What's new

DVD Review Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit: Some thoughts.... (1 Viewer)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I did a search and did not find any threads in the DVD forum for this title. I was really surprised at this. I missed my chance to see it in the theater, and finally got my hands on it this weekend.

What a wonderful film! Extremely clever, well-written, and hilariously funny, but not in an unintelligent way. Plenty for adults to enjoy here, but the kids should love it too.

I just had my 57" Toshiba re-calibrated this past Friday, and I have to say, the transfer on this looked fantastic to my eyes. I watched Corpse Bride as well this weekend, and I thought W&G had an even better transfer, and Corpse Bride has received some great reviews for its transfer.

I am not a professional reviewer, but I hope anyone on the fence about this title will give it a shot. The most fun I've had watching a film in a while.

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Andrew. I was really wondering about this title and have heard nothing about it.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
funniest scene was the underwear, grin. Y-fronts at that. it is romantic at that.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Missed it in the theater, and have heard nothing about it other than this thread, yet I still plan to make a blind purchase this afternoon.

Such is the spell that W&G hold over me:D

Brian

Miles

Second Unit
It seems the UK is getting a 2-disc set. Is the Region 1 a 2-disc or a 1-disc?

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I was at Best Buy to pick up something else, and the few W&G 2-disc boxes with the 3 Adventures all had Full Screen in them. Just something to be aware of.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sorry there are no reviews....

...it's a DreamWorks title if that will explain
the situation for you.

Despite every attempt to ask them to do so, none
of the websites get early screeners from the studios.

Only publications do.

Our reviewer just received his copy on street date.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I'm feeling guilty about this as I have had the title for a couple of weeks now (sometimes we get R1 titles ages in advance in the UK) and didn't think to post any sort of review. I'll leave it to the 'official' review which by Ronald's implication is on its way to talk about the details of the picture and sound, but suffice to say it seems acceptable enough. ;)

For anyone contemplating getting the R2 2-disc set, I believe that the extra stuff on the R2 version is mostly directed at kids (which is fine, but it may hold less appeal to a fair number of HTFers). The 'bigger' extras like the missing scenes, a tour of the Aardman studios, etc, are all on the R1 disc.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I also got this at least 2 weeks ago. Can't wait to see it. There is a certain charm in clay animation that is not possible with CG animation.

Vincent-P

Second Unit
Plus, everything that is missing in R1 from the R2 set is on the bonus disc available at Walmart.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Vincent-P,

So that would mean that those bonus features, we already have in R1, since they are on earlier R1 W&G DVDs here.

Vincent-P

Second Unit
I don't understand what you mean.

I was saying that the exclusive Wal Mart bonus disc for Wallace & Gromit Curse of the Were Rabbit contains all the bonus features that are on the R2 release, but were left off the standard R1 release. So there's really no reason for anyone in R1 to spend the time or money to get the R2 release (unless they really want to the few changes that were made to "Americanize" some of the more "British" words), when everything can be had just by picking up the DVD from Walmart before they run out of bonus discs.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I believe what Mark is referring to is that it sounds like the stuff on the Wal Mart bonus disc (the shorts) can also be found on the latest Wallace And Gromit release of the three short movies.

Vincent-P

Second Unit
There are also featurettes about the film besides the Cracking Contraption shorts. These featurettes are on the R2 release of "Were Rabbit" and were not on the "3 Short Films" DVD here.

MatthewHA

Grip
When I first saw "A Close Shave" almost ten years ago in a college biology class, I was instantly hooked on Wallace and Gromit. CURSE OF THE WERE-RABBIT was a natural move to big screen and I loved every minute of it. I watched it again last night--the first time was in the theater--and I liked it even more and noticed things I had not noticed in my first viewing. It is a very entertaining and imaginitive movie.

Now, I noticed something that might be an issue for serious dvd collectors and film enthusiasts:

Are there framing issues with W & G like there were/are with the Back to the Future II & III discs?

The reason I ask this is because at a certain shot on the widescreen W & G DVD leaves off some of the picture at the bottom. Specifically, it is the "spinning newspaper" shot following a night attack by the Were-Rabbit," and the bottom-most headline is "Where's our crop protection?" and the word PROTECTION is almost completely obscured and out of frame. I recall the theatrical version did not cut off the bottom of this shot.

Are there any screen captures available to compare shots from the full-screen vs the widescreen?

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark

Right.

Well, I went ahead and took a trip to WalMart, since I am such a HUGE Wallace and Gromit fan.

There is some stuff on the bonus DVD that we have not gotten previously in region 1. The making of the Were-Rabbit feaurette (about making the actual character, not the film), isn't anywhere else. The other bonus content we have gotten in previous R1 DVDs. The whole "The World of Wallace & Gromit" featurette seems like it is only a re-edit of previous featurettes we already have.

"Gromit's Favorite Scenes" is a waste, really, as it is just snippets of the film...kinda pointless.

"How to Draw Gromit" was cute, but more of a kiddie thing than bonus content for a film fan.

Unless you're a die-hard W&G fan, I am not sure the Walmart bonus DVD is worth the extra $5.00 unless you don't already have the "Cracking Contraptions" shorts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks