Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Dumbo SE - 6/13/06

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

#1 of 44 OFFLINE   Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 01:07 AM

http://www.ultimated...y.com/index.htm

Yet another classic, I am guessing it will probably be released in some sort of high-def format as well. Maybe?

#2 of 44 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 01:22 AM

Interesting News!

This has always been and most likely always will be my favorite Disney film. I loved the first SE, but the picture could have used some improvement.

If they give the master clean-up that it deserves than count me in. This smells suspiciously like a re-packaging though.

#3 of 44 OFFLINE   DouglasBr

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 01:55 AM

Glad I held off from the current release, I guess. I always had this suspicion they might revisit it before a hidef version.

#4 of 44 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,474 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted January 20 2006 - 04:50 AM

The only things Disney could add to Dumbo are original mono and give the film its own DVD-9 (2-disc). The original DVD is excellent in every way, so I don't know why a new edition is needed.

Some people didn't like the transfer, but it's one of the few Disney features on DVD with the natural film grain intact. Absolutely no dirt, specks, or even cel dust.

#5 of 44 OFFLINE   ZackR

ZackR

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 04:59 AM

This is interesting. The Dumbo 60th Anniversary Disc is one of my favorite discs and the film itself is just pure Disney brilliance. Patrick is exactly right about the "Disney dust" too. Posted Image I am curious about what they would do to "improve" upon the current release. Still, I love classic Disney, so I hope they deliver something great for this one.
You'll Believe A Man Can Fly
DVDAF

#6 of 44 OFFLINE   Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor

• 725 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 08:39 AM

I never quite saw any problem with the pq of the Dumbo DVD. The problem I had with this disc was that it wouldn't stop - the only way to stop it was to eject it.

#7 of 44 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,686 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 12:45 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if they're doing that ultra-clean cel-direct pre-film look that the more recent Disney animated classics have exhibited... but yeah, the existing DVD is wonderful just as it is.

#8 of 44 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 02:34 PM

I love Disney classic cartooons and didn't see much wrong with the last Dumbo.
What irks me is Disneys priorities.
What we need is what we have never gotten from them - a good looking and good sounding Pinocchio.

#9 of 44 OFFLINE   Marc Fedderman

Marc Fedderman

Second Unit

• 441 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 05:25 PM

Quote:
What we need is what we have never gotten from them - a good looking and good sounding Pinocchio.

Absolutely, not to mention that the current disc is as bare as bones get. You know the manufacturers were stretching when they listed full-color disc art as a "bonus" feature.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with the current Dumbo incarnation.

#10 of 44 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted January 21 2006 - 03:27 AM

Quote:

I agree!

We need a brand new remastered transfer with a commentary track, the old making-of alongside a new more extensive documentary and the 3 Figaro short cartoons!

Also a seperate disc for the 20, "I'm No Fool" and "You And Your", Jiminy Cricket cartoons would be amazing!

#11 of 44 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,686 posts

Posted January 21 2006 - 05:57 AM

Wasn't a Platinum-type edition of PINOCCHIO released in another region within the last couple of years? What the hell is taking Disney so long to release it here? PINOCCHIO was the very first Disney animated DVD way back in 1999 (well, not counting that Beauty and the Beast Christmas thing), so it's long than overdue for a revisit.

#12 of 44 OFFLINE   Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted January 21 2006 - 02:02 PM

Quote:
Absolutely, not to mention that the current disc is as bare as bones get. You know the manufacturers were stretching when they listed full-color disc art as a "bonus" feature.

The 60th Anniversary version that I own is far from bare bones. They are about 14 extras and none of them are listed as disc art.

Something tells me that Disney is just going to repackage this one as there really isn't anything wrong with it.

For being only 64 minutes long, I doubt the movie needs its own disc.

#13 of 44 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,249 posts

Posted January 21 2006 - 02:28 PM

Quote:
The 60th Anniversary version that I own is far from bare bones. They are about 14 extras and none of them are listed as disc art.

That comment refers to Pinocchio, not Dumbo...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#14 of 44 OFFLINE   Al (alweho)

Al (alweho)

Second Unit

• 268 posts

Posted January 21 2006 - 04:25 PM

Quote:
Wasn't Pinocchio always used as a format launcher for the animated films? I would expect it would maintain that distinction for HD DVD - if they follow past history.
"Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

#15 of 44 OFFLINE   JoeJ

JoeJ

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted January 30 2006 - 04:55 AM

Quote:
Wasn't a Platinum-type edition of PINOCCHIO released in another region within the last couple of years? What the hell is taking Disney so long to release it here? PINOCCHIO was the very first Disney animated DVD way back in 1999 (well, not counting that Beauty and the Beast Christmas thing), so it's long than overdue for a revisit.

A Special Edition was released everywhere outside the US, and whilst the restoration was nice (though a little sterile), aside from that, there was nothing to write home about, and no mono track. I'd wait for the Platinum Edition, it will be worth it.
-Joe

#16 of 44 OFFLINE   Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted March 30 2006 - 03:18 PM

Early artwork posted at dvdactive: http://www.dvdactive...ses/dumbo2.html

#17 of 44 OFFLINE   ZackR

ZackR

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted March 30 2006 - 11:07 PM

That box art is hideous. Dumbo is one of my favorite Disney films, so I am sure I will pikc this up, but the current 60th Anniversary disc is a great one...
You'll Believe A Man Can Fly
DVDAF

#18 of 44 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted March 31 2006 - 12:28 AM

I agree that the boxart is absolutely hideous! I think I would rather remove the art and have an empty black box on the shelf.Posted Image

#19 of 44 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,077 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted March 31 2006 - 12:54 AM

Quote:
Wasn't Pinocchio always used as a format launcher for the animated films? I would expect it would maintain that distinction for HD DVD - if they follow past history.
I have a sneeking suspicion that Disney will not put a 4:3 title out as their premiere hi-def release. I wouldn't mind being wrong, though.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#20 of 44 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted March 31 2006 - 02:34 AM

what is this lame crap?

does this mean we won't see a Platinum release for Dumbo?

what the hell is even the point of this?

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow