What's new

who is Howard Stern and what does he do on the radio? (1 Viewer)

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
If it wasn't for Private Parts we here in Canada would have Absolutely No idea who or what Howard Stern is.., (Oh yeah he was on Larry King recently with a few video pieces..)
Point is,, His show has never been on Canadian airwaves as syndicated, as the Dr Laura Show is, and some others.

So now he is on satellite radio and he is till isn't good enough or popular enough for his show to be legally broadcast in this country... Ha !

Who is this guy what does he do on show,, Does he play music? is he a talk show host? ... .Both ????

I want to know why his people have refused to even try and bring his show to Canada? it can't be because of the language, because in the last few years I have seen out local TV shows run movies uncut and unedited for language in the 9 pm field.., so that rules out the CRTC..

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
The Canadian government censor's what you hear in Canada. That's why you will never hear him up there legally. He is defiantely the most popular talk show host down here. He had ~18mil listeners before moving to satellite radio so to say he isn't good enough or poular enough is bull. The Canadian government is so scared of Howard and what he migh say and it is his language and humor that they banned. They will never let him be broadcast in Canada ever again. He used to broadcast in Canada over free radio until they fined him and banned him from the air waves a few years ago.

Brent T

Second Unit
Sterny was being broadcast in Toronto several years back but once again your government figured its people couldnt be allowed to hear such words as dooty, dickus, pussy and dick.

Go get yourself a Sirius unit in the states and find out about Stern for yourself. He may or may not be to your liking.

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
I believe you are right>> what surprises the hell out of me considering the famous wardrobe malfunction episode at the Superdome two years ago< is the fact that the united states allows his humor on the airwaves

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Actually, the "wardrobe malfunction" was the straw that broke the camel's back and made Stern absolutely refuse to resign his terrestrial radio contract and jump to satellite. The FCC had been fining him for years, but after the Superbowl, they actually started going back and fining him for things they freely allowed in the past, but now were considered visolations. Unlike Canada, our FCC censors only control non-pay services, i.e over the air radio and TV. Satellite radio and TV and cable are not regulated by the government (although there is talk that this will change, we have a little thing called the Constitution that they have to get around first).

Edited for spelling and accuracy.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
There are certain legislators who'd like to chip away at our constitutional first amendment rights, and foremost is a creepy little schnook by the name of Ted Stevens, R-Alaska. He's considered a joke by most, and unfortunately dismissed by many. He is, in fact a Harvard educated attorney, Chairman of the very powerful Commerce Committee, and third in the line of succession to the presidency. That's right folks. When Bush strokes out from a particularly difficult JUMBLE, and Cheney's heart fails him for the last time... it's time to stand up and salute President Ted Stevens!

Which brings me to my proposal for our brothers up in the Great White North... would you care to take off our hands the state of Alaska, as well as it's publicly elected representatives and potentially large oil reserves to become a permanent part of your great country? (Ahem... I understand there's oil there.) Given that Canada already has severe censorship policies restricting broadcast content, he really couldn't hurt you in any particular way. Whaddaya say? You get Ted Stevens, the great state of Alaska, some potentially large oil reserves... and in return we ask only that you let us wear your nation's flag on our backpacks as we travel through Europe. Deal?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Actually, you missed one. It is Pres. VP, Speaker of the House (Hastert), then President Pro Tempore of the Senate (Stevens).

Rob T

Screenwriter
I've been a fan since late 99/early 00. I love my US Sirius unit and I got a car kit and portable unit coming for it. :emoji_thumbsup:

peter_van

Grip
I'm a canadian who has been listening/watching stern for years. Used to get E! on directtv about a decade ago, Q107 for a bit in toronto, then 93.7 out of buffalo for the last couple years which reaches canada.

I have 3 Sirius recievers, two US and one CDN now. The CDN one doesn't get use. Anyone know if you can somehow get the US lineup on a CDN Sirius One?

P

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

No, they are hard wired for what Sirius sends on the Canadian feed, which is partially regulated by your officials. However, I believe talks are underway for Stern to be on Sirius Canada. According to what I heard this morning (granted through a haze of sleep), it may already be finalized. So hopefully once again, our neighbors to the north can hear Howard say "The French will bow down to me like they did to Hitler back in WWII", just as he did at the Montreal station launch in '98. I guess that's progress, eh? ;)

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
They just announced that the Canadian Sirius channels will include Howard Stern as of Monday February 6th.

Steve Blair

Second Unit
Yep, big announcement on this today. STERN IN CANADA! Congrats as I know ALOT of canadians were giving fake US addresses so they could listen to Stern before this...

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
..Should have pointed out from my earliest thread/posting,, :

His show has never been on Canadian airwaves as syndicated, as the Dr Laura Show is, and some others.
What I meant was his show has never been 'beamed' outside of Toronto /Montreal,, for the western part of our hemisphere. ( BC )
But glad to see that Sirius will be picking up and broadcasting next week, .

By the way for all you American readers,, do you or have you had the honor of watching out little bit of Canadiana media in the USA called Trailer Park Boys ?? unedited ?

We have had that show on Showcase now in Canada for close to 4 years ,,or whatever the time has been the series has been on the air. The reason why the CRTC turns a blind eye and eye to the all the swearing and Marijuana situation/jokes is because Not one of the characters on that show calls anyone a racial slur,, .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks