Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WOW!! . Eagles hell freezes over.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 JohnMurphy

JohnMurphy

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 09:25 PM

OK, I am new to dvd audio. I bought my first music dvd and I love it. Eagles hell freezes over.
DTS sound is great to have playing when family and friends are over. Id like to get more titles. Do you have any recomendations. Do all disks have the same quality sound as the Eagles?
I would like to get a Metalica or something harder to test the lows in my system. I have a broad music range so give me your best titles, or point me in the right direction to research this better. Thanks in advance......Murph

#2 of 15 MikeH1

MikeH1

Screenwriter

• 1,498 posts

Posted January 21 2006 - 02:33 AM

Fleetwood Mac The Dance is great using a Dolby Digital mix.

Ummm, yeah thats about all I know lol. I just put up a "concert dvd's" thread that asks basicly the same thing you are (oops).

#3 of 15 Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,802 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted January 21 2006 - 09:35 AM

Quote:
OK, I am new to dvd audio.
Just to avoid confusion, you may want to say 'concert films on DVD'--Hell Freezes Over is unfortunately not available as a DVD-Audio disc.

Metallica is.

-p

#4 of 15 Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted January 21 2006 - 10:47 AM

The newest Green Day, Bullet in a Bible is good. I am mainly a classic rock fan though. The Who at The Albert Hall is very good. Also, the The Who Live at the Isle of Wight is good even though the entire performance is not on the DVD. Roger Waters' In the Flesh is also pretty good. If you like the Stones, Four Flicks and At the Max are not bad. Oh, and I forgot, the latest Eagles DVD is pretty good too. The set list is incredible. The band misses Don Felder, but they still sounds great. Oh...and don't forget to listen to Seven Bridges Road on the Hell Freezes Over DVD. It is audio only and doesn't play unless you select it from the song list.

#5 of 15 JohnMurphy

JohnMurphy

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted January 21 2006 - 01:36 PM

Does audio dvd have video also or is it all music?
Is the sound quality on an audio dvd better then a cd?
Thanks again. Murph

#6 of 15 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,677 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted January 21 2006 - 04:55 PM

Quote:
Do you mean DVD-Audio? If so, most DVD-A's have still pictures or lyrics. Others may have an interview or two or maybe a separate music video. Many also have extra tracks not included on the cd version.
Quote:
With it's higher resolution it should be. But as with everything else you buy, it's buyer beware. There are some DTS discs (like those from Mobile Fidelity) that sound better than some DVD-A discs (like those from Silverline). If you mean concerts dvd's, I don't think the best dvd can sound any better than the best cd. Same technology.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#7 of 15 Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted January 22 2006 - 05:10 AM

Quote:
Just to avoid confusion, you may want to say 'concert films on DVD'--Hell Freezes Over is unfortunately not available as a DVD-Audio disc.

It is however in a DTS audio only disc if anyone is interested.

#8 of 15 Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,802 posts

Posted January 22 2006 - 07:14 AM

Quote:
The name of the format is DVD-Audio. Per Gene's post, yes many DVD-As have vid content. Pet Sounds even includes a promo film done for the release of that album.

Yes, the sound quality of DVD-A is better than CD. Although its dated and not as thorough as it could be, you should at least read the HTF Primer entry on DVD-A and SACD.

Quote:
If you mean concerts dvd's, I don't think the best dvd can sound any better than the best cd. Same technology.
To put a finer point on it, if a concert film/video compilation DVD-Video title has a two-channel PCM track on it, that is the same technology as CD. However, if you're referring to the DTS or Dolby Digital track, of course that's lossy compression and is not the same technology as standard CD PCM.

-p

#9 of 15 FeisalK

FeisalK

Screenwriter

• 1,245 posts

Posted January 22 2006 - 04:41 PM

Quote:
Pet Sounds even includes a pormo film done for the release of that album.

this sounds ominous... *LOL*
>
DVD-A registry for hirez/surround audio
Bluray, DVD-Audio, DAD/HDAD, DualDisc, MVI

#10 of 15 Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,802 posts

Posted January 22 2006 - 04:56 PM

Feisal: LOL. Corrected. -p

#11 of 15 Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Screenwriter

• 1,380 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted January 23 2006 - 04:38 AM

The Eagles Farewell Tour is of course great. I also came across The Doobie Brothers at Wolf Trap. A true gem that sounds stellar as well.

#12 of 15 LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted January 23 2006 - 05:50 PM

Peter Gabriel's Play video collection has all its songs, I think twenty in all, remixed into 5.1 surround. FYI: some songs are so remixed that some people don't like them. The DTS96/24 track on it is supposed to sound very good (this is still a compressed/lossy format but its frequency response is more extended than regular DTS). It also includes Dolby 5.1.

#13 of 15 Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,802 posts

Posted January 23 2006 - 07:05 PM

Good call, Lance-that's an excellent PG compilation, different versions of songs notwithstanding.

-p

#14 of 15 LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted January 24 2006 - 12:34 PM

Paul: I know I've mentioned Play elsewhere so it seems I should own it by now, eh? I only own one Peter Gabriel album, So, which I DO listen to on a regular basis and am familiar & like his other stuff they play on the radio, but a lot of the tracks on the dvd I've never heard before. So I've been using my limited budget (Earth Science teachers aren't exactly in high demand these days Posted Image ) on other material, especially ska and 60s psychedelic rock.

But i very much like well-done visual art & Mr. Gabriel always has something interesting to show us so after all the yakking, I think I'm going to change my schedule and grab this one very soon.

#15 of 15 Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,802 posts

Posted January 30 2006 - 07:39 AM

John M.:

Although still dated, here's a more comprehensive resource for info on DVD-A and other surround topics:

http://www.wired4mus..._faqs.htm#2.3.1

Check out chapter 2.5.

-p

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow