What's new

DVD Marquee - The Debut Feedback (1 Viewer)

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everyone. I'm one of the hosts of the new HTF Radio show THE DVD MARQUEE and I'd like to get your feedback so we can improve the show.

I know one of the main concerns will be the length of the show. We don't intend for the next show to be quite as long. Our plan is to keep it around the 30 minute mark.

If you have any question or feedback this is a good place to post them.

Dave Gilbert

Second Unit
I haven't listened to it yet (planning to on the commute home tonight), but I have still two suggestions:

1. Add an RSS feed so I can subscribe with my podcatching app.
2. Fill out the ID3 tags on the file so that it doesn't show up on my iRiver with Unknown Artist, Unknown Album, etc.
2b. Set the genre to Podcast. It's easier to keep track of all my podcasts this way.

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Dave. I will add the ID3 tags to the file tonight and re-upload it. I completely forgot about those.

The RSS feed is coming. I hope to have it ready over the weekend. If not I will type it up by hand.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed it and am looking forward to further editions (but one of you guys needs to brush up on older films!). Any hints as to what's on future installments?

ZackR

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed it. Great work - especially for your debut episode. I also like the scores playing over the various reviews. The ID3 and RSS will be nice. :) Also, I have NO problem with it if they are the sam length in the future. I listen to podcasts a lot at work and length is not a problem...especially if it is quality material I am listening to.

Keep up the good work. :)

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
In our upcoming episode you expect to hear about some of the more prominent titles from January. There will be also some early details/previews for two Disney titles coming out later this year.

Jeffrey will not be involved with the upcoming show as he lost his brother unexpectedly on Friday morning.

Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family during this difficult time.

Ric, you're right I do need to brush up on my classics. I'm working on it, but it's going to take some time. It's something I've been working towards since I started EyeCraveDVD. Because of my age I was never really into older films until I started receiving some for review.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Just had a listen and it's a great start! I just want to say that you are both excellent speakers. Myself and four others have been doing a video game podcast since September and I have a couple of suggestions pertaining to the actual quality of the show:

1. If you're using a cheap headset mic, so may want to think about upgrading to a better mic (similar to the Shure SM-58). You certainly don't need to spend that much money, but a similar mic would help. Also investing in a pop filter, a mesh screen that is placed in front of the mic, will virtually eliminate pops from 'P's and 'B's.

EDIT: I should probably amend this slightly to say that instead of purchasing a new mic, you can just make sure that the mic is off to the side of your mouth as opposed to directly in front. This cuts down dramatically on annoying pops.

2. We use Skype to communicate (since we're all over the place), and the results are great. The voice quality between just two people is especially outstanding. Quality takes a slight hit with more participants but is still quite good. If you have a way to record everyone speaking to a sound file, you'll be very pleased with the results.

3. I noticed that the MP3 is sampled at 128kbps/44.1 KHz/stereo. Unless you're really, really set on keeping the music in stereo, you can certainly get away with 64-80kbps/44.1 KHz/mono. There will be virtually no noticable loss in quality, and the filesize will be approximately 50% of this one - a big bandwidth saver and people can get it quicker.

EDIT: I just did a test with this and got the filesize down to 25Mb from 44Mb.

Great job again guys. I'm happy to offer any more help that I can. ;)

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy thanks for the tips.

For our first outing Jeffrey was the only with a mic and he called me through a program similar to skype, I can't recall the name, and recorded the conversation. I was speaking into a phone handset.

That will no longer occur as I just purchased a mixer and mic from Behringer (EuroTrack UB 1002, C-1).

Never really thought of mono. I'll have to toy with it and see how it turns out.

Thanks again. I appreciate your feedback. The next episode should be ready tomorrow barring any more unforseen issues. My soundcard decided it would stop working this afternoon right when I was about to start recording it... aaaargh! Before heading to work I picked up a new one and installed it and it works. So, ya... enough about that :D

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I enjoyed it quite a bit. Frankly I could easily listen to a hour show no problem and would prefer it. I know its a lot of work but often times the 30 minute limit that many podcasters want to follow often proves too limiting.

Go with the flow - if one show ends up 45 minutes and the next 22 - so be it.

Looking forward to the next episode.

BTW Shane are you looking for anyr reviewers for your site at the moment?

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
I also use a Behringer mixer and I love it - it's perfect for doing these. Looking forward to the next one.

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
Not yet, but we will submitted shortly.

FYI, the show will be up late tonight. Both of my DVD-ROMs decided not to work for quite some time today. No rhyme or reason. Making it impossible for me to capture the audio clips I wanted. I got it working just in time for me to head to work.

I'll give you a brief synopsis of my PC troubles in last 2 years:

4 new power supplies
1 montherboard/processor
3 harddrives

All well hooked to a UPS
I now just have to mix in the music and it will be upload about 12:30am when I get off work... sorry for the delay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks