What's new

Gillette Fusion (1 Viewer)

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
Honestly I didn't think they would be able to create a 5 blade razor, but here it is.

Gillette Fusion

I saw this razor at the local Target and Cub stores. They have both a non powered version and then one that is powered.

I've been very happy with the products the Gillette has been putting out the last few years. I'll be picking one up.

Paul

CRyan

Screenwriter
Just reminds me of a SNL skit about 6 years ago when they introduced the 3 blade versions. It was a guy shaving with a razor with like 20 blades on it and he was all bloody from triyng to shave with it.

Pretty funny.

I really dont care about the number of blades, I just want to be able to easily wash out the stuble. The latest 4 blade version from Schick is useless - can't clean it out and feels like crap after only one shave!

Oh and I just read that the blades are 30% closer for this one. No way your gonna be able to flush this thing clean.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I recently switched back to a Sensor from the Mach 3 Turbo and was shocked at how much better the Sensor is (at least to my face). Easier to reach the nooks and crannies and much easier to rinse out. Plus, it has been scientifically proven that the "powered" versions don't give a closer shave. (Schick sued Gilette and got them to stop advertising such.)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

Agreed, it truly is a pain in the ass to clean the Schick out and the blades seem to wear out quicker than other razors.....thinner metal I assume?

I still like the Mach 3 though.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I have no problem rinsing out my Quattro. But I shave in the shower, so maybe the spray from the nozzle helps to shake the stubble loose.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
If I'm not mistaken, SNL did a skit/mock commercial in the 70s or 80s, where a razor had 3 blades, and the announcer's tagline proclaimed: "...because you'll buy anything!"

Really, even 3 blades seems silly. The only reason I get the Mach 3 Turbo is because the gel strip feels better on my face.

I bought a mach3 when they first came out, previously using the 2 blade disposable bics. Yes the mach3 is much better but the problem is they go blunt very quickly and washing out stubble is a nightmare.

So I returned to the disposable bics which I was astounded by how much closer I shave I was missing (on a daily basis) and at much less the cost.

A mach3 blade provides 3 decent shaves for me and then it has to be replaced. bics are new each time.

Then the m3power came out with the vibrator, I got that as a present and so I tried it out, its sh*t. it mades shaving /harder/ and I feel it at the sensitive areas such as trying to shave my mustache afer 3-4 days of no shaving.

All in all, Bic all the way :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I use the mach 3 when I shave. the idea of any more blades kinda scares the sh*t out of me. The Mach 3 is about the only razor that doesn't shred my face (baby faced that I am), but the idea of more blades just seems like russian roulette

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I saw a 4 pack of Fusion blades at a local Brooks Pharmacy priced to sell at $14.49. I thought $8 for Mach 3s was bad.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

two reasons:

1. Both types of electric razors I tried (Remington foil, Philishave) both left my face pink and raw, even with using different types of aftershave (which made me break out)

2. Too forgetful to shave everyday, which causes the 2 above razors to yank out the longer hairs.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
So in a fit of consumer whorism, I decided to pick one of these up to [possibly] replace my old Mach3 Turbo. Not only that, but I went in full bore for the POWAR version and the new Fusion branded shaving cream (what can I say, I ran out of shaving cream that morning and needed more anyway).

The first thing you notice is this sucker is big. The plastic base to hold the razor is a somewhat longer and wider than the Mach3, but most noticeably is far taller. Why? No idea. The razor itself is bulkier than the comparably svelte Mach3, but isn't uncomfortable to hold. Where you most notice the difference though is the moment You put it to your face. Despite the tighter spacing on the blades, the face of the razor is still quite a bit bigger and feels massive. Not bad massive, just different massive. The second thing you notice is that Gillette cheaped out and only included the one blade on the razor (Mach3s came with one additional cartridge). It does include a coupon for $2 off your first set of cartridges, but given that they're charging $13 for a four pack it's still pretty vicious. The third thing you notice is that's a different connector between the handle and the blade, so your old Mach3 handle is incompatible. GG Gillette. The Fusion shaving cream has a nice citrus scent to it and certainly works well enough, but doesn't seem much different than any other gel cream.

As for the shave, that's the bitch of it. I was perfectly happy with my Mach3 despite the high cost of the blades, but this is much, much better. I could almost achieve the coveted "baby's ass" shave with the Mach3, Turbo, but it took quite a while and shaving in quite a few different directions, and it was never quite perfect. While I looked totally clean shaven, rubbing my face could quickly reveal some patches of very short stubble. Nothing remotely visible, but it was certainly there. The Fusion, however, matches the best shave I could ever get with the Mach3 in literally less than half the time. No patches, nada. A quick shave with the Mach3 looked great but didn't feel good. Moving even faster with the Fusion and my face is totally smooth. So much so that it felt strange at first when I was in the shower and didn't feel any stubble while cleaning my face.

The other aspect that I find myself using far more than I expected is the +1 blade. Given the broad face of the blade and the fact that it bends to align with the contours of your face, it's mediocre for trimming sideburns and downright crappy for any other facial hair. The extra blade is oriented against the hinge and runs by itself across the top, and so bypasses both these problems. This makes it perfect for anything that needs more precision than the broad strokes of a normal shave. I keep my sideburns trimmed pretty close and am currently growing back my goatee, and while I could work with both with the old Mach3, the +1 blade is a much better and more accurate solution.

As for the Power features, the vibration is stronger than I expected and somewhat disturbing at first, but stopped being an issue by the second time I used it. It also helps keep stubble from clogging things up. Despite the fact that the blades are spaced substantially tighter than on the standard Mach3, I have less trouble rinsing this one out.

I haven't owned it long enough to make a call on blade life, but I'll update this once I find out. Assuming there's interest in me doing so of course.

So is it worth it? Tough call. The Fusion is a good bit more expensive than the already pricey Mach3 Turbo, with the blades currently selling at just over $3 a cartridge, a jump of about $1 over the Mach3. However, for someone like me who could get a good but not perfect shave out of the Mach3 no matter how long I worked at it, being able to get one out of the Fusion in less time than it took for even a quick shave before unfortunately means that I'm hooked. If I hadn't used this I would certainly have been fine with my old Mach3, but now that I've seen how much better I can do it would be hard to go back. Damn.

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry Almeida

Well you obviously work for Gillette. :D

Curse you! Now I'll have to give it a try. I better look for some coupons.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I have to say this about the Gillette Fusion: no thanks.

Here's the problem: the blades don't follow the contour of your face. Schick's Xtreme 3 hand shaver has its blades "flex" slightly to better follow facial contours, so shaving "against the grain" (like I do on my chin) works extremely well and very cleanly, too. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks