What's new

1950s British Swashbuckler Series (1 Viewer)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
I know that Network has released several of these series in the UK, “The Adventures of Robin Hood,” “The Adventures of Sir Lancelot,” “The Buccaneers,” and “Sir Francis Drake” on complete series sets, but was curious if anyone has heard any information that might suggest we’ll see any official releases of these series in the US. “Robin Hood” has had numerous public domain releases here, and Critics Choice Video is showing an April 11th release date for Volume 1 of “The Adventures of Sir Lancelot” (I’m guessing that it will be four random episodes that are in the public domain, given most vintage TV releases from Critics Choice). These series were pretty well done for their time and, importantly, proved that British produced series could gain an audience in the US, paving the way for great shows like “The Avengers,” “The Saint,” and “Secret Agent” a/k/a “Danger Man” in the 1960s.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
I picked up all of the series you mentioned from overseas. Network and Amazon UK had big sales at the end of last year and I got them all very cheaply. I have a Koss DVD player that I hacked the region code on and I use it to play my foreign discs. One never knows but I can't see a legit release of those shows over here when we can't even get things like The Fugitive and The Man from UNCLE put out.

Tom.W

Second Unit
I picked up Gideon's Way from Network through Amazon UK and reset the region code on my dvd rom. Just had a chance to check out the quality on a few eps but what I've seen looks great. I'm contemplating picking up some of the others mentioned since they're sure to be superior to the PD releases on Alpha. Of course much cheaper to buy "series" sets (as they're called overseas) than individual discs with 4 episodes each.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Alpha Video will be releasing two volumes of "The Buccaneers" on June 27th. There's no listing yet as to which episodes will be included but, presumably, each volume will contain 4 episodes. Outside of a single episode released by the Canadian company Cascadia Entertainment a few years ago, I believe that this represents the first time that multiple episodes of the series have been released on commercially available DVDs in North America.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
I know this will be unrestored, public domain quality, but Alpha Video is showing a July 25th release date for "The Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel." With the exception of a single episode, I haven't seen this series since the early 1960s. Alpha's also showing another rarity, "Terry and the Pirates," on the same date. Great to see some of these early to mid 1950s shows get some sort of release, as it's a pretty good bet that the big studios would never even consider these.

http://www.oldies.com/product/coming...nre_tvser.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks