What's new

Criterion or Sony.... Godzilla (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
The re-release of Godzilla that was presented last year by Rialto, the un butchered version, does any of the studios have plans of releasing this. this is on my wait list, if you want to throw in the Burr version as an extra thats ok but Really looking for the original cut with the new subtitles.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Also ... VIBES 1988 - Jeff Goldblum, Cyndi Lauper, Peter Falk

Which studio owns NIGHT OF THE COMET, and is it coming out soon?

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
From what I understand, Classic Media (who released the Raymond Burr version of GODZILLA on R1 DVD that is in current circulation, the 1960s KING KONG cartoons, ROGER RAMJET, RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER, etc), retain the North American rights to the 1954/56 film, and are planning on a R1 DVD re-release sometime this year, containing the uncut Japanese-language version, and the Americanized recut. Also apparently planned are widescreen versions of the 1960s Toho films previously released here in Foolscreen-only versions (GODZILLA VS. MOTHRA (1964), GODZILLA VS. MONSTER ZERO (1965), GODZILLA'S REVENGE (1969), TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA (1975), etc). They also picked up the rights to some Godzilla films they didn't have previously, like GODZILLA RAIDS AGAIN (1955) and GHIDRAH THE THREE-HEADED MONSTER (1965).

Classic Media distributes their DVDs through Sony, but are an independently-run company, so Sony has little-to-no say over the content of their DVDs. These remastered Toho film DVDs were originally scheduled to be released in November 2005, but have been pushed back to (I believe) Summer 2006, as Classic Media has been negotiating with Toho for better prints of the films. It is rumored that Classic Media is looking into having both the Japanese and American cuts of each film included in each package.

Exactly what we're going to get, and when, still remains to be seen.

For the record, I don't work for any of the companies mentioned, just relaying info posted elsewhere from knowlegable fans, and sites like Henshin Online.

Benn

Stunt Coordinator
The oldie I'm looking from from Sony (I'm told they own it now) or Criterion (or who ever might own the rights to it) is:

THE MAID (1991) Martin Sheen and Jacqueline Bissett

A good re-digitized version, I'd buy in a New York minute. And I'm from the Seattle area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks