-

Photo
- - - - -

"The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
143 replies to this topic

#1 of 144 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted February 01 2006 - 06:39 PM

Andrew Adamson seems to be returning as director and the film is being prepped for a Christmas 2007 release. I wonder if they'll be able to keep the franchise successful enough to get all 7 of the books filmed.

http://www.comingsoo...ws.php?id=13007

#2 of 144 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,203 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 01 2006 - 10:44 PM

My guess is that they easily have it made for the first 3 books (LWW, PC, and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader).

After that, VDT will have to be a smash hit to greenlight any more films, IMO. I say this because of a couple factors:

1) The protagonists change. VDT has Lucy and Edmond, which allows a strong tie to LWW and PC. But The Silver Chair has Eustace, who we only know from VDT, Jill, and Puddleglum. And is SC is successful, one has to decide whether or not to move on to the Eustace/Jill (sort-of) centered The Last Battle - which has a story that is almost unfilmable from a narrative perspective, IMO - or to go to either A Horse and His Boy or The Magician's Nephew. And both of those have their own problems: new protagonists, new concepts (HHB has no earth children going to Narnia), etc.

2) The stories are just very different in tone. While they are all adventures, they are not all adventures in the same way as LWW. While this changing adventure type may be a good thing, it will jar people not familiar with the changes. People know what to expect form a Harry Potter film, because they take the same basic steps. Once VDT is made, people will be stepping into a Narnia story that has no epic battle at the end and no primary villain. Instead of a world under enchantment we have a series of small adventures at a number of islands. VDT is more about inner character and integrity than grand fulfillment of prophecy and perpetual winter melting away. And the other books stray further - SC is a rescue mission adventure, HHB is a daring journey for freedom, MN is an observant tale that pauses a loooooong time to see the birth of Narnia, and LB is dark despondency for 2/3rds, and then the last 3rd is a grand jubilee.

3) You never know how a series will do over the entire course, and 7 good-to-great films is a lot of pressure, and rarely is it pulled off.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 144 OFFLINE   RafaelB

RafaelB

Second Unit

• 448 posts

Posted February 02 2006 - 12:59 AM

I kind of hope that they merge the Prince Caspian adaptation with Dawn Treader to fill out the film. I just re-read PC and found that the story was very simple and the Dawn Treader addition would flesh out Caspian's character and make for a better-paced film.

Rafael.

#4 of 144 OFFLINE   Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted February 02 2006 - 02:11 AM

I posted these thoughts on Caspian in the box office thread. Reposting here:

There is the chance to embellish Capsian to make it an enchanting film. In particular, they can dial up the mystery in the early part of the film.

My ideas:

Start with an LOTR style prologue that chronciles what happened in Narnia since our four heroes left. In this section, build up the tension between Evil King Caspian and his hatred for old Narnia. Then, when we move forward to the return of our heroes to Narnia, we have more tension. Play up the mystery of them trying to discover what happened. Then, near the end you'll have to enhance the battle scenes (not unlike what they did with part 1).

If they do things like this, I think Caspian has the chance to be a successful adaptation. But I agree that it's going to be tough.

#5 of 144 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,661 posts

Posted February 02 2006 - 02:33 AM

This will be a tall order but based on the huge success of the current Narnia film, I think they will get it right. I sure hope...Posted Image

#6 of 144 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,203 posts

Posted February 02 2006 - 06:39 AM

I'm glad there's no attempt to combine PC with VDT, mainly because I don't want them to sell VDT short. That film could be masterful if they keep all the adventures intact.

And great ideas for Prince Caspian, Chris. Posted Image

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 144 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,914 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted February 02 2006 - 07:32 AM

My understanding was that they had planned on making all of the,and making them as faithful to the books as possible, i know some are saying that this story is short, well no one said that it had to be a three hour picture, it not like the potter books where you have to trim so much, those get progressively bigger as the series goes along, but with this the stories themselves are there just waiting to be adapted.
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#8 of 144 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted February 02 2006 - 05:34 PM

Since Chris has reposted his thoughts from the Box Office thread, I may as well repost my original comments that he was commenting on:
Quote:
But, having recently reread Caspian, I just don't see it doing too well. It just isn't a very strong story. All the other Narnia books would make excellent films, but not Caspian. The only way I see Caspian succeeding is if they make major story changes.

Here is basically what happens in Caspian:
The Pevensies are sucked to an abandoned forest, they wander around for a while going "Where are we", before realising this is the castle of Cair Paravel fallen into ruin since it has been hundreds of years in Narnia since their reign. They save a dwarf, who tells them a long story in flashback about Caspian, which basically amounts to evil-uncle-trying-to-kill-him-and-wipe-out-Old-Narnia. They go on a journey to help Caspian, Lucy sees Aslan but no-one else believes her, they arrive in the battle, which ends up being a swordfight between Peter and the evil uncle, while Aslan goes around freeing everyone from being miserable.
It is definitely the worst of the Narnia books, and I am sad to think that the future of the series in film depends on the success of this story.

I mean, let's look at the problems of this as a film:
The opening sequence focuses on four characters with no idea what is going on, discussing what to eat. Then the story suddenly goes into a long flashback with a character we don't know. Then we're back to the four people again, plus one more, going on a journey for a while. A few moments of suspense when they're attacked by arrows. The stuff in the actual camp and the battle with Uncle Miraz will be good on-screen, but all that stuff Aslan does just feels like a reprise of his freeing the statues in TLTWATW, only really bad.

If I remember correctly, the BBC version covered Caspian in 2 30-minute episodes and pretty much covered everything. There really is that little to the story. (By contrast, they did TLTWATW in 6 episodes, Dawn Treader in 4, and The Silver Chair in 6.)

Chris's suggestions are interesting, and could help. It would mean, however, that we spend the first however-long-it-takes effectively establishing Caspian as the main character, before abandoning them for the Pevensies for quite a long time.

The more I think about it, the more I have difficulty imagining just how they could make the film stay close to the original novel while still working as a film.

Quote:
i know some are saying that this story is short, well no one said that it had to be a three hour picture
I wouldn't suggest that Caspian should be a three-hour film - it never could be. But I think you could be stretching it to make even a 90-minute film.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#9 of 144 OFFLINE   nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted February 03 2006 - 01:58 AM

All I could think of to pull off PC is what Chris suggested, but maybe a little more elaborate. Take the King Caspian story and make it the first 20 minutes or 30 minutes then have the rest of the story played out.

At the end I liked Prince Caspian, a slow start but then it works out and gets better in the middle and the end is great.
-Nick G.

"The number of people whose permission I need before I can do whatever the hell I want..." - Josh Lyman

#10 of 144 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,914 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted February 03 2006 - 02:49 AM

Dumbo clocks in at around 64 min, does that make it any less of a movie, between 60 to 90 min to tell the story would work, think about it this way, done right, because it is a great finish, this would have more run times per day so that would benefit it.
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#11 of 144 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted February 20 2006 - 06:26 PM

Quote:
I kind of hope that they merge the Prince Caspian adaptation with Dawn Treader to fill out the film. I just re-read PC and found that the story was very simple and the Dawn Treader addition would flesh out Caspian's character and make for a better-paced film.
Rafael, you may get your wish. Dark Horizons has some comments from the visual-effects supervisor for Narnia where he says:
Quote:
[Also] we successfully avoided Aslan getting doused in water in this. But as soon as we get into the Dawn Treader [a ship that figures in Caspian] and that sort of stuff, it's going to be harder to avoid" says Wright.
Sounds like we may be getting Dawn Treader compressed into Caspian.

I don't really like the idea. On the one hand, Caspian needs all the help it can get, but Dawn Treader is easily worthy of its own film. Plus, I don't see how the films would mesh. The characters change in Treader - we lose Peter and Susan and gain Eustace - and there would be a strange divide in the film if, 45 minutes into the film, they leave Narnia and come right back. Unless they stay in Narnia. But what to do with the character changes? They could construct it so Eustace happens to go with them from the railway station, and then just have him take part in everything, but then what to do about Peter and Susan? Have Caspian decide immediately after taking the country to go out to sea and leave it in the hands of Peter and Susan to run? That would work, but make no sense - the books at least gave him a few years as king before he went on his voyage. Plus what to do with Eustace?
Have him carry on being awful for most of the film until the dragon event changes him? Which would be unconvincing. Or else lose the dragon event, or radically change its significance - neither of which seem like good ideas.
Frankly, the more I think about compressing Caspian and Treader, the less I like it and the more convinced I am that it just couldn't work.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#12 of 144 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted February 21 2006 - 04:06 PM

Quote:
Frankly, the more I think about compressing Caspian and Treader, the less I like it and the more convinced I am that it just couldn't work.

Just because the Dawn Treader is in Caspian, doesn't mean that they are merging plots.

Jason

#13 of 144 OFFLINE   Chip_HT

Chip_HT

Stunt Coordinator

• 228 posts

Posted February 22 2006 - 05:18 PM

It's been ages since I've read the books, and the Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe is the only one I remember the majority of the plot from.....but I do remember that Horse and His Boy kind of sucked, Magician's Nephew was okay, but more in a "so that's how that happened" sense. I can't remember much of PC, VDT, and SC, but I remember that I really wanted to see the final book adapted.

#14 of 144 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,203 posts

Posted February 22 2006 - 06:54 PM

Horse and His Boy hardly sucks. It's the best one, IMO. A great adventure novel for ten-year olds.

#15 of 144 OFFLINE   Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,080 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted February 23 2006 - 01:19 AM

I agree. The Horse And His Boy was my favourite but can wait as it doesnt feature the Pevensie children (except maybe right at the end I think for about 2 pages). Its more of a stand-alone book from what I remember. I imagine they will film in this order if they are going to make all seven

Prince Caspian
Voyage Of The Dawn Treader
Silver Chair
The Last Battle
The Horse and His Boy
The Magician's Nephew

#16 of 144 OFFLINE   CoreyII

CoreyII

Second Unit

• 474 posts

Posted February 23 2006 - 07:32 AM

Just a quick question. I know of the Narnia Books but I've never read them, with that in mind, is Jadis the villain through out the entire series or is she only in the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe?

Oh, I guess I have one more question, which book is generally considered the best by the fans?

Thank you.

#17 of 144 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted February 23 2006 - 07:40 AM

Quote:
I know of the Narnia Books but I've never read them, with that in mind, is Jadis the villain through out the entire series or is she only in the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe?

Her only other appearance is in the prequel, The Magician's Nephew IIRC.

"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#18 of 144 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,202 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 23 2006 - 10:06 AM

I hope they do The Silver Chair. I can't remember much from the book (other than the giants) but of the BBC adaptations it's the only that remains the most vivid in my mind. I still remember his helmet and the actual chair.

#19 of 144 OFFLINE   Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter

• 1,494 posts

Posted February 23 2006 - 11:40 AM

Quote:
Just a quick question. I know of the Narnia Books but I've never read them, with that in mind, is Jadis the villain through out the entire series or is she only in the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe?

She is briefly mentioned, but not seen, in Prince Caspian, and her origin is explained in The Magician's Nephew, although you don't realize it's her until near the end of the book.

I'd spoiler your post David, since her appearance in that book is something a surprise.

#20 of 144 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted February 23 2006 - 12:23 PM

Quote:
I'd spoiler your post David, since her appearance in that book is something a surprise.

I didn't think so because it's not like they hide the name, but I spoilerized it just in case.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow