What's new

Star Trek: Borg - Fan Collective... first details (1 Viewer)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
DVD Review just announced the first details for Paramount's upcoming "Star Trek: Borg - Fan Collective" DVD compilation. Here's what will be represented on the set:

ENT: "Regeneration"

TNG: "Q Who?"
"The Best of Both Worlds, Parts 1 and 2"
"I, Borg"
"Descent, Parts 1 and 2"

VOY: "Scorpion, Parts 1 and 2"
"Drone"
"Dark Frontier"
"Unimatrix Zero, Parts 1 and 2"
"Endgame"

They've also announced that any audio and text commentaries from the season sets will be included in this collected set. I've checked, and of the episodes represented, there's only one audio commentary, and that was the Mike Sussman/Phyllis Strong audio commentary for "Regeneration".

http://www.dvdreview.com/news/

Having gotten all of the above-represented season sets previously, I felt apprehensive about whether or not to get this new set to see if anything new would be added. Seeing as how the only extra is the "Regeneration" audio commentary, I'll more than likely pass on it.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
These sets are good for anyone that wants to collect theme sets over season sets to save money, much like the Xfiles Mythology Sets (although X files are cheap now) if you own season sets you can just make these up yourself if your skilled in such things. I've combined some of my season sets into Favorite episode sets its easy to do.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
My memory could be off, but isn't that every major Borg episode for the franchise?

At any rate, I've got all the Trek I want, so I'm passing on this one too.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Much like the Jean-Luc Picard Collection from 2004, it's also a great way for the casual fan to sample episodes from the different series without having to shell out the megabucks for each specfic season (though Paramount has just recently lowered the prices on many of its ST season sets). I don't know what the price on this set will be, but I'll bet it'll be in the $30-$40 range.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
That's a tremendous set of Borg episodes for the casual Star Trek fan!

There could also be quite a few "hard-core" TNG fans that might have passed on the Voyager season boxes. For those fans it could well be worth the price of this set just to get all the great Voyager Borg episodes. ("Scorpion" and "Drone" are both *fabulous* representations of Star Trek.)

These new "Theme" collections could well prove to be a very worthwhile strategy for Paramount! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Wow, that looks like exactly the same information that we posted at 9 am PST after we worked on getting them for a few weeks.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5039

Seems a little odd that the episodes would be presented in exactly the same order that Dave listed them in our news.

I'll be sending Guido an email in a few moments.

Gord

Tom_S

Grip
Having never spent the money on the season sets I will likely be getting this Borg sert.

I really hope they make a similar set of all the Mirror Universe Episodes.

Enterprise
"In a Mirror, Darkly" Part I and II
Star Trek
"Mirror, Mirror"
"The Tholian Web" introduces The Defiant,
which appears in the Enterprise episodes.
Deep Space Nine
"Crossover"
"Through the Looking Glass"
"Shattered Mirror"
"Resurrection"
"The Emperor's New Cloak"

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Wait a second - the Borg appeared in Enterprise? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!?

Thank god this creatively bankrupt franchise has been finally put down.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

The fan complaint about this episode, of course, is that it terribly overthrows "Q Who" as the way the Borg find out about humanity.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Even thou Tholian Web leads into what happens in Enterprise I don't think it should be included here as it's technically not a MU Ep.

alanR

Auditioning
I own EVERYTHING startrek on DVD......you KNOW all star trek will come out on hi-def disks......maybe wait so I dont have to buy the collection for the fourth time......VHS,laserdisc,dvd,special edition dvd movies,hi-def dvd,dataholocubes(coming soon to a store near you)but this is a nice collection of cherry episodes....

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I don't see why Regeneration necessarily conflicts with the "Q Who" continuity. I never saw the Enterprise episode, but if Archer succeeds in keeping them from contacting any other Borg than I guess it works fine.

Doesn't explain why the Federation would have no inkling of what they are when Picard runs into them for the first time in "Q Who" though.

MattSav

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I've been considering picking up the Borg Collective. I've been out of Trek Fandom for a long time (since about the 4th season of DS9). I recently imported the TNG TV Movie box that was released in Region 2 - which collects all the two part episodes of TNG and was disappointed by the PAL speed-up and conversion of the episodes (NTSC to PAL to NTSC via my player.)

So I've thought about picking up the Borg Collective - were there any DS9 episodes (outside the pilot's flashbacks) that had The Borg in them?

Are there any major, i.e. excluding general 7 of 9 eps, Borg episodes not represented in this set?

Thanks!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well you have to really suspend disbelief to believe that even thou they never found out they were called Borg, that no record of the encounter would exist in the 24th Century. Surely video records were made of at least what they looked like.

Tom_S

Grip
The thing is the Borg did NOT first learn about Humanity in "Q Who". In the last episode of TNG's first season "The Neutral Zone" both the Enterprise D and a Romulan ship are investigating mysterious attacks of Outposts on either side of the Neutral Zone. Both sides suspect the the other but sensors indicate that the outposts themselves have been 'scooped' up off the surface, by some powerful force. By the end of the episode it remains an unresolved mystery. These events are actually briefly mentioned in "Q Who" in an offhanded way.

Originally the Borg were going to be introduced much earlier on TNG and as a result the early references to them on TNG itself are inconsistent. The Enterprise episode actually explains this. Because it is clear that the Borg knew of Humans on their own, before any intervention by Q.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
As for the "First Contact" part, yeah it tied in neatly with that. But it also messes with the idea that the Borg didn't find out about humanity until the events of "Q Who". Tom_S right above makes a valid point that it tries to resolve things a bit with the events of "The Neutral Zone". Here's the problem I have with Tom's explanation. He says this:

I had the VERY good fortune during the run of ST:TNG to hang around the CompuServe SciFi forum with several folks from the show. No cast members posted there, although some were rumored to lurk now and again. But David Gerrold, Mike Okuda, Ronald D. Moore, and Rick Sternbach pop into my head as some of the names I remember most (they were the most prolific posters from the show). Jim Shaun Lyon, who's dropped the "Jim" these days and runs GallifreyOne.com (Doctor Who site), was the administrator for the Forum.

I'm not trying to name-drop, but hopefully I've established that I had SOME sort of pipeline, however minor, into some of the issues that affected the show. I started hanging out there (lurking at first, before getting up the nerve to post) around the end of the first season. Right before the time The Neutral Zone aired. I was a member there very strongly well into the 4th season, after Best Of Both Worlds Part II. They often talked there about issues that affected the show.

There was never, EVER any talk about The Borg storyline not happening when they intended it to.

Now, I have no qualms about admitting that the way things came off was awkward. The "scooping" in TNG was indeed Borg-like. The initial thought of fans was that it was related to the previous episode, "Conspiracy". But when "Q Who" came along, we knew better. But it was strange to think that some sort of Borg scout vessel had found the Neutral Zone and scooped up outposts from both UFP and Romulans along there. The writers just let it lie. Fans didn't worry about it.

But trying to retro-fix it in Enterprise was even more awkward to most fans. I know, some like it. But it just seemed so gosh-darn coincidental that the message to the Delta Quadrant would get there just in time to spur a Cube into action and have it head our way just in time for Best Of Both Worlds. Or The Neutral Zone, if you prefer. But then again, if it was TNZ, then were exactly did the cube hide out during Season 2 and almost all of Season 3 (and the time between seasons it took for Geordi to become Chief Engineer)?

The situation with TNZ/QW/BoBW couldn't be fixed, really, so the folks at Enterprise shouldn't have even tried. Make "Regeneration" if you want to, but end it without the message to Delta Quadrant (did that remind you of TNG's "Conspiracy" at all?) and just make it a self-contained story. Make it strictly a First Contact tie-in, and don't try to mess with Q Who.

That's my opinion on it. I hope I didn't sound too whiny. If you don't like my take on it, then let's agree to disagree, okay?

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator
That's one awesome collection.

ENT: "Regeneration" - An underrated favorite of the first two years of Enterprise. In my opinion, First Contact altered the timeline, and this fits in perfectly--and even makes "Dark Frontier" flow smoothly throughout the continituity.

TNG: "Q Who?"
"The Best of Both Worlds, Parts 1 and 2" - Still quite good. The final saucer seper. Awesomely-paced. Tremendous cliffhanger.
"I, Borg" - Sort of slow and underwhelming. Perhaps the weakest on this set.
"Descent, Parts 1 and 2" - Underrated Borg two-parter. Good action, continuity, and well-paced from start to finish.

VOY: "Scorpion, Parts 1 and 2" - OH YEAH. One of Voyager's best.
"Drone" - Also good.
"Dark Frontier" - An incredibly well-done two-hour episode that is just great all around.
"Unimatrix Zero, Parts 1 and 2" - Another great.
"Endgame" - Another excellent Voyager "movie" event. This means all Borg-related two-parters of Voyager are in one collection. Quite awesome.

Of course, I have most of these episodes on the season collections. But, I have to say that the episodes on this one are almost all extremely excellent (especially the top-notch Voyager selections).

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

That doesn't even begin to touch the huge continuity issues brought about by the Voyager ep, The Raven where 7 of 9 and her parents, Magnus & Erin Hansen, met the Borg about 10 years before the events depicted in Q Who?. I applaud TPTB for trying to fix continuity with Regeneration but this whole thing is fubared.

The set looks awesome but it's too bad they didn't go bigger and include *all* the Borg episodes, like the aforementioned The Raven and Unity.

Tom_S

Grip
David Lambert, Wow I never expected any kind of response like that! I am not sure what to say.

Well that is all I was really saying. Clearly "The Neutral Zone" was setting up the Borg. Also that "Q Who" does not really address the implications of that earlier episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks