What's new

Capra Box Coming From Sony (1 Viewer)

JohnPM

Second Unit
In checking out this week's Cary Grant box set, I came across a trailer for Sony's upcoming Frank Capra box, and while there's no release date as yet, they do include, among the standard previously released titles, one that is new, "American Madness". Sort of like the Grant box with "Holiday". If you want "American Madness", you'll presumably have to buy the box. The good part is, it looks as though Sony will be doing more of these boxes. I've got a feeling we're going to see a Randolph Scott/Budd Boetticher set before long. Anybody got any info on that?

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
That's weird, cause Sony just released 2 Stanwyck/Capra titles in UK, that were never available in USA: Miracle Woman and The Bitter Tea of General Yen. So it would be logical that they would be in this box. Also there was a talk about a restoraton for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, and a new trasfer for You can't take it with you. Let's wait and see.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks for the info John.

Rafael, I recall reading the same thing about MR. SMITH (either here or at the Bits). Supposedly a good nitrate print was discovered. This is perhaps my favorite Stewart film so a sparkling new edition would be most welcome. I passed over YOU CAN'T...after reading the bad reviews here. An improved transfer would cause me to take a look.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Smith has been undergoing a full photochemical restoration and even a partially restored print screened at the Academy two summers ago was of unbelievably high caliber, probably one of the best two or three black and white prints I've ever seen screened.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
This sounds interesting. If anyone can get a hold of the list of films in this set, I'd appreciate it.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
There's a trailer advertising this set on the Bewitched Season Three set. It's on disc #4. Here are the titles in the Capra box:

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
It Happened One Night
You Can't Take It With You
Platinum Blonde
American Madness

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Well, I own the first four titles in that list, but if the transfers are improved, I'll gladly double-dip. Especially for You Can't Take It With You, which is dreadful in its current incarnation.

Richard Matich

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone heard any news on this box? I'm guessing October for a release but I have read noting since March. Hmm. They tempt us in the Cary Grant box set with Capra so I want this sometime this year. :D

Blu

Screenwriter
Lost Horizon would have been great if it were included into this set!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks