What's new

My new HT system (1 Viewer)

Curtis*H

Auditioning
The wife and I treated ourselves to a new HT system a few days ago.
Our new system is the following:

Yamaha HTR 5990 receiver
Yamaha DV-S5750 DVD player
Def Tech BP 7006 - floor
" " CLR 2002 - front center
" " Pro Sub 100TL - sub woofer
" " BP 1.2x - rears
Audioquest cabling - (My God, the price for the cables!!)LOL
All this coupled to the Sony KDF-50WE655 LCD TV (2004 model)

Your thoughts on this system.

Heck, we only were looking and decided to listen in on a demo for the speakers and I always wanted to get a THX system anyway.

Thanx
Curtis

mylan

Screenwriter
Sounds like you went to Magnolia at B.B.! It also sounds like an excellent system. I too thought about the 7006's after having a pair of bookshelve Def Techs as a way to get rid of the sub but many here think it is hard to smooth out the bass response on a powered tower and I was afraid that the sub built in to the center would rattle my cabinent. I'm still on the fence but I think with experimentation on placement and calibration, it should sound awesome.

Curtis*H

Auditioning
You are right Mylan, I did purchase from Magnolia.

I just got everything hooked up a few days ago and all I can say is WOW!!!

I listened for a few minutes to Star Wars III on THX and it sounds phenomenol. Next will be my Frank Zappa DVD's so I can really enjoy them instead of playing them on my computer. Somehow the comp doesn't do Frank any justice.

The calibration mic that I set up for the Yamaha (YPAO) has an excellent analyzer IMHO, I'm a noob. The error menu at the completion of the test is easy to understand and correct. The only thing wrong w/ the first test was the tower sub was a little bit overpowered. If there are better ones LMK.

The Def Techs I bought w/ the system are outstanding, to me anyways. I haven't purchsed any speakers since my USAF days in the early '80's and those were the top of the line Cerwin Vega for my stereo system. They have come a long way and so has the price!!

mylan

Screenwriter
If there are better ones..what? Speakers? Set up tests? From what I hear, the YPAO is pretty good, you might get the Avia disc with its own test tones, but I think you are set. You might want to experiment with hook up options to see which sound the best to you. When Home Theater magazine tested the 7006's, they ran speaker wire to it and set the receiver to "large". You can also run a line level LFE cable to them but considering you have the sub, I would connect it this way. There are many options to try: all speakers to "small"and sub on, all speakers to "large" + the sub.

Curtis*H

Auditioning
I was refering to the setup test.

Thanx for that info Mylan, I'll give it a try, still might need a little fine tuning on the speaker placement.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I love my DefTech bipolars. Try and pull them into the room a bit to give the back-echo some delay. It can really make your room open up.

Cables - you probably paid too much, but what's done is done. You had the advantage of having all the cables when you hooked things up.

A few suggestions (in case you are still able to do it):

- Put the reciever on the bottom shelf
- Put cable box's, Sat box's above it.
- Leave the upper shelves (at chest height) for the DVD player or game systems (things you touch).
- Group the power cords together and pull them to once side of the rack.
- Let the interconnects flow down the middle, or you can loosly bundle them with velcro straps.
- (The speaker wires should already be flowing away from anything else).

This will make things easy to maintain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks