Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Bits CES report - will it ever come?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#1 of 42 OFFLINE   Kyle_D

Kyle_D

Second Unit

• 403 posts

Posted February 02 2006 - 12:01 PM

Not to rag, but how many times has Bill said he's "just waiting for a few more documents" or that "the full report will be up later today/by the end of the week/early next week/etc."? It's been almost a full month since CES, 2 weeks since the Andy Parson's interview...I'm starting to wonder if we'll even get a look at it before the new HD formats launch.

At this point Bill, just post what you have and post the new stuff as you get it Posted Image

#2 of 42 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted February 02 2006 - 01:14 PM

We could start a pool. Posted Image I'll take April 22.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#3 of 42 OFFLINE   Kyle_D

Kyle_D

Second Unit

• 403 posts

Posted February 02 2006 - 01:57 PM

I'll take Feb 15 Posted Image

#4 of 42 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted February 02 2006 - 02:39 PM

I'll take July 30. Posted Image

I think that the problem is that he still has questions that he feels MUST be in his report, and he cannot get the answers for them.

Or, even worse, he has conflicting information, and I am not surprised at that. I can still see both sides changing specs before the first rollout.

Glenn

#5 of 42 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,814 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted February 08 2006 - 07:48 AM

Frankly, I haven't been reading daily as in years past given that there's been more hi def news available elsewhere. Did the CES report happen?

#6 of 42 OFFLINE   Cory S.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted February 08 2006 - 07:55 AM

Supposedly, he's posting it this week sometime.
"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves.  But, not the one it needs right now.  So, we'll hunt.  Because he can take.  Because, he's not a hero.  He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector.  A DARK KNIGHT."

#7 of 42 OFFLINE   Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted February 08 2006 - 10:02 AM

OK...not to pre-empt Bill or anything, but here is the best CES report so far IMHO...

http://www.cnet.com/...-1.html?tag=hed
Peter

My Collection

#8 of 42 OFFLINE   David Podjasek

David Podjasek

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted February 09 2006 - 08:57 AM

I sent Bill an email expressing how disappointed I've been with this whole CES tease... been about a week and no response (not that I neccessarily expect one).

I don't understand why he doesn't just post what he has and explain wherever it is unconfirmed or conflicting.

This fiasco has really hurt my opinion of the Bits... if he didn't keep dangling it in front of us like a carrot it wouldn't really bother me. But he's made so much of it that I am very anxious to see it.

#9 of 42 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,814 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted February 09 2006 - 08:59 AM

David, he's busy dealing with racoons! Posted Image

#10 of 42 OFFLINE   David Podjasek

David Podjasek

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted February 09 2006 - 09:33 AM

Quote:
David, he's busy dealing with racoons!

I noticed... Posted Image

#11 of 42 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted February 09 2006 - 10:38 AM

I think the problem is that on January 17 we were told just one small thing more needed to be done and we'd have it that day. It's still there.
page created: 1/17/06
The Bits @ CES 2006 - Show Report
(coming later today)

I don't know what the problem is with the one thing that needed to be added, but if it's expected to take less than one day, and 23 days later it's still a problem, then just post the rest of the report. I love the Bits, and pay no money for it, but at least take down the text that's promising it on January 17th.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#12 of 42 OFFLINE   Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson

Second Unit

• 445 posts

Posted February 09 2006 - 12:42 PM

At this late date, is Bill's report even relevant? This delay is typical of the site's "We'll get that posted for ya real soon!" mentality, and looks really poor for a site that purports to be among the leaders of DVD-related news. Good to know about the raccoons, though. And the Vikings. Cheers.

DS.

"Buncha slack-jawed faggots around here! This stuff'll make ya a goddam sexual tyrannasorse...just like me!"

-The former Gov. Ventura

See It...In StrotoVision!!

#13 of 42 OFFLINE   JackKay

JackKay

Second Unit

• 461 posts

Posted February 09 2006 - 01:53 PM

Dave, don't concern yourself then. Personally I can wait. Bill not only is in the know but has connections even he won't talk about. I can wait.
"I believe in censorship. After all, I made a fortune out of it." -Mae West

#14 of 42 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted February 11 2006 - 05:58 AM

I was wondering the same thing...it still says "coming tomorrow".

I'll assume that other events got in the way and now that CES is past maybe he's decided not to do it and forgot to change the notation on the CES report?
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#15 of 42 OFFLINE   GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,126 posts

Posted February 14 2006 - 02:26 AM

Looks like it's still on the radar:
Quote:
Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

Boy... you wonder why it's taking us so long to get the rest of our CES stuff up? Every time we turn around there's some major new announcement or news story to chase down! Not surprisingly, today is no exception.

#16 of 42 OFFLINE   Kyle_D

Kyle_D

Second Unit

• 403 posts

Posted February 14 2006 - 03:17 AM

Quote:
Boy... you wonder why it's taking us so long to get the rest of our CES stuff up? Every time we turn around there's some major new announcement or news story to chase down! Not surprisingly, today is no exception.

They should really post the stuff from CES and everything else they have now and post the new stuff as it comes. News on the new formats is coming so fast that they'll never get anything up if they keep delaying their report because of new information.

#17 of 42 OFFLINE   Jeff(R)

Jeff(R)

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted February 14 2006 - 05:15 AM

Posted Image

"Hello Bill, what's happening? Listen, are you gonna have that CES report for us this afternoon?"

#18 of 42 OFFLINE   Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted February 15 2006 - 08:26 AM

I have now read over the cnet report and found it very indepth. I don't know how Bill could top that report at such a late date. A CES report at this time is almost old news.

#19 of 42 OFFLINE   Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt

Second Unit

• 434 posts

Posted February 15 2006 - 10:32 AM

You guys are cracking me up. Yes, the report will come. The problem is that just about the time we get it close to being finished, some of the information is out of date. The situation behind-the-scenes on these formats is a little fluid right now.

The first thing we expect to post in the next few days is the transcript of over an hour-long interview with Toshiba's Mark Knox on HD-DVD.

I'll try to check in here to make an update when we have it.
Bill Hunt, Editor
The Digital Bits
http://www.thedigitalbits.com
billhunt@thedigitalbits.com

#20 of 42 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted February 15 2006 - 12:05 PM

Posted Image
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

Forum Nav Content I Follow