-

Photo

Out of Africa-DVD AR

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted February 03 2006 - 05:12 PM

Does anyone know what the OAR was of Out of Africa? The IMDB says 1.85:1 but that there was a 70mm blow up. The end credits says "Filmed in Technovision." The dvd looks weird. The image looks "large" with faces slightly big and wide. The end credits even have a larger than normal font. Is it possible that this print was accidentally taken from the 70mm version?

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Erik_H

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted February 04 2006 - 12:44 AM

Not sure as to the exact ratio for "Out of Africa," but you might want to check out the Sydney Pollack interview on letterbox vs. pan/scan on the DVD of "The Interpreter". Pollack remarked that "Out of Africa" was the first film that he filmed in a less wide aspect ratio (presumably 1.85:1) and that the reason he did so was to minimize the loss of visual information due to pan/scan---he also acknowledged that "Out of Africa" was a film that would have benefitted from 2.35.1.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted February 04 2006 - 09:01 AM

1.85:1 can blow up to 70mm without changing the aspect ratio. The benefit would be the 6 track magnetic soundtrack (I'm talking about 1985 here).

Also, it's more expensive to transfer from 70mm, so I doubt it was done on mistake. The mid eighties did use big blocky titles so that doesn't surprise me at all.