Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

From Pixar in 2007: Ratatouille

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
138 replies to this topic

#21 of 139 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,372 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 03 2006 - 05:02 AM

Quote:
They didn't have to change it in any other country.
Yes they did. In Taiwan, it's Harry Potter and the Mystical Black Magic Stone. In Dutch it's Harry Potter and the Stone of Manners. In French it's Harry Potter and the School of Wizards. In German it's Harry Potter and the Wizard's Stone. In Korean it's Harry Potter and the Pebble of the Wizard.
If "Philosopher's Stone" was the title of Book 7, it almost certainly wouldn't have been changed. Book 1 didn't just have to sell itself, it had to sell the series on the American public. Labeling it a byproduct of American ignorance is, itself, an ignorant argument.

#22 of 139 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,674 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted March 03 2006 - 07:36 AM

If "Philosopher's Stone" was the title of Book 7, it almost certainly wouldn't have been changed. Book 1 didn't just have to sell itself, it had to sell the series on the American public. Labeling it a byproduct of American ignorance is, itself, an ignorant argument.

Perhaps, but that's the way I've always heard it represented.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#23 of 139 OFFLINE   Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted March 03 2006 - 06:14 PM

I wonder if they could add in a line from Ferris Bueller's day off... the snooty Maitre 'd grabs a customer and the customer says, "You touch me, I yell 'Rat!' "
The shape I'm in you could donate my body to science fiction! - Rodney Dangerfield, "Back to School"

#24 of 139 OFFLINE   Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted March 04 2006 - 12:36 AM

Quote:
There's no way kids will be able to pronounce this title, hell, i'm a grown man and i'm having difficulty keeping it straight, I bet they'll change it at some point.

Give kids more credit. If they can learn the names and distinctions among hundreds of different dinosaur species, they can certainly figure out one word of French Posted Image

#25 of 139 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,996 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted March 04 2006 - 12:54 AM

I took French, but don't speak it. This is ridiculously easy to pronounce, once you know how to do it.

Kids will be fine. The movie is by Pixar. What else needs to be said?
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#26 of 139 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted March 04 2006 - 06:13 AM

Quote:
Didn't they change the title for the first Harry Potter movie because kids would have a hard time pronouncing it?

I think this is like the 'Licence Revoked' myth. The reason presented in the UK was that 'Sorceror's Stone' and 'Philosopher's Stone' mean the same thing, but 'sorceror's stone' was better known in the USA and 'philosopher's stone' was better known in the UK. However, I'd have thought that precious few people in either rcountry would have known what the item was before the book became popular (I knew it, but only because I have a nerdish interest in the history of science).

Back on topic: I can't help noticing that Ratatouille seems to be exploring a similar theme to the next Aardman movie due out later this year, which is a CGI film about a rat.

Hands up how many of you knew what ratatouille was before reading this thread. In the UK it's well enough known because it's a staple of vegetarian students (cheap and easy to cook - ratatouille, that is, not students ...) - I don't know if it's true across your side of the Herring Pond.

#27 of 139 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted March 04 2006 - 07:03 AM

Quote:
Hands up how many of you knew what ratatouille was before reading this thread. In the UK it's well enough known because it's a staple of vegetarian students (cheap and easy to cook - ratatouille, that is, not students ...) - I don't know if it's true across your side of the Herring Pond.

Probably not overly common here, but I have heard of it. There is a sandwich place which I like to go to which has hundreds of different sandwiches to choose from. Some of them have ratatouille on them (which they call rat sauce for short.)

Jason

#28 of 139 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted March 04 2006 - 07:26 AM

I think the title is a good thing. It's educating kids AND adults with a name they haven't heard before!

#29 of 139 OFFLINE   Sam E. Torres

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit

• 439 posts

Posted March 05 2006 - 02:31 AM

did anyone see the teaser on the wallace and gromit dvd for the first cg aardman film? it's called flushed away and it's about rats...being flushed down the toilet. is this another bugs/antz situation we got on our hands?

#30 of 139 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted March 06 2006 - 07:07 AM

Quote:
did anyone see the teaser on the wallace and gromit dvd for the first cg aardman film? it's called flushed away and it's about rats...being flushed down the toilet. is this another bugs/antz situation we got on our hands?

Um, Sam, quite right, but this is just what I said in my post ... Posted Image

#31 of 139 OFFLINE   Timothy Alexander

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted March 11 2006 - 08:40 AM

Hey guys, during the annual Disney Shareholder's Meeting yesterday, John Lasseter announced that Ratatouille is now being lead by Brad Bird.
So now Bird is either taking over Directing duties or is now just actively helping out Jan Pinkava.
Now I'm really looking foward to the film.
TAlex 700

#32 of 139 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted March 11 2006 - 10:06 AM

Whoa... can he really add much though? Wouldn't the film be pretty much finished, at least story and voice wise with just the animation to be completed for its release next summer?

#33 of 139 OFFLINE   Timothy Alexander

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted March 11 2006 - 10:39 AM

Yeah, he's probably just in charge of post-production animation and editing now.

Also at the meeting Lasseter showed the first trailer of the movie. Hopefully that'll land on the net sometime.
TAlex 700

#34 of 139 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted March 11 2006 - 10:48 AM

Quote:
Also at the meeting Lasseter showed the first trailer of the movie. Hopefully that'll land on the net sometime.

Can't wait to see it! I would assume they'll play it before "Cars" this summer.

#35 of 139 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted March 11 2006 - 02:56 PM

Quote:
Hands up how many of you knew what ratatouille was before reading this thread.

I did. :b Not sure what it is exactly, some sort of sauce I think. I do know how it's pronounced though. I'm sure once kids will hear the name said in the trailers there'll be no problem, and they'll probbaly mention the word several times in said trailers purposefully.

Speaking of the Harry Potter renaming deal, I'm just happy there is Amazon.ca Posted Image Reading the books that take place in England with British spelling, grammar and punctuation makes it much more enjoayble and immersive than a "translated" American version would.

#36 of 139 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted May 25 2006 - 07:08 AM

The teaser is out albeit in a FRENCH version. It does give you the visual look of the film though and I'm happy to see that it does look VISUALLY different than that other rat movie "Flushed Away"... the same way "A Bug's Life" looked visually different than "Antz".

http://media.cinoche....inoche_480.mov

#37 of 139 OFFLINE   George_fsf

George_fsf

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted May 25 2006 - 09:42 AM

Also this teaser trailer will be shown in front of Pixar's Cars this june. Good trailer.
GF

#38 of 139 OFFLINE   BrianShort

BrianShort

Supporting Actor

• 934 posts

Posted June 08 2006 - 06:14 PM

The teaser is out at Apple.com, in HD. Doesn't show a lot but it looks like it should be pretty entertaining.

#39 of 139 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted June 09 2006 - 04:18 AM

Have they changed the name yet?

#40 of 139 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,372 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted June 09 2006 - 07:22 AM