What's new

Jurassic Park 4...what in the heck are they thinking? (1 Viewer)

DanR

Supporting Actor
Has anyone else seen this report over at Aint It Cool News?

www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=22323[/url]

And check out this picture linked in the article:
uplink.space.com/attachments/262001-troodon1.jpg[/url]

WHAT IN THE HELL? This is possibly THE most ridiculous thing I have ever heard related to a movie sequel. So now what? We're going to have "dinosaur people" eating/chasing/terrorizing humans?

I hope they just forget JP4 as this will taint a series that is already sliding down the hill with each new film.

Regards,
Dan

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
That's the general rule with sequels; the original is the benchmark, two is normally pretty good, as well, then if they're smart--which they're usually not--they stop after that.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
There's no real reason to ever make another "Jurassic Park" movie but if they insist, they just need to crash a plane or a boat full of people onto Site B and have another 90-120 minutes of people getting eaten by dinosaurs. I know it's not original at all but it's entertaining, and this "Dino-people" concept has been making the rounds for a few years and nobody seems to like it. They just need to stick with what works. I think people hold the first film to a ridiculously high standard and they unfairly bash the sequels but in my eyes, they're all roughly the same quality-wise. All you need is Stan Winston & ILM doing the effects and a capable director like Joe Johnston (obviously, Spielberg is fully capable but his talents went to waste on the first two) and some terrific actors (which this series has always been filled with) and the script would practically write itself.

StephenA

Screenwriter
That dino people thing is just a little too far fetched for me if it is true. I wasn't that crazy about part 3, and I don't know if I'd see part 4. I liked the first 2 a lot though.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Do the Dinosaur people still have guns? That was a major part of the script when written by John Sayles, genetically engineered dinosaur soldiers.

I'm not making this up.

I'm not that retarded.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

Oh I know you're not. There was that script review a while back where the dinosaurs were used for military purposes. If I can remember, it got such a huge backlash that the script was ultimately rejected and explains why there's been such a long delay in the making of the fourth film. The original release date was supposed to be 2005 if I can remember. 4 years between each film.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Wasn't the story for part 4 straight from Spielberg? He kept saying in interviews how he had an awesome idea for the fourth film.

DanR

Supporting Actor
Weird, the links I posted don't work anymore. But if you go to Aint It Cool you can still see it, and the links are the same.

I saw someone mentioned above that early scripts had these Dinosaur "people" running around with guns as part of an amry. OH!! MY!!! GOD!!! Words escape me to even comment on how absolutely CRAPTACULAR that sounds. What director or actors would even take on a project like this? Would have to be a career killer. Imagine the director saying to the actor: "No, you see, there's going to be these 'dinosaur people' running around with guns over there attacking you."

I'm in utter amazement at this "idea". They had to be passing around the bong or 'shrooms when they came up with this nonsense.

Heck, the only way, in my humble opinion, this "idea" could possibly be entertaining would be if they had a "dino-people" SWAT team attack the Playboy mansion during Hug Hefner's annual Halloween party. Imagine hysterical half-naked Playboy bunnies running around with dino-people chasing them. Then Hugh goes under his bed and pulls out the big gun ala Tony Montana in Scarface. Now THAT I would pay $9.50 to watch. :D

Regards,
Dan

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I don't know, but I suspect it may be because you don't have the "http" in the links.

If these rumours are true about JP4, then I just don't know wha is going on with this property. I actually thought, if you take the talking raptors out (because that was a dumb idea) JP3 was actually pretty entertaining, with some pretty exciting scenes - we finally got to see the aviary that was in the original book, for a start. It wasn't groundbreaking, but it had people being chased by dinosaurs and didn't try to be about anything out.

But dinosaur soldiers? How do people think this is a good idea? Especially someone of the calibre of Speilberg. And how on earth does someone like John Sayles write this material? All I can think (hope) is that it's some kind of huge misinformation campaign to keep the really good idea secret - except that's not going to happen, since they're basically killing all interest in the property.

Unless the ideas improve markedly, they should just let the series fade into extinction.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
That "Troodon" maquette is a prop that was made for a dinosaur documentary that aired on the Discovery Channel YEARS AGO. It was most certainly not created by anyone working on pre-production for Jurassic Park IV. The whole thing smells like fish to me.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
*sigh*

And of course the first paragraph of the actual write up includes:

No one is pretending it is pre-production art from JP4 in the first place.

DanR

Supporting Actor
Doug,

I think people understand that Troodon is not official JP4 artwork or anything. The "idea" is so ridiculous that the author posted the only thing "close enough" to create a visual.

Regardless of what the final design is, I still cannot fathom why they would even pursue a "human-dino" cross breed as the centerpiece for a film. It's just so whacky.

I mean, I'm literally sitting here with this picture in my mind of a "human-like raptor" running 60MPH carrying/shooting a machine gun whilst chasing down Cocaine manufacturers in South America. It's just so "out there".

And the fact that James Horner has confirmed this humanlike dinosaur is the core of the next movie is REALLY scary. Hollywood can't figure out why Box Office revenue is dropping?

Regards,
Dan

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I thought they did this movie already. It was called Alien : Resurretion.

I agree with Bill, you can't go wrong with dinosaurs chasing people. JP3 was a fun movie. JP4 should follow the mold. If not, return to the (somewhat) more cerebral stylings of the original.

What I don't understand about number 2 was why it deviated so much from the book. Crichton obviously wrote the sequel to become a movie, including some fantastic chameleon dinos. I was looking forward to seeing ILM realize the complex chameleons, and was stunned that something so strongly visual was cut from the movie concept.

Rudi

Stunt Coordinator
What I want to see in JP4 is what was really never done in the first three. You saw the hunter with a shotgun in the first one do nothing. In the second one you see abunch of yahoos with 16s and HKs get torn up. In the third a 20mm AT rifle that does nothing. I want to see the humans give some back. Have a raptor attack where some 7.62 and 5.56 rips a few of them down. Have a T Rex tear apart a group of people while its getting torn apart by MG3s and M203s. Maybe even a LeopardII going against the BigMFosaurus. Apaches and pterosaurs. I want to see gunfight at the JP corral.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Imagine in 1932 or so, Cooper saying to Fay, "There's this big giant monkey and he's got the hots for you. He's going to carry you up to the top of the Empire State Building.":rolleyes

DanR

Supporting Actor
Oh please. If you wanna bring King Kong into it, the analogy would be audiences & actors believing something thought not to exist actually does exist on an island. We've already accepted that in the first three Jurassic Park films and in King Kong. So your analogy would be more appropriate to the direction given to Sam Neill, Laura Dern, etc during the filming of the first JP (i.e. imagine there's dinosaurs on this island = imagine a giant ape on this island).

And King Kong, as an ape, is closer to humans and can emote more like a human. So it is infinitely more believable than raptors as part of a secret army unit running around with guns.

Give me a break.

Regards,
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks