What's new

After market power cord. Is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

Henry Wai

Grip
I'm still new to HT, Just picked up a Rotel 1095 amp, is it worth going out to buy a heavier after market power cord? Reason I ask is the wiring in my home is only 14/3 from the fuse box to the plug, from the plug to the amp is only 5 foot long.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
If you're using your product mainly for home theater, while only you can evaluate what sound best in your room, I'd guess that you won't hear much difference unless there is RFI, EMI or some other problems in your location. 14 gauge wire will pass 15 amps of current.

DougR

Second Unit
Unless you can get one long enough to reach the Power Generating Station ?:D

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
I replaced the cords on my power amps & sub with these. Did I hear a difference? No, but they were worth the couple of bucks to me. The slightly heavier gauge can't hurt and the availability of a shorter cord enabled me to clean up some of the rats nest behind the rack.

-Dave

chris_everett

Second Unit
Turn on your system and run it for awhile, loud. Then grab hold of the power cord. Is it hot? (Make sure you don't have a fan blowing hot air on it, and that it was not sitting on top of something hot) If it's not hot, your power cord is fine.

If it is hot, they probably included a _really_ cheap cord (I would expect better from Rotel), and it should be replaced as it is a fire hazard. You don't need anything exotic, just get something that's at least 14 gauge.

In any event, you won't have a difference in sound quality.

Possible exception: If you have a huge rats nest of power cords, and analog audio running through it, you may get an induced 60hz hum. Replacing the power cords with ones cut to length can help that. Again, nothing exotic.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer

Hmmm..I'd say we're all VERY serious that this type of "tweak" in hopes of getting better sound is major BS.

mark alan

Supporting Actor
Of course replacing the cord is necessary in order to save an expensive pair of pants. You know, before your money burns a hole in them.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Makes a huge improvement in a quality 2 channel system....it did on mine!! Most of the replies to this thread are probably from people with less than high end gear!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks