Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Criterion or Sony.... Godzilla

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,954 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted January 20 2006 - 01:40 AM

The re-release of Godzilla that was presented last year by Rialto, the un butchered version, does any of the studios have plans of releasing this. this is on my wait list, if you want to throw in the Burr version as an extra thats ok but Really looking for the original cut with the new subtitles.
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 08:18 AM

Also ... VIBES 1988 - Jeff Goldblum, Cyndi Lauper, Peter Falk

Which studio owns NIGHT OF THE COMET, and is it coming out soon?

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Stanton Heck

Stanton Heck

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 06:13 PM

I want The Birdcage with deleted footage

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,648 posts

Posted February 07 2006 - 10:59 AM

From what I understand, Classic Media (who released the Raymond Burr version of GODZILLA on R1 DVD that is in current circulation, the 1960s KING KONG cartoons, ROGER RAMJET, RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER, etc), retain the North American rights to the 1954/56 film, and are planning on a R1 DVD re-release sometime this year, containing the uncut Japanese-language version, and the Americanized recut. Also apparently planned are widescreen versions of the 1960s Toho films previously released here in Foolscreen-only versions (GODZILLA VS. MOTHRA (1964), GODZILLA VS. MONSTER ZERO (1965), GODZILLA'S REVENGE (1969), TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA (1975), etc). They also picked up the rights to some Godzilla films they didn't have previously, like GODZILLA RAIDS AGAIN (1955) and GHIDRAH THE THREE-HEADED MONSTER (1965).

Classic Media distributes their DVDs through Sony, but are an independently-run company, so Sony has little-to-no say over the content of their DVDs. These remastered Toho film DVDs were originally scheduled to be released in November 2005, but have been pushed back to (I believe) Summer 2006, as Classic Media has been negotiating with Toho for better prints of the films. It is rumored that Classic Media is looking into having both the Japanese and American cuts of each film included in each package.

Exactly what we're going to get, and when, still remains to be seen.

For the record, I don't work for any of the companies mentioned, just relaying info posted elsewhere from knowlegable fans, and sites like Henshin Online.

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Benn

Benn

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted April 02 2006 - 07:23 AM

The oldie I'm looking from from Sony (I'm told they own it now) or Criterion (or who ever might own the rights to it) is:

THE MAID (1991) Martin Sheen and Jacqueline Bissett

A good re-digitized version, I'd buy in a New York minute. And I'm from the Seattle area.