What's new

Dumbo SE - 6/13/06 (1 Viewer)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Interesting News!

This has always been and most likely always will be my favorite Disney film. I loved the first SE, but the picture could have used some improvement.

If they give the master clean-up that it deserves than count me in. This smells suspiciously like a re-packaging though.

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator
Glad I held off from the current release, I guess. I always had this suspicion they might revisit it before a hidef version.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The only things Disney could add to Dumbo are original mono and give the film its own DVD-9 (2-disc). The original DVD is excellent in every way, so I don't know why a new edition is needed.

Some people didn't like the transfer, but it's one of the few Disney features on DVD with the natural film grain intact. Absolutely no dirt, specks, or even cel dust.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
This is interesting. The Dumbo 60th Anniversary Disc is one of my favorite discs and the film itself is just pure Disney brilliance. Patrick is exactly right about the "Disney dust" too. :emoji_thumbsup: I am curious about what they would do to "improve" upon the current release. Still, I love classic Disney, so I hope they deliver something great for this one.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
I never quite saw any problem with the pq of the Dumbo DVD. The problem I had with this disc was that it wouldn't stop - the only way to stop it was to eject it.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing that ultra-clean cel-direct pre-film look that the more recent Disney animated classics have exhibited... but yeah, the existing DVD is wonderful just as it is.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I love Disney classic cartooons and didn't see much wrong with the last Dumbo.
What irks me is Disneys priorities.
What we need is what we have never gotten from them - a good looking and good sounding Pinocchio.

Marc Fedderman

Second Unit

Absolutely, not to mention that the current disc is as bare as bones get. You know the manufacturers were stretching when they listed full-color disc art as a "bonus" feature.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with the current Dumbo incarnation.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

I agree!

We need a brand new remastered transfer with a commentary track, the old making-of alongside a new more extensive documentary and the 3 Figaro short cartoons!

Also a seperate disc for the 20, "I'm No Fool" and "You And Your", Jiminy Cricket cartoons would be amazing!

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Wasn't a Platinum-type edition of PINOCCHIO released in another region within the last couple of years? What the hell is taking Disney so long to release it here? PINOCCHIO was the very first Disney animated DVD way back in 1999 (well, not counting that Beauty and the Beast Christmas thing), so it's long than overdue for a revisit.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor

The 60th Anniversary version that I own is far from bare bones. They are about 14 extras and none of them are listed as disc art.

Something tells me that Disney is just going to repackage this one as there really isn't anything wrong with it.

For being only 64 minutes long, I doubt the movie needs its own disc.

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
Wasn't Pinocchio always used as a format launcher for the animated films? I would expect it would maintain that distinction for HD DVD - if they follow past history.

JoeJ

Agent

A Special Edition was released everywhere outside the US, and whilst the restoration was nice (though a little sterile), aside from that, there was nothing to write home about, and no mono track. I'd wait for the Platinum Edition, it will be worth it.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
That box art is hideous. Dumbo is one of my favorite Disney films, so I am sure I will pikc this up, but the current 60th Anniversary disc is a great one...

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I agree that the boxart is absolutely hideous! I think I would rather remove the art and have an empty black box on the shelf.:frowning:

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I have a sneeking suspicion that Disney will not put a 4:3 title out as their premiere hi-def release. I wouldn't mind being wrong, though.

Regards,

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
what is this lame crap?

does this mean we won't see a Platinum release for Dumbo?

what the hell is even the point of this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks