What's new

Been a bit dead here in the 12 volt forum (1 Viewer)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I'll bite. I am going to be installing an Alpine head unit (9856, new for 2006), the Sirius Sat Radio module, the new Alpine "Full Speed" iPod cable, an Alpine 40W X 4 amp and Infinity Reference speakers (2 4x6 plates, 2 5.25 2-ways) in my 2004 Jeep Wrangler as soon as the new head units arrive (Feb. 6th). I'll be tapping into the existing speaker wiring so I don't lose the stock subwoofer and amp, which takes speaker level line ins for input. New amp will be mounted in the add-a-trunk for security, the Sirius module will be behind the dash and the iPod in the glove compartment, mounted to a "button" from an aftermarket carrying case from Belden. Satellite antenna will be mounted to the rollbar, under the padding. This was recommended by other Jeep owners who ensured me the Sat signals will pass through both the cloth soft top and the fiberglass hardtop. Beats having to mount it to the body or the hood.

Best thing about this is the iPod cable allows me to move all my CD's to a more fitting place at home. Carrying around 100+ CD's was like having a permanent extra passenger in an interior as small as a Jeep.

Spencer M

Grip
Well for me it's the new Pioneer AVIC-Z1 coming in April. Replacing my AVIC-D1. Adding XM Nav traffic to it to go with my Pioneer mids and highs a 10" MTX 8510 sub and MTX TA 3401 and 5604 amps. All in my 06 4 Runner.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

True. but I've owned Jeeps of one kind or another for years. The one thing you get a lesson on early is security (hence my addition of the add-a-trunk, a secure area behind the rear seat). It will definitely be better with the iPod in the glove, though.

Jacob*C

Auditioning
this summer I get to install my dual 15 Avalanches and Infinity 1210A...along with about 500 dollars worth of secondskin sludge;)

Diallo B

Screenwriter
if i have my way i will be adding some form of dynamat (sound deadening) to the entire cab of the car to reduce the noise floor.

it is one of the best things you can do to improve the sound quality of your system.

a few months ago i updated my existing kenwood excelon 817 with the new excelon 889. bar none this is the best receiver i have ever owned. (out of many different high end brands) i run this to a mtx thunder 2300 (1 X 700 watts rms) and a mtx thunder 4320 (4 x 85 watts rms). amazingly i bought both of these amps brand new 8 years ago and both are still running fine.

so i don't have any major purchases planned for this year. but i have learned that in car audio you get what you pay for; and in my experience what i have paid for has given me much more than what i have paid for it.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Finished this install today. Took about 5 hours, not including soldering and shrink tubing the leads. Sounds amazing and has more clean power than I'll ever need (gains are only at 1/3). The "Full Speed" iPod cable is excellent. Much, much faster than the 1st generation iPod controllers, basically it is less than a half second slower than the iPod when it goes to play a song because it does a very short search. All other selections are just as if you were using the iPod. Plus, instead of $100 for the extra iPod module, it is just a $29.00 cable. Highly recommended.

Spencer M

Grip
Sounds good Jeff. Buddy of mine is waiting on the same head unit. I am not sure if he uses a ipod but if he does I will suggest the full speed cable.

Users who are viewing this thread