What's new

Wireless audio from PC to stereo receiver 12' away? (1 Viewer)

CRyan

Screenwriter
What options are there? Anything new? I have several connection possibilities from my PC - Bluetooth, 802.11g, FM transmitter maybe? I know there are always those 900mhz audio transievers.

I want the best quality, but I have never done it before, and thought someone else might have a best way to do it. Thanks for any help.

They key here is I want to control the music by my PC.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Yep. Wireless router.

House is wired - Forgot to mention that I have a physical ethernet port in the wall where the stereo is.

CRyan

Screenwriter
OK. I see that Airtunes will work with the PC. This is basically what I want but there is no way to stream music from other applications besides iTunes.

So any other ideas before I buy a $130 piece of Apple hardware?

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
No other ideas, but I have two AirPort Express units in use and they work great. Make sure you get the stereo connection kit because no connectors come with the unit itself.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
How about something like

http://www.usr.com/products/device/p...sp?sku=USR6003

There are a ton of wireless media servers you could use, but since you're wanting to control playback from the PC, you'd have to go a little lower tech.

The page above says that it's no longer available for purchase, but it's pretty easy to find in stock at other retailers.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
How good of a tuner do you have on the stereo and does your home computer have an optical or coax digital out? How about your stereo what input options do you have?

CRyan

Screenwriter
Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I saw that US Robotics thingy. Not bad.
I am going to control this from a wireless laptop - hence why the airtunes hardware looks so promising. I dont have to physically attach anything to the PC - this is my ultimate goal.

What sucks is that there is an add-on for the MacOS that allows you to control the Airport Express with other programs besides iTunes.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Been looking at that as well! However, I was concerned that it will not be controlled by the PC. Their current version uses the TV and a supplied remote to control your music. BUt it looks like this will work just like the Airport. I wish it would hurry up and come out!

CRyan

Screenwriter
Yes. Very Very cool. But it does not allow control from the PC which is what I need.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Another cool device but not computer controlled so not for me. I am trying to control house speakers with the amps in a closet. So I don't need another remote. I just want to use my PC.

However, looking at this and other similar devices for video, I really wish they would access VOB and IFO files. Or at least ISO. Oh well on that note too.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Sure its computer controlled. Unless I missed something, the DVD player basically only provides the connection between your computer and the amp/reciever thus you control everything from the PC.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Instead of starting a new thread, I wanted to piggy back here. I want to send music from my PC laptop to my HT setup.I like this because I don't want to have to be concerned with plugging something into the laptop (i.e a USB device or something that plugs into the audio outs). I read the reviews and the cons don't seem to bother me (i.e. you have to close out of your media player if you want to switch between the wireless and the built-in PC speakers). Also, not being able to hear the music on the laptop (when wireless is turned on) isn't a big deal either because I'll be using the laptop in the same room as my HT.

I just basically want to send music to my receiver (from my laptop) without having to plug a wire in. The Linksys sounds like it would do the trick (I also have a Linksys wireless network), but I just wanted to see if anyone had any other 'cooler' recommendations?

p.s. No "Radio" transmitters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks