What's new

ESPN -- Stop Being So "Hip"! (1 Viewer)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I just wanted to "shout out" about ESPN. Err... rather, I wanted to complain about ESPN. Will they please, please, go back to covering sports with out all the bullshit?!

Can I just once watch Sportscenter without the constant interuptions for ridiculous nicknames and segways? "Kobe takes the ball, and drives the lane, someone call the cops then my momma because there's been a mugging out front! Booyah, slams the rock down like a dog biting the mailman! Let me holla at a playa cause your sista ain't home!"

Now, I know what you're thinking. Yeah, I don't like Stuart Scott either -- he bugs the shit out of me. But it isn't just Stuart Scott, it's every damn one of them. Just stop it, stop it please! Same thing with Chris "Boomer" Berman. Cut the nicknames, they're lame, they're not funny, they're not ironic, they aren't even good.

I like enthusiasm in sports, I don't mind a skit here or there having a good time. (Kenny Mayne's interview with Mack Strong, where everyone was giving themselves nicknames, was hilarious.) It's OK to have fun, sports are fun, games are fun. But, please, quit trying to be so damn "hip", you just come off as being lame.

(And off the subject, it takes a lot of nerve to have Kobe's 81 point game as the lead in to Sportscenter on the day after the AFC/NFC Championship games. Kobe's a ball-hog, I get it.)

Doug

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Precisely why I cannot watch anything on ESPN other than actual sporting events. The anchors/interviewers all think they're more important than the event/player they're covering.

And "hip/slang" type language bugs the hell out of me anyway.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Admittedly, I only see ESPN (or any sports stuff) when someone else turns it on but I find it funny that their style has been stolen but every other sports commentator on TV. It seems like every one of those guys thinks that they're doing comedy instead of reporting on a game.

You don't hear the meteorologist saying "Booyah! Rain tommorow!" or "Like Nelly says 'It's gettin hot in here' tomorrow" :)

Ravi K

Supporting Actor

They made fun of this on SNL years ago when Ray Romano hosted. I never watch sports coverage, only the games themselves, so I had no idea they were actually like this.

Britton

Screenwriter
Yeah, ESPN needs to cut out the BS. The only thing I can stand to watch on the network is PTI.

As for Kobe, with that team he's on, I don't mind if he keeps shooting. What other chance do they have? Besides, if he was really such a bad guy, wouldn't be have stayed in that Dallas came back in December when he had 62 after 3 quarters? If Jordan had poured in 81, we'd all be falling over ourselves to celebrate the achievement. I'm not a Kobe fan by any means and I despise the Lakers, but the hatred of Kobe is going way too far.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Britton -- ? I don't hate Kobe. Honestly, I'm not much of an NBA fan anymore. I'll watch the finals, but that's about it. My statement was more of surprise that they would have a basketball highlight front Sportscenter when 2 games deciding conference championships were on the same day.

I'm entertained by PTI, but don't like the Around the Horn at all. (And REALLY didn't like Fox Sports rip-off show, I-Max, that didn't last.)

Doug

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

I kind of agree with you...but, c'mon...the second best scoring performance in the history of the game. Seems like pretty big news to me. Now, if either of the NFL conference championship games had been interesting, you may have an argument.

As for the ESPN style...that's why I gave up on Sportscenter 10 years ago. The only thing I still watch regularly besides the games is College Gameday.

JamesED

Second Unit

"But in my book, you gotta get to Whitecastle before the weirdos show up! Tonight at the Alamodome, he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle! Sweet Sassy Molassey! Get out the checkbook and pay grandma for the rubdown!"

I think of that skit everytime I watch Sportscenter. :D

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
I watch SC every morning and agree. There is too much BS. I just want them to report the highlights/scores as is without hype.

Stuart Scott is awful. He needs to move on from ESPN. Plus, his lazy eye creepy.

I enjoy listening to Linda Cohn reporting the news.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Just like end zone celebrations, a little is amusing, too much is obnoxious. I like a little humor and enthusiasm with my highlights, but I agree it can get annoying. The fake laughing, buddy-buddy, fake goofing on each other on the network nfl pregame shows bothers me more than anything on SC. Give me more Ron Jaworski breaking down film!

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

Amen!

"Penguins goalie says 'Hey, don't shoot that puck in my pooper' and check out this guy on the Bruins. he says, 'I'll shoot that puck anywhere I want and if that happens to be in your pooper than so be it'"

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Doug Miller,

I can understand your concerns but that's why I love Mike & Mike in the Morning (which recently switched from ESPNews to ESPN2). The bantering between the "odd couple" pairing of Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic is definitely lots of fun, especially during the football season.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Chris Berman's nicknames for players really get on my nerves. If I hear "Daylight come, you gotta Delhomme" one more time...

Also, they need to stop playing that annnoying "I Love You Too, Here's to Football" song they play with the NFL highlights. Coors Light stopped using that marketing campaign years ago.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Ray --

I like Mike/Mike in the morning, but that's not Sportcenter, it's a radio show meant for entertainment. Mike/Mike are fun to listen to, they have a real rapore that comes off. I like those guys a lot.

Also, like Matt, I love College Gameday.

My biggest complaint is Sportscenter. I don't mind shows that are there for entertainment purposes, like PTI, but don't "hip" up my news! In terms of other sports entertainment shows, I still love Best Damn on Fox, sometimes they try a little too hard, but it's still a fun show -- reminds me of a sports "Man Show", minus the Juggies... hmm....

Doug

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Amen. Someone tell Kenny Mayne and the rest of his ilk, they are the equivalent of computer nerds in sports. They are not funny, their droll ultra-glib delivery is not entertaining in the least.

And I agree, its not just Stuart Scott, its all of em. Berman is not original anymore, he is redundant, unoriginal and lame. His riffs and nicknames are mostly so excruiating stupid, I can't imagine anyone laughing at them after the first 18 times he says them.

I wish I could remember the one that kept bugging me. It was like the guy's name was Hoover and Boomer would say Hoover vacuums his way down the field....as if that made sense to anyone. I mean c'mon, that is 10th grade humor and he is full of them.

Ok rant off. I do enjoy primetime because they go through all the games and there is no alternative.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor

Stuart's eye, and Carlin's last HBO special, are the two times I've regretted moving to HDTV.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I can't believe you guys like Mike and Mike. They've gotten better, but they are pretty awful, imo. Golic is just painful to listen to. He can't put a coherent sentence together. I was hoping their extended holiday break would be permanent. Mark Schlereth and Eric Casilias (sp?) were hands down much better. Mike and Mike do get great guests though.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Thank good for picture in picture, only look at the scores running across the bottom.. Don't have to listen to them at all....... Painful...

I agree with who ever said ESPN is to sports as MTV is to music.......

R~

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
SportsCenter hasn't been the same since the Olbermann/Patrick days. While they could be amusing, they were still very professional about their job. The guys since just don't do it for me.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks