What's new

Will Studio's Ever Learn that We Hate Double Sided Disks (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Now Fox Has gone to Double sided Disks for thier TV Products and while they are'nt the Dreaded DVD-18's (THey're DVD-10's) some of the same problems remain, they scratch easy. In fact they get scratched with the insert cards many Studios include.

I cannot believe they are losing that much more profibility with DVD-9's and they gotta get less returns. Also people with Megachangers , Like Me , without Dual side playing capability are stuck.

No More Double Sided Disks !

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I completely agree. Double sided discs suck for the reasons your already mentioned.

I will not buy a set that uses double sided discs. Period.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Please dont speak for me in this "We" collective of yours. I dont mind 'em, and anything that gets the overall set cheaper is a good thing in my book.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Dave,
I think it has more to with manufacturing capacity. The studios prepare their releases months, sometimes years, in advance. Since the studios farm out most of their DVD manufacturing, their desire for a particular DVD format (DVD-9, -10, -18, etc.) may be trumped by the manufacturers inability to produce it when needed.

Since the DVD format was established to accommodate five disc types, manufacturers set up production lines dedicated to each type, with some flexibility. Studio "A" might want title "Z" on three DVD-9s pressed for release by date "Q"; but manufacturer "X" may say "Sorry, we can't make that date with DVD-9, but how about three DVD-10s?"

That scenario seems to make some sense. With all the studios, big and small, releasing a never-ending flood of titles to market, there are bound to be compromises made to intended disc formats, and packaging, due to manufacturing constraints.

That said, I'd also like to see the end of double-sided discs. It's not going to happen, since it would cause massive disruption (and cost) to the industry to retool production lines to convert to single-sided production only.

AndySvn

Agent
I hate them. I hate the microscopic title bands around the spindle. When you play them in the dark you can't see which side you're playing. :thumbsdown:

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

Double sided discs don't make it cheaper in the long run. If 1 out of 10 discs needs to be replaced, how is that saving money?

The initial costs of 2 single sided discs might be $1 more than 1 double sided disc. I would gladly pay $1 more for a disc I can actually play and actually read/identify.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Me too. The problem is that a $1 cost increase to the studio becomes a $5 or $10 retail price increase to the consumer. Did you ever notice how (almost) every DVD is priced at $5 increments? Most TV sets are prices at $10 increments. For example, if Universal chose to release "Rockford Files" on six DVD-9s instead of three DVD-18s, would they raise the retail price to $42.98 to cover their additional cost to manufacture? Nope. The retail price would most certainly jump to $49.98. Why not have a retail price of $43.98, $36.97, $52.88, etc. Rarely does a retailer charge the full list price anyway. I've always thought this $5 incremental price structuring was odd, even in the LD days.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i don't mind them so much except the small writing. especially when the writing is one ONE side, and when it says "SIDE B on other side", and you miss the "on other side" part... and end up haveing to flip it later. and one some of those tv show sets (like ER), seeing if it was side A or B was murder.

but i don't think i've ever had a disc scratched because it was 2 sided.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I have posted before that I have had no problems with DVD18s, but have since had to retract that. I've had plenty of problems recently with the Leave It To Beaver Set. I am still going to buy the double sided sets, because unfortunately there are too many shows that I want, and if that is the only way that they are going to be produced I'll have to buy them. When you come right down to it, it is a cheap and cheesy way for the studio to put out a product. It is just a total lack of regard for the customer and for quality.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I have found it's almost mandatory to do backups of Double sided disks. I rip however many eps will fit onto DVD-r without compression, for an hour a show that's usually 2 episodes. Half Hour Four. Then I usually watch the Backups. It's a Pain but better than replacing a $80 set like my Original Galactica Set that's been trashed by the elements

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Yeah I don't let that Galactica 1978 set out of my sight. My nephew (age 27 or so) seems to have hammer hands and he managed to scratch up pretty much the entirety of my Star Trek the next Generation sets...that's about 50 disks. I don't know how he does it, but he does it.

Mary_P

Second Unit
I hate "me too" posts, but I'm gonna say "me too" just to let the studio folk (should they happen to be reading) hear from yet another consumer: I hate double-sided discs.

Others have mentioned the main reasons: I have a multi-disc player and hate having to open it to flip a disc; I hate trying to read the title/side on that tiny little center band. And if you should happen to drop it, there's not even a 50/50 chance that the read side is not going to hit the carpet.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
:sigh: DVD IS A 2-SIDED MEDIUM! They're being "cheap" when they're NOT using both sides!

The fewer discs the better- I just got a customer's return where I work of one of the ER sets, which has SIX 1-sided discs, and the package is 3 panels where one disc overlaps the other so you have to take one disc out just to get to the one underneath it! The hubs holding the discs had broken on the one this customer got so the discs were scratched and the whole thing was a total mess. If anyone prefers THAT to 3 DVD-18s, they're nuts.

That said, they should still do a better job of labeling them; DualDiscs have labeling on the entire center of the disc in larger print so there's no reason why they can't do that with DVDs. And Universal and Fox are nuts for putting print on only one side.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I think the studios have well learned that we hate double sided discs already.

Now, if you're waiting for them to give a rat's ass...

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I spoke with Fox about their use of DVD-10s and I was told there was significant savings with using 10s over 9s. They use them on the titles where budgets are tight.

Gord

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
It's a damn shame that Fox spent the obvious Money Remastering a Show like the Time Tunnel and then pop it on Crap. I received my Disks Tonight. Side 1 Disk 1 Scuff Marks , oh boy, So I figure before I watch this and throw a Finger print on it , whick will probably Destroy it I better Copy the thing. Throw t in my Trustworthy Machine. Half way thru Come Back it hit 25 retries before I get the Dreaded I/O error. Try Side 2 Same thing. Side two has some wierd markings on it as well. And could they use any more Cheaper Slim Cases, my Disk one won't even Close Properly. I've bought Empty cases from Tag Sales that were better Quality. Fox will put out Quality for The Shield but Time Tunnel I guess isn't considered Worth, even thou it's close to the Shield in MSRP.

This is Just poor Buisness Fox. I can't believe it Fox in one Swoop has hit the Bottom with Universal. I guess My Hill Street Blues order goes to Netflix, who will By the Way Get DVD 9's for TT and HSB, ya think they know something. It's kinda bad when to back up my own Disks I bought I'll have to rent from Netflix.

Very Very Dissapointed.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
I always thought they used double sided for slightly more capasity... and ease of mastering. oh well. I dont mind them at all.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Its Funny How The People With opinion's the Opposite of Mine have Strange Capitalzaition Habbits and Often dont Speel there Word's right. ;)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well gotta Spend the $$$ now to ship back to Laser's Edge for a replacement. Lesson Learned Don't buy Double sided disks, but especially don't buy them online.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks