What's new

upgrading back speakers (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
Hey, I got a 2001 civic LX. there is something messed with the front speakers, they are rattling, but I cant seem to get to the front ones, without doing surgery on the doors, which i would NOT feel comfortable doing. So, that leaves using just the back speakers, Its sounds like crap currently, with stock audio I'm assuming, I got it used.
I was thinking about buying some new speaks for the back, but I don't really know what to get, I have no idea what kind of aplification is in the stock stereo. A lot a speakers at futureshop seem to be advertizing like 150 watts, which to me, seems like way too much. Can I even use these speakers if I'm going to be using my stock stereo to power them, or am I gonna have to look for something that is lower rated power?

Spencer M

Grip
My suggestion would be to just got get a pair of sony or pioneer 2 or 3 way replacements. Nominal power on them will be about 25-35 watts. Your factory radio should have no problem powering them.

PeterK

Supporting Actor
Ya I was looking at the pioneers at futureshop, but I'm also willing to buy online if anyone can link me to something decent in the

PeterK

Supporting Actor
ok, it looks like its a lot harder to get access to these speakers than i though... any help?

like, they screw in from the top, cause i can see it looking up in the trunk, but i cant get to the top from inside the car it would seem, i though i could pry out those little grates, but it looks like they are part of the whole back dash

HELP!

JeffKuo

Auditioning
Any luck getting access? It varies from car to car, but you're likely going to have to remove the rear seats to access the rear deck. The speakers mount to the rear deck from the top, so you can't remove them from the trunk. Basic procedure is remove the rear lower seat, then the seatback. Pull the 3rd brake light, and then the rear deck should come right out.

Honestly, it would be easier to remove your front door panels and diagnose the problem. It would be better than pulling the rear speakers. A rattle is most likely a simple problem. But it wouldn't hurt to upgrade your front speakers if you're going to pull the doors anyways.

FWIW, don't go by the advertised power ratings on most car audio speakers. That's maximum power handling, not RMS. Most moderately priced aftermarket speakers would run just fine off of a factory head unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks