What's new

Leave It To Beaver S2 Coming (1 Viewer)

FrancisP

Screenwriter
According to tvshowsondvd.com season 2 will be coming on May 3rd. This is good news because this is a relatively quick turnaround time for Universal. I would assume that the first set sold fairly well. Hopefully this will show that there is a market for older b&w shows.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
This is great news. My whole family really enjoyed season 1, and who knows, maybe we'll get S3 this year too!

June Cleaver: Eddie seems to know a lot about the law.
Wally Cleaver: Yeah, he told his father, in three years he's going over the wall.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nope. Not Dave "I've got fingers like a chicken" Lambert! :D

I've got no idea what that means... I just thought it had a funny sound to it! :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
We're getting mighty close, gang! :D

I might actually NOT go down to Metzger's Field for the ballgame that day just to make sure I can get my copy of the discs!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
As long as Universal keeps pumping out the series at a reasonable rate (and twice a year is certainly acceptable) I'll be happy.

Gary "can't wait for this one to arrive" O.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
[fingers crossed]I wonder if there's any chance we'll get another "personal review" from David VP on this title?[/keeping fingers crossed]

:D

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Yes indeedy. (How on Earth did you guess that? :))

I've got a mile-long tome scheduled for Beaver-2 (to bore you to tears no doubt ;)), as soon as I get the pretty blue package from Amazon that is. It shipped at 4:44:03 AM EDT this morning (May 2nd) -- which I'm certain is important shipping data that you'll want to log into your Beaver notebooks asap. :D

Seems to me that Amazon is a tad slow to ship pre-ordered items lately; they probably should ship 'em a few days ahead of the release date, to get them to Beaver-lovers (et al) on the day of release. I think that is the normal policy, but sometimes they lag behind. But Amazon is still tops in the biz, IMO.

Amazon might say to me in this "Always in a hurry for your Beavers" regard (a la Ward Cleaver):

"I didn't think you were going to put a micrometer on it (us)!"

(Or does that only apply to basketball "blackboards" that are installed a foot too low?) :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Well, I really wasn't sure. But am glad to hear the answer! I was afraid I hadn't seen you around much since the software upgrade. Maybe I just wasn't looking in the right places! :D

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I eagerly look forward to your review, too David. As mentioned in another section, I snagged a copy of this today and although I did not have time to watch a full episode, I did pop in disc 1 just to check out the lay of the land.

A couple of quick observations (and bare in mind this based SOLELY on the first several minutes of the first episode.)

The exterior packaging is aesthetically pleasing and compliments the first season very nicely. The on-screen menus also adhere to the format of season one - cool!

Now for the not-so-good news... When you select an episode, it immediately jumps to the show open. Personally, I miss the descriptions that preceded each episode in the first set. I thought the bits of behind-the-scenes information in the mini-essays added to the overall enjoyment of each show.

On the plus side, when I say "...it immediately jumps to the show open," I mean that literally. No more black & white Universal animation to contend with.

Back to the not-so-good news. I did not do a direct A-B comparison with the first season, but even though the video presentation looks very serviceable, my knee-jerk reaction is that it is not as eye-poppingly pristine as its predecessor. In just the few minutes that I watched, I observed several white specks and some dirt artifacts. Don't get me wrong, for its age, the show looks great, it just does not look quite as brilliant as the first season did. If Universal hadn't raised the bar so high with that one, I'd probably be thrilled with this transfer, it's just that I know how good this show can and should look. Perhaps this episode is an anomaly and as I make my way through the other episodes, it will not be a problem.

But, that's enough rambling from me. Bring on the REAL reviews! I can't wait to read what you Beaver experts have to say about season two! :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Gary: DVD-18s?

I don't have mine yet...but I think I'd be okay with jumping right from the menu selection to the show open. Frankly, I thought the descriptions were a bit overkill on Season 1 and it's a definite plus NOT to have to sit through the Universal logo everytime.

I certainly hope the transfer issue is an anomaly. I suppose we'll have to get a more detailed look before jumping to any negative conclusions...but that's quite a "red flag".

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Yes. Three double-sided discs, but this time around there is no "Discs Made in Mexico" stamp, so maybe Universal is using a different plant.

As far as the transfer goes, don't get me wrong, the show looks fine (great for a 50+ year-old program!) It's just that on the small portion of the one episode I watched, I did not think (think being the operative word without doing a direct comparison to season one) it looked quite as good as my recollection of the earlier set.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
There's also chapter stops within each episode on this season, and I'm pretty sure there weren't on S1 (1 chapter stop for the Universal logo & 1 for the whole episode is how I recall S1, but too lazy to pull it out and confirm.:))

DanFe

Second Unit
Got mine two days ago from Amazon and the Made in Mexico sticker is prominently there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks