Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Classic Films At the Ziegfeld NYC from 2/3 (GODFATHER. LOTR, IND. JONES, more)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#1 of 52 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,445 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 03:02 AM

http://www.clearview....ics/index.html

The Ziegfeld Theater will be showing classic films for the next month beginning Friday February 3. Films such as The Godfather Parts 1 and 2, Indiana Jones Trilogy, Lord of the Rings Trilogy, West Side Story, Chicago, My Fair Lady,
Ben Hur, Gladiator, Chinatown, and Braveheart will be included. To see these films on the big screen is fantastic.
Tickets are only $7.50 per film . If you are in the NY area
please take advantage of this.

#2 of 52 OFFLINE   Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 03:21 AM

I wonder if they'll show Ben-Hur in 70mm, considering that the Ziegfeld showed Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm in 2002.

Also, I wonder if the film print of Raiders will feature the glass wall in the cobra scene. Posted Image

#3 of 52 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,588 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 03:27 AM

Apparently, all the prints are 35mm.

"Movies...the way they were meant to be seen!" Gee, I wonder where I've heard that before?!

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#4 of 52 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,445 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 04:22 AM

I think most if not all the films listed were available in 70MM . As this would be a selling point and 70 MM is not listed, I would also have to assume these are 35MM prints.

#5 of 52 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,627 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 04:32 AM

I don't believe there ever were 70mm prints made of the LotR trilogy, Gladiator, Godfather, Chinatown or Chicago.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#6 of 52 OFFLINE   Erik_H

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 129 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 05:01 AM

This topic is also discussed on the Cinema Treasures website listing for the Ziegfeld. One of the posters wrote that he contacted Clearview Cinemas (which operates the Ziegfeld) to ask if any 70MM prints were being used for the upcoming revival series and was told no.

#7 of 52 OFFLINE   StephenALT

StephenALT

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 07:45 AM

This reminds me of the couple of Radio City Music Hall festivals from the mid-90s (one year there was a week of WB films, 2 years later there was a week of Universal films). Whenever possible, they had the 70mm prints (i.e. My Fair Lady). Everything looked amazing--but sounded horrible.

Arthur Penn introduced Bonnie & Clyde; 2 of the writers of Blazing Saddles introduced that; and Ellen Burstyn and William Friedkin introduced The Exorcist.

#8 of 52 OFFLINE   Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 632 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 08:01 AM

I saw this advertised in Time-Out. I definitely want to see West Side Story and the 2 Godfather films.

#9 of 52 OFFLINE   Llappin

Llappin

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted February 04 2006 - 06:21 AM

For the fans of LOTR trilogy, Cearview Ziegfield theatre in New York will be screening the LoTR trilogy in its entirety every day from the week of February 24 to March 2. You can purchase your tickets from Link

#10 of 52 OFFLINE   Eric_R.

Eric_R.

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted February 04 2006 - 06:39 AM

Wow now that is cool. Wish I was closer to NYC to see some of those.

#11 of 52 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted February 14 2006 - 12:15 AM

I'm definitely going to see BEN-HUR, but I'm wondering how difficult it may be to purchase a ticket the actual day of the show. I wouldn't think it'd be that much of a problem.

#12 of 52 OFFLINE   Erik_H

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 129 posts

Posted February 14 2006 - 12:49 AM

A word of advice and warning to potential ticketbuyers to the Ziegfeld series.

The quality of the prints varies widely. I understand from posters at Cinema Treasures that the "West Side Story" 35MM print was in great shape, but the "My Fair Lady" 35MM print being screened this week is atrocious. I attended the Friday night screening of "MFL"---the Ziegfeld was far from full---and left after an hour (and I wasn't the first to walk out). Numerous scratches, faded colors throughout, tinny sound and one of the early reels had consistent audio interference that sounded like static.

A representative of Clearview has been monitoring comments to the Ziegfeld series on Cinema Treasures and several days ago posted a note on the Ziegfeld board stating that the company is doing what it can to obtain quality prints.

#13 of 52 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted February 14 2006 - 12:55 AM

In the case of BEN-HUR, I've never seen it on the big screen, so that's my main interest. I'd like as pristine a print as possible, naturally, but it's the grand cinema treatment I'm mainly going for.

#14 of 52 OFFLINE   TomTom

TomTom

Agent

• 41 posts

Posted February 19 2006 - 04:45 PM

More titles added.

"Most Requested Films Week" - March 10 - 16th:
Singin in the Rain
Doctor Zhivago
North By Northwest

"Out of this World Week" - March 17 - 23rd:
2001- A Space Odyssey
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Alien

"Lawrence of Arabia" in 70MM - March 24th - March 30th

#15 of 52 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,303 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 19 2006 - 05:53 PM

Makes me wish I were in NYC... almost.

Since living in Boston, I've been disappointed how limited the opportunities for classic movies are.

#16 of 52 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted February 19 2006 - 11:55 PM

That's surprising, there are a few on this forum who screen more indie and foreign flicks than Jason Seaver (he lives in Boston), and those are typical venues for classic revivals.

--
H

#17 of 52 OFFLINE   SteveJKo

SteveJKo

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted February 20 2006 - 02:09 AM

Since living in Boston, I've been disappointed how limited the opportunities for classic movies are.

Adam, is there no more big screen classics at the Wang Center (the former Loew's Metropolitan)? Boston would be an hour and a half drive for me, but still a LOT closer than NYC. And while the Zeigfeld is a lovely late '60's cinema, the Wang Center is a true 1925 movie palace.
You're In The Show With Todd-AO!

#18 of 52 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,303 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 20 2006 - 07:35 AM

I haven't been there, but I'm pretty sure the Wang Center is mostly stage performance now. The Brattle has some good classic picks, but they're constantly on the brink of closure. Until the merger with AMC, Loews Boston Common used to have free Thursday night screenings of "Fan Favorites" which varied widely from classics ("The Exorcist" - my first time on the big screen) to the dreadful (I think the world was ready to forget about "All I Want for Christmas"). But it was always a good time.

I did get to see "The Battle of Algiers" from the balcony of the Majestic Theater and that was pretty amazing.

One of my favorite theaters, though a second-run theater rather than a showcase for classics, is the Somerville Theatre right off the red line. At $6.50 evenings, it is without a doubt the best bargain in Boston.

#19 of 52 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,627 posts

Posted February 20 2006 - 09:31 AM

Anyone going to see Ben-Hur should be advised that the Ziegfeld staff has removed the intermission sequence from the film. They didn't schedule enough time between shows, so they decided the easiest way to deal with it was to muck around with the intended presentation. Posted Image
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#20 of 52 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted February 20 2006 - 09:45 AM

I just came from BEN-HUR and didn't mind the intermission missing when taking into account that I consider this The Greatest Film Of All Time and it's my very first time ever getting to see it on a big screen, period! Posted Image An intermission would have been nice, but beggars can't be choosers. My emotions are still flowing after a wonderful experience which I've wanted to have for many years now.

Once again I have to scratch my head and shake it at the same time when I hear movie fans say they don't think much of the theatrical experience. This is the way movies were meant to be seen. Posted Image