-

Photo

Warner Unveils Aggressive Catalog Initiative for 2006

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
302 replies to this topic

#1 of 303 NeilM

NeilM

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted January 30 2006 - 06:45 PM

These incredible news were posted on Video Store Mag website!

I hope no one has posted this yet!

Warner Unveils Aggressive Catalog Initiative for 2006
Author: Thomas K. Arnold
Posted: January 31, 2006

Last fall's lavish The Wizard of Oz and King Kong DVD gift sets was only the beginning. After years of watching other studios blow out their libraries at a rapid clip, Warner Home Video this year is preparing a major catalog initiative that will see a record 200-plus titles hit the market, the vast majority appearing on DVD for the first time.

Classics also factor in Warner's plans for HD DVD, the first of two rival next-generation formats to come to market. They will arrive on high-def the same day Warner bows special-edition DVDs. Titles include The Maltese Falcon and The Forbidden Planet.

Warner's classic release slate also includes 52 collections, including Clark Gable and Humphrey Bogart “signature collection” sets and a lavish 14-disc “Superman” set that features the famed “Richard Donner” cut of Superman II, up to 40% longer than the theatrical version. Donner was fired 70% into the shoot, and much of what he filmed has been locked away in the vaults. Newly restored footage includes an alternate opening in which Lois Lane suspects Clark Kent is the Man of Steel and then almost dies trying to prove it.

http://www.videostoremag.com

Post Edited By Administrator. Please, don't post copyrighted material in their entirety.

#2 of 303 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted January 30 2006 - 07:06 PM

Grand Prix; great to see that's coming.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#3 of 303 Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted January 30 2006 - 08:48 PM

Quote:
the 1962 Marlon Brando version of Mutiny on the Bounty
Yay! More Ultra Panavision goodness :-)

#4 of 303 Will*B

Will*B

Second Unit

• 467 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted January 30 2006 - 09:15 PM

a lavish 14-disc “Superman” set

Wow! That's even going to beat 'Alien' and 'The Matrix' for crazy amounts of shelf-space.

#5 of 303 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts

Posted January 30 2006 - 09:26 PM

...but 52 collections; I'm going to have to rent some storage space Posted Image
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#6 of 303 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted January 30 2006 - 09:38 PM

Quote:
?The fact that unit sales were up speaks to the fact that consumers still have a robust appetite for catalog movies,? Baker said.

shame Paramount doesn't share the same analysts.

looking forward to Mutiny on the Bounty, and hopefully it will be one of the day and date HD classic releases besides Forbidden Planet and Falcon.

#7 of 303 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,531 posts

Posted January 30 2006 - 09:43 PM

You mean to tell me Warner is going to win
for BEST STUDIO for the third time in
a row? Sheeeeesh! Posted Image

Oh...keep February 21st open on your calendar.
You may get to personally chat with the folks
from Warner Brothers that evening.

(PS: Don't post questions on this forum, please)

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#8 of 303 ChristianLiemke

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted January 30 2006 - 10:49 PM

I hope that Warner USA will take more care for their backcatalog titles as it is the case in Germany. In January they started a new collection called "Endlich auf DVD" (Finally on DVD) with more than 100 titles to be released until December. We got "The Three Musketeers" with Gene Kelly, not available in the USA, and titles like "Ivanhoe" and "Kings of the Round Table" that spot nice transfers in the US. That's not the case with the German DVDs because they were mastered from old analog masters, partly showing the old "Turner" and "MGM/UA Home Video" logos before the movie.

Other titles doesn't even have the original audio tracks or subtitles, some are cropped from 2.35:1 to 1.33:1 or feature non-anamorphic widescreen transfers, chapter selections are missing. Call them "VHS-DVDs"!!!

Warner Bros. is risking their good reputation over here.

#9 of 303 Richard Matich

Richard Matich

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted January 30 2006 - 10:50 PM

Does this mean that I have to have a High Defanition dvd player to be able to view the Maltese Falcon SE??? If so 2006 will be not so good. Any chance of a SD edition of this title?

#10 of 303 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts

Posted January 30 2006 - 10:55 PM

I read it that Warners will produce High Def versions at the same time that they produce DVD SEs of Forbidden Planet and The Maltese Falcon.
Film Journal Blog

#11 of 303 Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 952 posts

Posted January 30 2006 - 11:26 PM

Quote:
a lavish 14-disc “Superman” set that features the famed “Richard Donner” cut of Superman II, up to 40% longer than the theatrical version. Donner was fired 70% into the shoot, and much of what he filmed has been locked away in the vaults. Newly restored footage includes an alternate opening in which Lois Lane suspects Clark Kent is the Man of Steel and then almost dies trying to prove it.

