Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

SIRIUS expected to break 4Million

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted January 21 2006 - 07:50 AM

On January 9, upon Stern's addition to SIRIUS, SIRIUS touted that it had achieved 3.3M subscribers. This bump created a larger-then-expected payday for Stern; but now, according to SIRIUS news (100/101) SIRIUS is currently estimating 3.89M subscribers, with January being their busiest subscription month ever; mostly holiday activations. SIRIUS is still running behind on over-the-phone activation due to demand; but if pace holds, SIRIUS believes it will break 4M by Valentines day
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#2 of 11 Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter

• 1,070 posts

Posted January 21 2006 - 07:57 AM

Awesome news! Now the anti Sirius/Anti Stern crowd is going to have to come up with some new material after their "Sirius will fail" and "The gamble won't pay off" lines proved untrue.
 This Are Intentionally Left Blank

#3 of 11 Ernie Estrella

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted January 22 2006 - 03:32 PM

Yeah, no kidding. If this keeps up it could make a serious run for next christmas. Just imagine if XM landed the Stern deal. Sirius would have been dead. It's too bad Sirius was unable to hold the NHL crowd (but I'm sure they lost money on the strike last year) for 2007, and that we've got NASCAR coming in, but I'd trade Nascar for Baseball. All Sirius needs is a channel just for soundtracks and scores.
Ernie Estrella
Staff Writer
Pop Culture Shock
http://www.popcultureshock.com

#4 of 11 Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter

• 1,070 posts

Posted January 22 2006 - 04:18 PM

Yeah, XM should have done whatever it took to sign Stern and Sirius would have been dead and buried. XM did make a smart move in signing with MLB... they would be in trouble if they didn't have that to flaunt. Sirius has a great Sports lineup... but having baseball would have been the clincher.
 This Are Intentionally Left Blank

#5 of 11 Ernie Estrella

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted January 23 2006 - 02:35 AM

You know though, I wouldn't want a monopoly, and I'm saying this as a huge Sirius fan. I think Sirius strives to bring great programming because they are trying to close the gap and hopefully surpass the subscriber count, but I do want to see both be successful because that will continue to raise the bar. When you don't have competition, you become content, lazy, and fat. But I love hearing Sirius doubling its subscriber count in the last 5 months than it has during its entire existence.
Ernie Estrella
Staff Writer
Pop Culture Shock

#6 of 11 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted January 23 2006 - 02:49 AM

Realize, the announcement SIRIUS wants to make is this: last February, they had 625,000 subscribers. This year, over four million at the same time. That's great news for them.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#7 of 11 Brent T

Brent T

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted January 26 2006 - 01:12 AM

We got Sirius for my father-in-law who hates Stern. He is a music lover so we figured that since he is in sales and does alot of traveling it would be a great gift.

Well he just activated it this past weekend. And we have never seen him so excited about a gift. He was telling us all the music channels that he loves and some that they couldnt believe they had.

He was so impressed that he said he was telling some of his co-workers about it and it got them fired up.

Now he is an older guy so I gotta believe as the word spreads to other demographics that 4million # should jump to 5-6 easily by the end of the year.

Long live Satellite !!

#8 of 11 RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted January 28 2006 - 03:12 AM

Quote:
Now he is an older guy so I gotta believe as the word spreads to other demographics that 4million # should jump to 5-6 easily by the end of the year.

Well, I'm turning 64 this year (there's a Beatles song somewhere in that comment Posted Image ) and I love music and I've always been a big fan of Howard Stern so what demographic does that put me in?

Posted Image

The bottom line: When my XM year subscription is over (I've been with them from the start) I'm not renewing. It's not about everything that XM offers. It's about Stern being on Sirius.
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
CLICK HERE to visit My HT HTF Rules and Regulations

#9 of 11 Ernie Estrella

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted January 29 2006 - 03:26 PM

There are a lot of great music stations and things other than stern on Sirius, and this is coming from a long time stern fan. People have the ability to block stations if they don't want to hear it. $13/month gets you a lot each month.
Ernie Estrella
Staff Writer
Pop Culture Shock

#10 of 11 brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 02:41 AM

"and that we've got NASCAR coming in"

Imagine that!! "well there goes Jeff Gordan, and here he comes again, and there he goes again, and here he comes, and goes"

Really, wathching cars go in circles is hard enough, but listening to cars go in circles would put me to sleep.

Brent

I admit< I hate Nascar, but at least they "do it right" on TV, they have the bet telematics(?) and other computer stuff, and the best camera positions(brake cam) in racing.

#11 of 11 Steve Blair

Steve Blair

Second Unit

• 380 posts

Posted February 01 2006 - 08:41 AM

I bought the Sirius S50 and a lifetime membership last week and am loving listening to howard each day. I agree they need a "cinemagic" like channel that plays movie soundtracks and hope that follows soon...