-

Photo
- - - - -

TV shows from iTunes NOT OAR!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 Paul Markey

Paul Markey

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland.

Posted January 19 2006 - 10:19 AM

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, but thought I'd vent my great disappointment in this service. I was delighted when I read that both LOST and BATTLESTAR GALACTICA would be available to download the day after broadcast from iTunes. Then I was gutted when running the file to find out its not 16:9 but standard 4:3. I am willing to pay $1.99 or even twice that BUT not for a SQUARE picture!

#2 of 33 Edward Schatz

Edward Schatz

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted January 19 2006 - 10:52 AM

Probably due to the 4:3 nature of the iPod screen.
Edward

#3 of 33 ElijahS

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted January 19 2006 - 11:00 AM

The shows on iTunes are shown as originally broadcast for 4:3 screens. For example, The Office is shown in widescreen, as is the newest episode of Law & Order (the first to be shown in widescreen only - NBC's gone the way of ER and The West Wing for all three Law & Order series as of a few weeks ago).
- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIPThe all-new drama from the creator of THE WEST WING and SPORTS NIGHTPremiering this fall on NBCThe last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream.

#4 of 33 Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted January 19 2006 - 12:31 PM

people will find anything to complain about, huh?

They are for your ipods, not for you to burn to DVD!!!

#5 of 33 MattGSmith

MattGSmith

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted January 19 2006 - 12:35 PM

Here's a question I've had for awhile now. When you download/pay for an episode, it only stays in your itunes folder on your computer right. It's coded so you can't burn the file to dvd, right?

#6 of 33 ElijahS

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted January 19 2006 - 01:05 PM

Well, either in the iTunes folder or on your iPod. The resolution is great for iPod, but would look like crap on DVD anyway. Honestly, with the size of the screen for iPod, I don't blame Disney or Universal for going with full screen for most of the releases.
- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIPThe all-new drama from the creator of THE WEST WING and SPORTS NIGHTPremiering this fall on NBCThe last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream.

#7 of 33 Dustin James

Dustin James

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted January 19 2006 - 01:33 PM

#8 of 33 Mike Heenan

Mike Heenan

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted January 19 2006 - 01:54 PM

I second what Jay B said... Posted Image

#9 of 33 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,157 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 19 2006 - 02:09 PM

It's fascinating how when 4x3 shows are released on DVD in 16x9, far fewer people complain...

iTunes quality is shit anyway. The bootlegs are honestly 3-4x the resolution and natively widescreen. Personally, I watch on TV then wait for the DVDs. Don't like it, don't buy it. That's all there is to it.

#10 of 33 Edward Schatz

Edward Schatz

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted January 19 2006 - 03:18 PM

Even more loathesome is the fact that the music videos' audio quality is horrible.
Edward

#11 of 33 AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted January 19 2006 - 05:28 PM

What I personally don't get is how a 40-second SNL commercial parody, a 3-minute music video, and a 42-minute episode of Lost all sell for the same price.

#12 of 33 ElijahS

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted January 19 2006 - 05:37 PM

In some cases (the SNL example in particular), it's a way to get you to buy more (you can get one SNL commercial parody for $1.99, or all 24 for $9.99).
- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

#13 of 33 Mike*SC

Mike*SC

Second Unit

• 260 posts

Posted January 19 2006 - 06:33 PM

Quote:
What I personally don't get is how a 40-second SNL commercial parody, a 3-minute music video, and a 42-minute episode of Lost all sell for the same price.

It's all part of Steve Jobs' (so far correct) belief that buying songs and now video online should be as simple as possible. Any individual music track on iTunes is the same 99¢, regardless of length. Same goes for video, now.

#14 of 33 Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted January 19 2006 - 10:51 PM

Quote:
Then I was gutted when running the file to find out its not 16:9 but standard 4:3.

A recent episode of Battlestar Galactica that I downloaded is approximately 1.60:1. Not OAR, but close.

Lost is broadcast in many markets at 4:3, so for many markets that would be the broadcast AR.

Given the size of the screen of the iPod - the device these videos are intended for, one can understand the reasoning of wanting to fill the screen.

Quote:
iTunes quality is shit anyway. The bootlegs are honestly 3-4x the resolution and natively widescreen.

On a 2.5 inch iPod screen, the video resolution is more than adequate. The resolution is approximately VHS resolution, so blowing it up will not satisfy a videofile. As for bootlegs... besides the illegality, people aren't generally trying to play those back on a 2.5 inch screen. iTunes video is not geared to the videophile, and is optimized for a small screen. Different market.

-Scott

#15 of 33 seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 03:05 AM

Quote:
It's all part of Steve Jobs' (so far correct) belief that buying songs and now video online should be as simple as possible. Any individual music track on iTunes is the same 99¢, regardless of length. Same goes for video, now.

I prefer the business model for Yahoo's music store -- a flat monthly rate ($5.99 I think) for unlimited downloads. Unfortunately, they use a format that's incompatible with an iPod.

I might buy iTunes video if they had a similar deal (or even a per-show subscription), but as it stands now, downloading an entire season of Lost costs more than the DVDs.
My Blog
Les Miserables Volume 1 with my reading of "Four and Four"
Librivox Short Story Collection 34 with my reading of Jack London's "War"

#16 of 33 ElijahS

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 03:23 AM

So far, I've downloaded six episodes of programming from iTunes (two for free - SciFi's Battlestar Galactica special and the fourth season premiere of Monk). Of the four I purchased (the two most recent episodes of Desperate Housewives and Commander In Chief), it was because I was missing those episodes for something else (specifically, 24 and Scrubs).
- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

#17 of 33 Mike*SC

Mike*SC

Second Unit

• 260 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 03:48 AM

Nobody, certainly not Apple, is claiming that iTunes video is a substitute for DVD. The people I know who have video iPods use them (the video part, anyway) for train or plane commutes. (Actually, one watches hers surreptitiously at work.) I have not bought any shows yet (I tried a free download, just to check it out), but if I accidentally miss an episode of a favorite show and it's available on iTunes the next day, I'll probably buy it to watch on my computer.

#18 of 33 Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted January 20 2006 - 05:38 AM

I've downloaded a few shows from iTunes, mostly from when my stupid Motorola DVR (Adelphia) decided not to record a show. (I've since dumped the DVR and gone with a Panasonic DVD Recorder with HD and TVGuide on Screen - no High Def recording but more reliable and no service fee)

I know everything on TV is available and easy to find for free, but if it's available legally on a pay-per-episode basis, I prefer to support the practice in hopes that they will not only continue the offerings, but increase options, as well.

-Scott

#19 of 33 Paul Markey

Paul Markey

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland.

Posted January 22 2006 - 10:26 AM

I dont have an ipod and dont burn the files to DVD, but have my PC connected to my widescreen LCD television, on which I watch downloaded TV shows - hence my complaint in launching this thread. I would much prefer to pay and download shows from official sources than go through weekly bootleg means to watch them. As it stands the unofficial files of the shows are far supperior.

#20 of 33 Edward Schatz

Edward Schatz

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted January 22 2006 - 10:31 AM

I still think it's fair to point out that you are downloading files designed to played on a tiny iPod screen. I highly doubt Apple thinks that people are downloading these episodes and them blowing them up on an LCD. Why not just buy the DVDs? Of course they cost more but....
Edward

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow