventually change the title to something easier for today's youth, like "Ratz" or "Phat Pimpin' Rodentz"

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
philosopher sounds like work, sorcerer sounds like fun. It was changed because they didn't want to alienate any of the eleven year old boy demographic.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

You mean you'd let Burton work on a semi-horror-themed film after The Nightmare Before Christmas and The Corpse Bride? :D

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
well then I guess the marketing department wasn't as powerful in the other countries or they didn't have the super-duper research that said philosopher was a 'bad' word to have in a book title (like the supposed statistic that books with variations on Dead sell an average of 25% less than a book without the word in the title), and so it never occured to them there was any 'reasonable' reason to change it.

But it had nothing to do with the intelligence level of American children. Noone said, "american boys are stupid and can't read so we can't have a big words in a title." Rather they made the intellectual leap that sorcerer would be more appealing (oh it's about magic and fun things, I'll read that!) than philosopher (wassat? old dusty books? I like action, buggeroff, hey a wrestling book!«child wanders away»)

I do not like that it was changed, but I understand why it was changed, much more sensible are a handful of brittishisms that were changed, although I'd prefer the original there as well, I for one was never able to make the prodigious mental leap that torch=flashlight until it was explained to me. :D

Back on topic, the pixar title is just unpronounceable, damn french vowels, noone in america will ever get those right, if it were german, spanish, or even latin they'd have a better chance. Hell you get pretty decent luck with Japanese words most of the time, but on this one I can't even get a consistent spelling in my brain, much less a consistent pronunciation.

as a handful of examples (believe me there are many more) I've thought it was (having seen this thread title many times) :
Rat-ill
Rat-too-lay
Rat-ah-Lee
Rat-ah-too-eh-lee-Ay
Rat-ah-twee
Rat-ah-too-EL-ee
Rat-ah-too-ee
Rat-ill-ee
Rat-too-ee
Rah-tat (+above variations whereever Rat was used)

I just loath that ouille combination, for some reason i can't visually parse the word in my mind because of it. heh, separate that thing out and it makes me think the damn film is titled Rat-oil, with the oil drawn out aristocratically , dahling.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor

A more fair question would be if I'd let Burton work on a horror themed film after Planet of the Apes and the Superman fiascos...

But this is about Pixar. They'll stumble sooner or later, everyone does. But they haven't yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks