What's new

New receiver or seperates needed (Denon vs Outlaw vs Rotel) (1 Viewer)

willJT

Auditioning
I have been reading a bunch of reviews for all the options out there. I can spend at max $2500. I am considering the following options -

1) Outlaw 990/7125 $1900
2) Used Denon 4302R $1000
3) New Denon 4806 $2600
4) Rotel 1068/1080/1075 $2500 used
5) Rotel 1067 $1750

As you can see I have not been able to narrow it down. Basically it is Outlaw vs Denon vs Rotel. Any insite would be appreciated or if there is a better option, let me know.

My speaker setup is the following -

Fronts - DefTech Power Monitor 700
Center - DefTech C/L/R 2300
Surround - DefTech BP2X
Rear - DefTech ProMonitor 100

No sub yet, I am in a condo and cannot force myself to buy a nice sub when I know I can get the full effect without pissing off the neighbors. But as for where I live is less of a concern right now because I plan on moving within a year or 2.

Thanks for the help!

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I would say if you can afford it, step into seperates.
Sure the Denon's might have more bells and whistles and stuff, but you can never go wrong with a dedicated amp with which all your other stuff can revolve around.

Where are you located?

Eric_Bender

Agent
You might also check into Adcom's separates. They are at least as good as the Rotel, better than Denon, but not quite at the level of the Outlaw. Look into the GTP830 or 880 and one of their Amps. You might consider buying used through eBay.

Eric

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
what do people think of NAD components? a local deal here still sells their separates and honks the "real power" horn.

re: willJT, it's all about application. if movie sound is very important to you, go with Denon's 4806. i think it's around $1800 shipped to your house. it also has all analog upconverting to HDMI so it's fairly future-proof. if music sound, then ask around, that's a harder question to answer, i dunno as much about that end. or if you're not in a hurry, you can wait. with the new HD formats, there's also Dolby Digital HD, True HD, DTS-HD, none of which current receiverse support yet. i believe the only that would possibly support it is the new Onkyo a/v "component" receiver. forgot what model#.

Neal_C

Second Unit
I have Def Techs as well (bp2002tl mains, clr2002 center, and bp2x surrounds) and I am very happy with my Rotel 1055/1075 combo. I bought it brand new a couple years ago for about $1800.

I decided to go with the 1055 receiver to use as a pre/pro instead of the 1066 because 1)it was $300 cheaper; 2) I get a tuner; 3) I have back up amplification if my 1075 were to die; and 4)the difference in distortion levels are minute and not noticeable.

Rotel receivers are basically their dedicated preamps with an amplifier section stuck in them.

Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks