-

Photo
- - - - -

Restored "South Pacific" screens in LA 1/30/06

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Ken Horowitz

Ken Horowitz

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted January 30 2006 - 03:54 AM

Any HTF members in LA able to attend and report back to us?

The restored "South Pacific" will screen at The Entertainment
Technology Center at USC's Digital Cinema Laboratory on Monday,
January 30, 2006 at 7:00 PM at the Lab's historic Pacific Theater

The screening will be followed by a Q&A with a panel including Schawn
Belston, VP, Film Preservation and Asset Management, 20th Century
Fox; and from FotoKem, Paul Chapman, VP of Technology; and Andrew
Oran, VP of Sales & Operations, Large Format.

You need to sign up but it is free.

http://www.etcenter.org/Seminars.asp

Press Release: http://www.etcenter....cific_final.pdf
outlines the process used by FotoKem to use the AB original negatives
along with the YCM separation masters, and a 50-year old road show
print found in England to restore the film.

#2 of 7 Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted January 30 2006 - 05:34 PM

Ken,

Thanks for your post. I didn't hear anything about this print so I was happy to find out about it. I got to see the film tonight and it looked great. Should make an outstanding DVD.

#3 of 7 Ken Horowitz

Ken Horowitz

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted February 02 2006 - 05:40 AM

Following is a posting from an e-mail list about the screening and restoration:
Quote:
An attendee reports that the projector was a Christie CP200 using Texas DLP (2048x1080chip).

The message below is from Paul Chapman of FotoKem, which did the work.
--------------

Date: January 31, 2006 9:15:31 PM PST
To: Telecine Internet Group
Cc: Subject: [Tig] Digital Cinema Screening of South Pacific from the 65 mm Negative

--
Hi all,

As the one who had the idea to screen South Pacific Monday night, and also having been very involved in the project I can add a few details to some of the comments I've seen go by.

The most important point to remember is that the D5 tape shown was made to be used as a DVD master. As such there are various issues that make it not ideal for Digital Projection, but overall I think it worked. It was color-corrected on a monitor, and the audio was a 5.0 track for the DVD (no Lfe). Given more time, money etc it could have been better.

Strictly speaking what we did was a photo-chemical PRESERVATION followed by a digital RESTORATION. In some places a 'C' roll was made and cut in to the original A/B when the new IP was made. This was when the original A/B neg
was deemed too badly damaged. Mostly the 'C' roll was a recombination (optical) of the separations made in 1958. No digital negatives were made.

"Down-rez" - Yes it was down-rezzed (is that a word?) from the 4K scans of the new wet-gate IP we made. Yes it certainly lost information from the 4K. But you can't beat oversampling. I would argue, from personal experience having compared 4K downsampled to HD against 2K to HD, that the 4K oversampling is well worthwhile if you can do it. Starting with a large format film makes it even better (even with 1958 film stock). And yes we could have done it at 8K (our scanner can do it) but I doubt it would have made much difference to the DVD.

Color Filters. What Schawn Belston (Fox) explained last night was that the manufacturer of the original in-camera filters made new ones from the original data. These were very helpful as all of the available reference prints were faded. The filters were used by the colorist & lab timer
during the restoration.

Press release - Cinemascope dates. Yes this was a mistake caused by a misunderstanding between our PR person and the author of the release, and and we all missed it. Sorry.

I hope you enjoyed it if you were there, sorry if you missed it.

Paul Chapman
FotoKem

#4 of 7 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,168 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted February 02 2006 - 07:24 AM

So, are they actually going to output the final restored/reconstructed version on film, or not?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#5 of 7 Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted February 02 2006 - 01:48 PM

The upcoming DVD is supposed to have both versions of the film on 2 discs. They did annoucned the long version would be available on DVD (14 extra mintues)

I was at the screening and the film looked very good, (The DVD should look great) but I did get the feeling the colors were oversaturated, especially when all the sailors appeared to have brown skin.

The color filters weren't so bad, and at only one point (the song "Bali Hi") did they become distracting - the whole image went purple and the picture was soft. Otherwise it looked pretty good, the only way I would think it could look better is if FOX prepares a Todd-AO print (Everything looks better in Todd-AO)

#6 of 7 Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 849 posts

Posted February 03 2006 - 11:24 AM

Except OKLAHOMA on DVD.
Ken

#7 of 7 Brian Sharp

Brian Sharp

Stunt Coordinator

• 225 posts
  • LocationRobin Hood Country

Posted March 11 2006 - 09:14 PM

Saw the screening of "South Pacific" in Bradford last night; yes, picture may have been a little soft at times but nice to see it restored to its 70mm ToddAO glory. Took some of the family with me and they were amazed at the quality of the sound and picture for a 48 year old film.One regret that it was the shorter version but gives me hope for the dvd coming out shortly.