-

Photo
- - - - -

Hiil Street Blues

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   Richard Ringenbach

Richard Ringenbach

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 10:19 AM

I purchased the first season of "The Hill Street Blues" today and was very disappointed with the quality of the packaging and double sided disks.The first set I opened had a scratched disk and a broken hub.The second thru the fifth set I opened had scratched disks and finger prints on the disks. What happened to your quality,Fox? I finally gave up and took a set with just finger prints on the disks just to get the set.Also why did you go to two sided disks rather then dual layer single sided disks? I sure hope you resolve your quality issues and hope you go back to single sided disks!
Thank you!
Richard A. Ringenbach
ring2@alltel.net

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   Terry H

Terry H

Second Unit

• 319 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 10:35 AM

Well, I hate to say it but this review at dvdtalk:
http://www.dvdtalk.c...ad.php?ID=19903
rates the video quality at 1.5 out of 5. Posted Image I call that piss poor.
I really enjoyed this show back in the day but if this really is dvd-18 as Richard indicates that is just the kiss of death as far as I'm concerned. I have nothing but trouble with dvd-18. Posted Image
Glad I waited for reviews.

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   BradD

BradD

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 12:03 PM

How very disappointing.

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   Nick_Feduccia

Nick_Feduccia

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 12:50 PM

Here's the dilemma: do we not purchase HSB:S1 due to the poor quality and risk Fox (who is notorious for doing this) abondoning the series because of poor sales or do we get it and suffer through the poor quality. I've already bought it before I knew about the quality issue and am about to watch it.
I've waited for this title since the inception of TV on DVD and would have bought it anyway, regardless of the quality. I don't like it as much as you guys, but in my eyes, beggers can't be choosers. I HATE that we're at the mercy of the studios in this way. Perhaps Fox is just testing the waters with this release and the later seasons will be better. I dunno. What I'm trying to say is PLEASE don't let this deter you from buying the set if you really want it. This is one series that deserves to be preserved on DVD.

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 01:40 PM

I have gone thru the first three episodes and the show looks about the way I remember it. So far no playback problems. It is so nice to be able to see this show uncut for the first time since the initial airings.

I miss the still shot of the police car when the show has commercial breaks. Other than that, it is about what I expected. I don't believe FOX did ANY remastering/restoration of these episodes.

Just glad to have it on disc. Finally. Posted Image
a:5:{s:9:"signature

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 03:56 PM

See my Thread on Double sided disks to see what I think of them, so far thou I lucked out, better than I did with Time Tunnel. No Hubs Broken and No Scratched Disks. The Quality I thought is pretty good I watched these in Prime time and this was about how they looked. I just wish they did 5 DVD-9's
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   Derek K.

Derek K.

Stunt Coordinator

• 66 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 04:50 PM

Bought the set.

Watching it now. All seems ok here.

PLEASE BUY THIS SET! WE WANT ALL OF THE SEASONS!!!

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   Scott Hamilton

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 05:07 PM

Watching the set now, the video looks great to me better the then re-runs I have seen on Court-TV and on other channels over the years.

When I was a kid watching the originals I don't ever remember it being that great video anyways, it was always dark and grainy to me.

The only problem I have is the missing still shot of the police car at the commercial breaks.

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   MarkBirds

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 05:24 PM

I also picked this up today, and I plan to buy future seasons, if they're produced.

Now, when are we gonna get St. Elsewhere?
I loves me some zombies.

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 10:46 PM

Quote:
...and I plan to buy future seasons, if they're produced.

Not much to worry about, at least for Season 2. Posted Image

Now, when are we gonna get St. Elsewhere?
That's a question I still am trying to get the answer to!
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen

Supporting Actor

• 649 posts

Posted February 01 2006 - 12:35 AM

Quote:
Not much to worry about, at least for Season 2.

Sounds like good news.Posted Image

Thanks Dave.
a:5:{s:9:"signature

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted February 01 2006 - 01:05 AM

Quote:
PLEASE BUY THIS SET! WE WANT ALL OF THE SEASONS!!!

10-4, Derek. I'm going to get all of this series. After reading some early "reviews" on the video, it's sounding better for those of use who are waiting for the mail on this one.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,215 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted February 01 2006 - 07:15 AM

Is the MTM kitty still present? (On this show, he wears a policeman's hat)

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

• 786 posts

Posted February 01 2006 - 07:25 AM

The video quality looks fine to me -- about the same as the other MTM hour-long shows released by Fox. The double-sided discs are a bummer, though, as usual.

And yes, the MTM kitten is there, complete with hat.

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   David Coleman

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted February 01 2006 - 02:37 PM

I've watched side A of the first disc and while there is an intermittent "soft focus" at times it's very fleeting!

I don't think you can expect a pristine looking version of HILL ST as that's was never the look.

I must agree much better looking that the reruns i've seen though.

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted February 02 2006 - 06:38 AM

There is another earlier thread on this subject!
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted February 02 2006 - 07:54 AM

just waiting for this to arrive
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   StephenALT

StephenALT

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted February 02 2006 - 03:32 PM

I'm only halfway through the second episode and so far so good. In fact, it's great. I'm prob. more lenient than the average post-er when it comes to video quality, but I agree with David when he says that the show never had a pristine look in the first place. I'm just amazed it is as good as I remembered, since sadly most things arent't!!

Now here's what's bothering me (besides the missing still shot of the police car at the commercial breaks): Taurean Blacque's VO's for the teasers. The ones on the DVDs feel kinda fabricated (like they were recreated for the DVD, which is highly unlikely) and I thought they used Blacque as the announcer from Day One (Bochco even mentions it in the audio commentary). To me, the episode didn't begin with the title card for "Roll Call"; it began with Taurean saying, "Previously on Hill Street Blues"!

By the way, is it my imagination or did Bochco, Sikking, and Spano sound a little sleazy on the commentary?

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   Derek K.

Derek K.

Stunt Coordinator

• 66 posts

Posted February 02 2006 - 11:11 PM

Commentary was a bit of a snooze. Getting Goldblum was quite the coup! Posted Image

Too bad they couldnt get Travanti for commentary.

I hear that he was a bit of a pain in the ass.

Who cares though ... He was perfect in that role.

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted February 02 2006 - 11:39 PM

I think Travanti had a bit of a big head especially considering the biggest roles he go before the series was along the lines of the Hippy Space Biker in Lost in Space.

The Previews on the Disk were created for the Syndicated run of HSB's in the 90's I'm actually Kinda surprised they are on there.

Also I like the Way Fox is Pimping Dennis Franz on the Back Cover as he Does'nt turn up a "Norman Buntz" unitl the Last 2 years of the Show (When it really Does become the Norman Buntz show) He does do a turn early on as a Crooked Cop, but it's a bit misleading to the consumer. Geez why did'nt they just put Caruso on the Cover too ? At least he's in there as Gang Leader of the Shamrocks.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

Forum Nav Content I Follow