Posted Image

Wow, that's more than two discs per movie even if they include Supergirl and give both versions of Superman II the two disc treatment each.

Another great year for Warner Brothers I think, looking forward to the Gangster Collection Volume 2 and I'm hoping they'll release a James Cagney set at some point.

#12 of 303 Leroy Williams

Leroy Williams

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 12:05 AM

I hope Warner Bros. release more "blaxploitation films". If Warners reading, here is the list.

Black Belt Jones
Black Samson
Comeback Charleston Blue
Three The Hardway
Black Eye
Sweet Jesus Preacher Man
Cool Breeze
Hit Man (71)
Tick..Tick..Tick
The Learning Tree

#13 of 303 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 12:06 AM

shame Paramount doesn't share the same analysts.

Amen to that! They have some great classics in their catalog and are releasing them at a snail's pace.Posted Image ...and while Universal has released a lot of catalog films, they generally don't get the treatment that they deserve.

Oh...keep February 21st open on your calendar.
You may get to personally chat with the folks
from Warner Brothers that evening.

Great News Ron! I love the chat every year and appreciate every thing that you guys do to make it happen. I do ask this though, please do whatever you can to get some animation people at the chat. If not then make sure it's clear at the beginning so that no questions are wasted. Personally, I would still like to hear an explanation for the butchering of Tom & Jerry.

#14 of 303 Tim_C

Tim_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 01:50 AM

I hope this initiative includes finally getting some of their silent masterpieces out on DVD, namely "The Crowd," "The Big Parade," "The Wind," and "Greed" (among others.)

Anyways, great news, I'm already excited for several of the titles listed, like the "Superman" set and "Grand Prix."

On the other hand, I'm pretty certain that my wallet is not too appreciative.

Phone rings,
Door chimes,
In comes
Company!

#15 of 303 Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 849 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 01:51 AM

Great News!!!! I can't wait to see which titles are coming!!
Ken

#16 of 303 soop.spoon

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 02:10 AM

I only have 3 Warner titles left on my "must have" wishlist:

Atlantis, The Lost Continent
O Lucky Man!
Captain Nemo And The Underwater City

Even with 200+ titles coming out, I'd say my chances are still pretty thin Posted Image

#17 of 303 Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 03:34 AM

Quote:
Warner Bros. is risking their good reputation over here.
In the past Warner in Australia have made some poor decisions, such as releasing DVDs in NTSC, rather than PAL format.

Also, there pricing structure is quite poor. They charge a lot more for films, and frequently release boxes in Australia that omit films present in the R1 releases, even though Warner own the distribution rights to the films locally.

#18 of 303 FrancisP

FrancisP

Screenwriter

• 1,108 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 03:53 AM

I do disagree that studios have burned through their titles. There are plenty of titles that have not been released because the studios have decided not to release them.

I think the statitics for Warner films on dvd and home video are pretty indicative of the industry.

Quote:
Of the 6,600 theatrical films in Warner's library, just 1,200 have been released on DVD, compared to 3,100 on VHS.

Figure this, if you put 150 out a year, it would take approximately 12 years to get up to where VHS was alone. It will be interesting to see how many are new to home video.

Off the top of my head, my Warner candidates would be:

Boys' Night Out
Marlowe
Live A little, Love a Little
36 Hours
House of Dark Shadows
Night of Dark Shadows(extended version)

However, I'm not holding my breath for these. Apparently they think they can sell giant bunny wabbits but not vampires and witches. Also hope they aren't listening to the TCM poll. Of the top 10, I have no interest in any of them.

#19 of 303 Beast

Beast

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 04:04 AM

Only one word fits that Superman set...

'Drooltastic'. Posted Image
R.I.P. Master Splinter - Mirage Comics - May 1984 / June 2003

#20 of 303 Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 04:12 AM

Anyone have any hints about the Pre-Production Code FORBIDDEN HOLLYWOOD SET (other than BABY FACE)? LETTY LYNDON (with an audio commentary about the complicated legal reasons about why it hasn't been seen since 1940?
Charles Hoyt

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow