What's new

WB and UPN to merge into one network (1 Viewer)

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
I was shocked and a little frightened when I first heard about this, but I was relieved to read that the only three shows I watch on either network (Gilmore Girls, Smallville and Veronica Mars) will still be around for the move.

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator

When I first saw the announcement, I was worried about Veronica Mars, but all three of those shows are listed, so I would guess they are coming back next year. I'm sure Supernatural is safe also.

I also like Everwood and worry about it not being mentioned with the others.

I know 7th Heaven and Charmed are getting the axe, so that frees up some space on the schedule.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm... So I'm guessing that Chris-Craft and Tribune are going to be out of the picture (though Viacom may already have bought Chris-Craft out)? I also imagine that this could get very ugly with the affiliates: Here in Boston, I figure "CW" (CBS/Warner?) will wind up on Tribune-owned WB56 (since Tribune is going to need to be compensated for being out of the loop, even if UPN-38 would be the more logical choice as an owned-and-operated station), so what ends up on 38? Do they go back to showing movies, try to make a deal with the Celtics (because the Red Sox and Bruins aren't coming off NESN), or what? There's not a whole lot of first-run syndicated dramas that can be plugged into six days of prime time.

Oddly enough, though, if you look at all the holes in the two networks' schedules, you could probably make a guess at what the combined scheudle will look like:

Sunday
7:00 - Inevitable Seventh Heaven spinoff
8:00 - Charmed
9:00 - Veronica Mars
- Charmed is pretty much unkillable, it seems, and now the network and the studio will be sister companies. Veronica should get increased budget for the same reason, and there's no other youth-oriented stuff on Sunday (and no crime, once football starts on NBC)

Monday
8:00 - One on One
8:30 - All of Us
9:00 - Girlfriends
9:30 - Half and Half
- If Seventh Heaven weren't ending, I'd see it sticking around. UPN's programming for black audiences could be in real danger, and that could lead to some ugly press.

Tuesday
8:00 - Gilmore Girls
9:00 - Supernatural
- Ain't broke, and UPN barely programs Tuesday any more.

Wednesday
8:00 - America's Next Top Model/Beauty and the Geek
9:00 - One Tree Hill
- The two unscripted shows could probably share the timeslot well; I see Veronica Mars more likely to be bumped to another night.

Thursday
8:00 - Smallville
9:00 - Aquaman. Two weeks later, Everwood
- UPN's urban comedies tend to run their course after five years to be replaced by another one. Eve will probably end up on Monday night, but I don't know which show it replaces.

Friday
8:00 - Everybody Hates Chris
8:30 - Reba
9:00 - Living With Fran
9:30 - New comedy
- I'm guessing Chris winds up fitting WB's Friday night block better than UPN's Monday one.

And, supposedly, Smackdown! will still figure in, but I'm guessing that'll be monthly specials or something.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I was also worried about GILMORE and VERONICA. And what about AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL? That does fairly well.

Now I'm worried about what channel this will be on. I have both a UPN and WB channel on my cable system. Which will be the new channel? And since the other channel isn't a network, will my cable system drop it? (They've been dropping a lot of local channels lately, leaving only one of each network).

The move does make sense though. I often confuse the two, forgetting which show is on which channel (must be the whole BUFFY thing).

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator
I was worried about Everwood before the announcement. This might have sealed its fate. I hope Everwood gets another year.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I just read about this on Futon Critic...
I am still a little worried they will mess this up... but hopefully it will all work out for the best... and without losing any good shows.

Jason...

I am pretty sure Charmed is in it's last season now... even as much as I love that show... I think it is about time for it to go. Besides... if I am not mistaken... I think I read somewhere that all 3 of the girls' contracts end with this season. So I pretty much think this will be it.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I wonder what will happen with WWOR in NY here once they lose their UPN contract deal.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I wonder how many stations will find it difficult to go back to being independent and just shut down?

In Las Vegas, the UPN affiliate is a LP station that took years just to get added to the cable system, and without network programming, I wonder what they'll do? Maybe run religious or shopping shows?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't mind the consolidation, but I hope my shows all survive. Two of them have been mentioned as being mentioned (VM and Smallville), but I hope Supernatural makes the cut as well.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
This could get really ugly. I imagine that there will be some negotiated settlement between CW and the now-unffiliated stations, but I imagine several will shut down. I suppose Pax and Univision could expand their reach, but there's not nearly as much local sports to fill the schedule with now, and the money from selling ad time for edited-for-TV movies can't be nearly as good as the money for original programming.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Personally, I'm surprised it took this long. Neither had quite enough quality programming to make a network worth watching. Going to be interesting to see if the combined power can have them rise above the basement.

Jason

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Personally, I hope that Cablevision just dumps one and adds a new channel to replace it, rather than keeping a network that might switch to religious, local, or infomercial programing, but I'm not holding my breath...

WadeLil

Stunt Coordinator
This could actually free up more space for syndicated action shows on some of the stations left out.That segment has been on decline for years now, perhaps this could give it new life.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I guess they will finally start having a Saturday night block.

Greg, I read somewhere that Supernatural will probably be safe. :emoji_thumbsup:

Daniel-M

Second Unit
i will be very suprised if Smackdown doesn't go to Sunday.

Smallville will stay put. I hope they move VM away from Lost

Charmed is going away(yipee)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Remember, starting this fall, NBC will be running football Sunday nights. Even if it looks like UPN's programmers are in charge, not even they are dumb enough to put Smackdown! up against that.

Daniel-M

Second Unit
Sunday
Smackdown

Monday
Comedy-night

Tuesday
Gilmore Girls
Supernatural

Wednsday
Veronica Mars
ANTM

Thursday
Smallville
Aquaman

Friday
comedy-night

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks